• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi guys just wondering what you AK fans opinions are of different AK manufacturers in order of best on down. You don’t have to own it just have handled it at some point.

AK47s met overseas
    Russian milled AK. Smoothest action, fixed, ran great

Russian stamped AK. Great fit n finish, ran like a sewing machine

Chinese Spiker stamped. All but one ran great, like the built in bayonet.

Iraqi feyedeen chrome plated(garbage) Nikel plated novelty gun. Hacked to a 7-8 in barrel, custom Iraqi handguard fell off during full auto

Domestic AK rifles.
    Russian Arsenal/FIME converted Saiga. Russian Izzy quality. Smooth action. Laser straight conversions.

Chicoms. Polytech or Norinco. These are quality examples made more towards the original design of the AK as opposed to the AKM.

Arsenal Bulgaria. Awesome AK examples. Almost neck and neck with the Arsenal SGL some would say better

Hungarian. Nice parts kit build. Receiver dependent on overall quality.

Romanian SAR1/WASR. These things just run. Poorest fit and finish lumpy actions, frequent canted sights. But man these things just run and run.

These are just my observations of AKs I have run into over the years. Wish I could own them all but unfortunately I can’t. Lucky enough to have handled them overseas and friends AKs stateside.

Would love to hear about opap npap variants

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm a big fan of Arsenal for recent imports. I only have experience with milled variants though. I've owned a couple Chinese variants but they've all been stamped. Have a preban 56S and post ban MAK 90. Great rifles with a proven pedigree. I think my preban Hungarian SA85M is nicer though as far as fit and finish. If you can find a preban or postman, buy it!! Very underrated AK. I'm still on the hunt for a post ban version. I've missed out on a few and won't be happy until there's one in the safe. Egyptian Maadi's, depending on the importer, are very nice. Preban would be a Steyr import and they're rare and command a huge premium compared to post ban versions. I've had my hands on 2 and they were awesome!! Went for big $$ too. Stay away from Misr 90 or Misr 10. They're a hodge podge of Chinese parts on Egyptian receivers built by Century. Run, don't walk away from these variants. Romanian imports are great workhorses but don't have the greatest fit and finish. And then we have Yugo's. Be careful with them because they don't take standard furniture and are harder to modify. I still consider myself a novice on AK's but this is what I've learned/experienced thus far. I try and buy guns that are rare or would be considered a future collectable so I might be different than your average AK enthusiast. Having said that, I do have a Romanian AK that's a no frills work horse. I have a VEPR too, but it makes my milled AK's feel like a regular stamped AK. I'd like to get a Saiga but that will be next year at the earliest. Might ask for it for Christmas. I'm sure I'll think of more later but that's it off the top of my head.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Joe what are the main differences between the Romi version and the Maadi? I handled a Maadi and besides the finish everything between the Maadi and Romi seemed the same, well besides the Maadi I seen had a paint on finish and arabic selector markings which I thought was pretty cool.

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Maadi's were built on Russian tooling along with the Egyptian engineers were trained by the Russians on how to build them. As close to a real Russian AKM as you can get. Just stay away from the MISR marked rifles. If you aren't sure from internet pics or you don't want to ask the owner any additional info you can look at the front trunnion and pay attention to the rivets. Chinese AK's have a staggered setup for the rivets. A real Maadi has them both at the top. You can also look at the BCG finish but that's not always the best way. Never know what Century did when they built the MISR rifles. They did whatever was cheapest to put a product out and make a profit.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Awesome info Joe. That's perfect man. I now know what to look for when I check one out. The only thing I was looking at was the selector marking and paint finish. This helps out tremendously man thanks again

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No problem. Just don't get one locally before me! Lol. Markings don't matter since Century used Maadi receivers. It's the trunnion and how the barrel is attached that matters. It's blatantly obvious once you know what to look for.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Awesome man. So as far as components and build quality, the Maadi outshines the Romi in your opinion? Sounds like it does. I read the barrels are better too and from your description of what to look for, the Maadi should blow the Romi out of the water.

closest one ive seen is a guy selling one in Tampa for 1200 but he had it tacticooled out which to me drives down the price on these particular firearms instead of increase it. He had magpul all around and although quality I would want the original furniture which he said he did not have.

Not being a wealthy guy myself, I have to really choose which are keepers and what to trade off or sell towards something more collectible. Its just the mind frame I am in right now is I want to collect more instead of just get a run of the mill AK. But I am a shooter and will shoot every "collectible" I own regardless.

