• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Just looking for some knowledge. When you push the mag release button on your pistol is it the mag spring that pushes out the empty mag? Just wondering because I some older ones that don't pop out like I would expect them to. I am wondering if it is time to rebuild them.

While we are on this topic, do you keep mags fully loaded? How often do you rotate them out? I know there is a lot of online debate on this, but just wanted some local views.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    When you push the mag release button on your pistol is it the mag spring that pushes out the empty mag?

no. gravity is what ejects the magazine. although, the magazine spring is under tension when the pistol is in battery which helps a little.

Just wondering because I some older ones that don't pop out like I would expect them to. I am wondering if it is time to rebuild them.

what pistol? possibly binding somewhere. steel mags can bend out of spec. lock the slide back and insert the magazine to check for binding while pressing on the magazine release. there should not be any resistance.

While we are on this topic, do you keep mags fully loaded? How often do you rotate them out? I know there is a lot of online debate on this, but just wanted some local views.

no harm in leaving the magazine loaded for extended period. compressing and decompressing is what fatigues the spring.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    No. The guy I got it from used it for competition.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'd take a caliper to the problem mag and compare measurements to a good one. competition mags gets banged up and stepped on

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    While we are on this topic, do you keep mags fully loaded? How often do you rotate them out?

I posted some time ago that I have several OEM Glock mags fully loaded sitting in a desk drawer, just to test for spring fatigue. They've been loaded at least 5 years now, maybe longer. There is no doubt in my mind they will work flawlessly.
    Whether your springs need changing due to fatigue, depends on the spring manufacturer. Usually OEM springs will last, and usually generic springs will fail if kept fully loaded for extended periods of time. I use the word "usually" as it is not absolute. Just really depends on the metal and treatment used by the manufacturer. I have a Scherer 30rd mag for Glock, and that spring failed within a month (maybe it was just 2 weeks) of being fully loaded. Swapped it out with a OEM Glock spring and had zero problems. Even tho Glock makes a drop-free mag, I prefer mine not to drop out, but that's me.
    There are a considerable amount of posts on the net about M&P mags not dropping, etc., with "their" corrective procedures. Maybe one will work for you?

* Spring fatigue deals with FTF (Fail to Feed), chambering ammo.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom