• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great points all fellas. While I see where we could tighten up checks or regulate this or that in a way that has no effect on a regular firearm enthusiast, I have to keep reminding myself that give an inch take a mile thing. IMO unfortunately it would be another concession on our part without any reciprocity on theirs.

So even if it “makes sense” to the anti gun crowd, unless they are willing to give up some dumb rules on their end, which of course they don’t think are dumb then I have to agree with those that say don’t give an inch. Reading different responses changed my mindset to the don’t give an inch mantra because it’s true all they want is to chip away little by little with no guns being their ultimate goal.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I just wish there was a standard transfer fee when dealing with an FFL. Some will do the transfer for as little as $20 or even less and then others want $50 or more. I think if FFL transfer were more reasonable in cost, say a standard $10 fee then people would be more apt to use them. It's a phone call or computer check that the buyer does 90% of the work by filling out the form.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well there's the problem, the left can agree on what they want,But some of you are a little confused or so it seems. You can't make any thing fool proof as long as any one has a gun there will be deaths caused by them, just like hammers, screwdrivers, kitchen knifes, Clubs, motorcycles and any number of things that are used in day to day life.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Only two places in town charge $20. Everyone else is $35 and up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just wish there was a standard transfer fee when dealing with an FFL. Some will do the transfer for as little as $20 or even less and then others want $50 or more. I think if FFL transfer were more reasonable in cost, say a standard $10 fee then people would be more apt to use them. It's a phone call or computer check that the buyer does 90% of the work by filling out the form.

The last thing we need is more government regulation on business. If one FFL wants $50 and another wants $20 or less go to the guy who wants less. It's what Free Market Capitalism is all about. If nobody went to the guy who charges $50 he would either lower his prices or go out of business. If people continue to use his overpriced services he will keep the price high, maybe even raise it again.

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    NO! If anyone agrees, then would a minor $5 fee be so bad for the peace of mind you would get? Well, since there is a system in place already would it be too hard to do the transaction where someone already has access as this would save millions of dollars making a seperate but interfaced system? Since we all want to grow the economy, especially small business, you wouldn't mind paying the FFL for his time doing the transferdo you? Its just common sense, bait and switch.

Every background check and 4473 IS A Record. There have already been caught having records that were mandated to be destroyed. Ask yourself this: If the background check were really only about checking "your backdround", why in the hell does the Gov/State need to know the exact type, Mfr, model, caliber, and serial number of what you are buying? The item either requires you to be 18 or 21 to qualify nothing more. The Gov/State wants all the info so they can track you and the firearm IN THE FUTURE! The only way the Gov/State can track who received the firearm last lawfully: is with universal background checks.

What the OP fails to address is non-sale changes on ownership, temporary firearm loans, firearm rentals, use by students during training, bona fide gifts and so on. Lets tighten this further: can your firearms be "accessed" by someone else? Even a family member under the same roof? Got any guns built before serial numbers were required? Now you need to add a Ser#. Its all about possession, who can and who can't.

The OPs other issue regarding who he can trust to buy or sell too is his choice, he can utilize a FFLs services right now to complete a transaction; he just needs to pay the fee and have the other party agree to handle it that way. No need to burden anybody else for a few individuals who want to conduct private (Lol) business that way.

Don't be suckered! Just look at the "Grandfather" exemptions placed in Laws as "compromise" so you can keep your currently owned XXXX but no new XXXX are allowed. Its gives you the comfort of "I got mine screw those that don't and following generations of Citizens". Until the Gov/State decides they want yours to and revoke the Grandfather Clause and you kiss you gear goodbye or bury it. Gov loves to make honest citizens into criminals with the stroke of a pen.
    I agree. Well written.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Only two places in town charge $20. Everyone else is $35 and up.

I use a guy in Milton . He works out of his house and charges $20.00 for the transaction. I had 2 transferred at the same time once and it was still only $20.00 He told me it was per transaction not gun. I assume he is still $20.00 it has been a year since I used him.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well this morning they said over 20% of felons are not reported in the first place and few mental issues are reported...so what good is the current FFL and call in system really? The face to face selling/trading of weapons is not even addressed, there are NO records or tracking...so basically the system we have now is almost useless and just a feel good measure.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I use KT Tactical in Bagdad on my way to the office.
    Great people.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I think there was some clarity today when the USAF came foreword and admitted they screwed up by not putting the shooters info of his domestic violence conviction via court martial in the system. Some one screwed up. Hopefully they will go back and check all of thier convictions to make sure the info hits the system. I'm personally more concerned with the fact that folks under Dr's care for mental issues don't get in the system due to HIPPA laws myself. More shooters seem to fit that profile more and more....think Sandyhook, Virginia Tech, Columbine, etc. Now on the idea of a new system for folks to check on others background....I'm a big 'NO'. Take a look at the no fly list. If by some chance you find your name on that list, good luck trying to figure a way to petition anyone to have your name removed, even if you're Mother Teresa, are no rules to be de-listed, seems to be powered by hocus-pocus.

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    While in the AF, the murderer was also confined in a mental instution from which he escaped! He was caught and arrested at a bus sto soon after. Since a Voluntary mental health admission can just sign your self out, his must have been a involuntary commitment and if adjudicated a mental defective = Restricted person: and no disqualifying Record sent on that issue either!

Not knowing the specific UCMJ Articles under which his domestic battery (X2) convictions fell under, it is hard to determine if it was a felony or misdemeanor with a penalty "exceeding one year in jail". News has reports a 12 month Sentence but legally that does not exceed one year.
    Anyone with a military discharge level below Honorable can request a Review/Upgrade. If this was requested and approved, it could in fact eliminate the the Restricted Person Discharge Disqualification.

A military conviction for Domestic Violence is also subject to the Lautenberg Ammendments firearms and ammo Restriction.

With four strikes against him, its hard to believe none were Offically documented as disqualifying".

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    While in the AF, the murderer was also confined in a mental instution from which he escaped! He was caught and arrested at a bus sto soon after. Since a Voluntary mental health admission can just sign your self out, his must have been a involuntary commitment and if adjudicated a mental defective = Restricted person: and no disqualifying Record sent on that issue either!

Not knowing the specific UCMJ Articles under which his domestic battery (X2) convictions fell under, it is hard to determine if it was a felony or misdemeanor with a penalty "exceeding one year in jail". News has reports a 12 month Sentence but legally that does not exceed one year.
    Anyone with a military discharge level below Honorable can request a Review/Upgrade. If this was requested and approved, it could in fact eliminate the the Restricted Person Discharge Disqualification.

A military conviction for Domestic Violence is also subject to the Lautenberg Ammendments firearms and ammo Restriction.

With four strikes against him, its hard to believe none were Offically documented as disqualifying".
    The whole thing seems weird to me. How did he slip through so many cracks.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The whole thing seems weird to me. How did he slip through so many cracks.

Just think about when you apply for any type of permit or thing with a government agency! It sits on someone's desk or gets lost etc... I work for the DOD. Some of the processes in place have no accountability if something is lost or forgotten about! There are unfortunately many ways for this to happen. There's always too many hoops to jump through to get something done. And each red tape step is a place for an error

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No. There's enough crap on me in multiple databases that government can't seem to keep secure, so I'm sure not gonna volunteer more information. Start keeping track of the criminals and wackos and leave the good guys alone.

Top Bottom