Reason I have been asking the difference between the Maadi and Romi is cause I would have to trade or sell my Romi to get at a Maadi. Just don't want to regret it cause my Romi has been absolutely rock solid thru 4k rounds. Its a SAR1 styled in a BFPU look. I bought it when I was 18 and has more sentimental value than anything I guess. That allure of Egyptian made AK with Steyr barrels? That is tough to pass up.

I keep hoping for more African countries to join NATO and de mill their AKs into parts kits and flood us with them. Talk about luck of the draw in terms of quality but there would be parts kits from pretty much every country that ever made an AK. That would be sweet. I think NDS and Morrissey have cracked the code on making a decent U.S. receiver, so mated up with a decent parts kit and a good builder, we may have the opportunity to get some nice AKs on the market and drive the prices down a bit.

I like the WASR rifle well enough but 700 for one is kinda crazy considering what it is. Though I have handled a fellow forum members new WASR example and I can honestly say they have come a long way from the days of etchostencil and 45 degree sights lol.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    DSCN3357.JPG DSCN3359.JPG

Even seen a milled AK with these markings? Receiver marked SLR 100H and imported from Bulgaria. 1 of about 200 built for Vector.

Attachments

• DSCN3357.JPG
      DSCN3357.JPG
      95.9 KB · Views: 196
    • DSCN3359.JPG
      DSCN3359.JPG
      116.6 KB · Views: 194

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll take a stab at it. Just from the little I read about it. It is a Bulgarian made receiver (Awesome!) the "H" denotes that Hungarian kits were to be built on them. I think I read there should be a G somewhere on the barrel, maybe under the handguard meaning it is original kit otherwise the barrel is likely U.S. and swapped out sometime. Not a biggie if a good one was used.

Just from the couple of pictures the Fit and finish looks excellent. Using correct milled parts in the selector and top cover. If it is a fixed stock in Cal 7.62 you can go a couple of ways with it or leave it be completely as is. Quality piece you have there.

Lot of conflicting talk on who actually built the rifle vs importing it, so Gordon may have built the rifle if there is another importer stamp on there somewhere. If marked Arsenal or Circle 10 anywhere on the receiver you can rest assured it is 100% Bulgarian made. Likely the FCG is American as can be noted with the slight deformation of the carrier bolt tail, no biggie at all, just the nature of the beast. Standard operating procedure for combloc guns coming to the US. Guessing the furniture is all U.S. made as well and probably little things like the gas piston and muzzle device.

Depending on your front sight block having the built in 24mm threads or the barrel being thread 14x1LH, can help you take it which way you want to. Either a AK103 clone or standard AKM. The cool thing about that rifle is the selector side of the receiver is left blank so if it is marked Circle 10 Bulgy you can replicate the Bulgy engravings and selector cutouts yourself, giving it a more authentic look that your average Arsenal AK. You can mark it with a Circle 10 symbol as well for "aesthetics"

Could not give you a definitive value on a sweet rifle like that but I for one would not sell it at all and if I did it would not be cheap. You figure a Bulgarian milled receiver itself cost north of $500. Then a Hungarian parts kit is going to be a pretty penny as well. Add in what is likely KVAR furniture and a quality build, that rifle is worth a pretty penny to right AK guy. Especially if has a combloc barrel in there.

This is just my opinion based on limited knowledge of it and not seeing all the markings. So long as there is not some crazy wear going on at the front or rear trunnions and bolt then you have yourself a keeper right there my friend.

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Definitely a keeper Daezee! I've read a little bit about Gordon Technologies but I'm far from a source of knowledge about them. I'm sure some collect them. I know there aren't too many out there and they built a few different models. They're mainly found around TX because thats where they were based out of IIRC. You know who to contact when you're ready to sell though. :wink:

Red, If you see a numbers matching Maadi for less than a thousand, buy it! They're well worth it. The one I looked at when we still lived in TN sold for around $800 and the top cover was the only piece that didn't match. The one for $1200 is high but that's not an unheard of price. They tend to be found not by looking for them though. Just have to keep your eyes open and be ready when they pop up for sale. Preban Steyr imports tend to hover around $3k depending on condition and what all comes with it. MISR franken guns are usually $600ish because people think they're getting a deal on it not knowing what it really is. Sometimes even more than that. Always pays to do your homework before any purchase. I've been burned before on deals and if I can help it, I'd rather not have it happen again. Hard and expensive lesson learned.

Top Bottom