• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    So after the latest shooting I had a passing thought and was curious if something like this was already out there and also what you guys think on it.

How would you guys feel if the gment funded a background check system that was free to use via a hotline or mobile app that interfaced with a website?

So when you purchase a firearm anywhere, it does a basic check to confirm the guy isnt a felon, dishonorable discharged etc. The required fields would be first name, last name, middle name, dob, sex and race. And in a perfect scenario thered be a DL pic.

Could also add an additional step and add the authorization number from this check when buying or selling a gun to a bill of sale.

I'm pretty against tighter gun control in general but to me something like this would be great for straw purchase and hold some accountability in the process.

So what do you guys think?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Identity theft would be my concern.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Don’t think I would like it
    Had my drivers license suspended by Floridas Escambia county because someone ran a stop sign. They had the same name and date of birth as me. First I knew of was the letter I received saying my drivers license was suspended for failure to appear. When I called to question the suspension I was told to come on over and then I could get an answer. Instead I called my Moms friend Mrs. Hunt at the DMV. The individual who got the ticket had given a Brenton(Brewton-fn spell check),Al. address and was black. How the officer missed all that I’ll never know but when Mrs. Hunt called me back the first thing she said was Mark your still white aren’t you, then she said she had it all straightened out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    My short answer...no. "Give a mouse a cookie", "give an inch, take a mile", and other commonly used references to universal background checks

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Invasion of privacy.
    I'm a good guy. You should have to proove that i'm not. I shouldn't have to proove that I am.
    Also . . . I'm not a FFL. Don't treat me like I am. --- SAWMAN

mtbbrewer74

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Very good points. Unfortunately some people are not as trustworthy as I would like them to be. I have been fortunate so far, but compared to most of you guys I have only made a few transactions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SC-Texas

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No, we as gun owners do not compromise. We have compromised in the past to the gun grabbers and they have never once compromised with us.

You have to remember that their ultimate, long term goal is to get all guns out of the hands of non-government actors and into the hands of the government. that is their one and only goal. they ae playing the long game.

We have to remember that each compromise we make and have made has reduced our rights and ability to defend our selves and our families.

remember those dates. They are important.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nope!!!!!!

I don't need anyone to say how I can or cannot sell my personal property that is a simple tool. That's where I think many so called pro 2nd amendment people get sucked into this "common sense" stuff! A firearm is a tool! It's a piece o personal property just like a shovel, a hammer, or any other tool with a purpose! It is a specialized tool for certain uses. I don't need the government to get involved with how I choose to sell my own personal property!

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Very good points. Unfortunately some people are not as trustworthy as I would like them to be.

It's not on you to be the know it all detective to sell a piece of personal property to another person. It's not up to you to determine if they are trustworthy or not etc...

I may get some backlash for this. But if you want to buy a gun from me (I don't sell hardly any! I think I've only sold two before), and you have cash, and you don't tell me you are a prohibited person, I'm not going to check into you and you'll buy it! I'm selling you a tool. If that person decides to commit a crime with that firearm, that's not on me!!!!! That's on that person! I am sick of people trying to do pre-crime somehow! Criminals are going to be criminals no matter what! It's not up to me to police the world with what they are going to do in their lives.

People are always asking me, well won't you be upset if the person you sold the gun to kills someone etc...? I will feel the same no matter what. It was not me that shot/killed the person. They say, "well you sold them the gun." Yep, I sold them a tool and did nothing wrong. I don't think of a firearm as anything other than a purpose built tool.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I think it is on the buyer...I would feel bad if I sold a car, and the buyer kills 4 people in a headon after happy hour...but not responsible for his driving record....or his drinking habits, I trust he has some sense..

our money still says for all debts, public and private, and I prefer privacy, due to my knowledge of history, and how well goverments handle sensitive information..

I would not volunteer to have any information on a list, public or private.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I think it is on the buyer...I would feel bad if I sold a car, and the buyer kills 4 people in a headon after happy hour...but not responsible for his driving record....or his drinking habits, I trust he has some sense..<BR><BR>our money still says for all debts, public and private, and I prefer privacy, due to my knowledge of history, and how well goverments handle sensitive information..<BR><BR><BR>I would not volunteer to have any information on a list, public or private.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds like a good first step towards gun registration. I'm sure the libs would love it.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Just a theoretical, if they removed sbr and suppressor off NFA, we'd be a lot more willing to compromise.
    All the bastards want is to take in order to disarm and control.

Last edited:

Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just an observation but me Dad was a Navy gunner in WWII. He always said to control the enemy and population you must strike and disarm everyone. That way you know your unit/ship is safe. Anyone trying to take away our rights to defend ourselves from enemies both foreign and domestic are trying to disarm the population so I say no to private background checks.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No need for this, just go to a FFL pay his fee and let him do the back ground check. If I'm selling something and think something is wrong or just get a uneasy feeling, then I won't sell. But that's me if you want to list all your personal information for strangers, then by all means do so.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    NO! If anyone agrees, then would a minor $5 fee be so bad for the peace of mind you would get? Well, since there is a system in place already would it be too hard to do the transaction where someone already has access as this would save millions of dollars making a seperate but interfaced system? Since we all want to grow the economy, especially small business, you wouldn't mind paying the FFL for his time doing the transferdo you? Its just common sense, bait and switch.

Every background check and 4473 IS A Record. There have already been caught having records that were mandated to be destroyed. Ask yourself this: If the background check were really only about checking "your backdround", why in the hell does the Gov/State need to know the exact type, Mfr, model, caliber, and serial number of what you are buying? The item either requires you to be 18 or 21 to qualify nothing more. The Gov/State wants all the info so they can track you and the firearm IN THE FUTURE! The only way the Gov/State can track who received the firearm last lawfully: is with universal background checks.

What the OP fails to address is non-sale changes on ownership, temporary firearm loans, firearm rentals, use by students during training, bona fide gifts and so on. Lets tighten this further: can your firearms be "accessed" by someone else? Even a family member under the same roof? Got any guns built before serial numbers were required? Now you need to add a Ser#. Its all about possession, who can and who can't.

The OPs other issue regarding who he can trust to buy or sell too is his choice, he can utilize a FFLs services right now to complete a transaction; he just needs to pay the fee and have the other party agree to handle it that way. No need to burden anybody else for a few individuals who want to conduct private (Lol) business that way.

Don't be suckered! Just look at the "Grandfather" exemptions placed in Laws as "compromise" so you can keep your currently owned XXXX but no new XXXX are allowed. Its gives you the comfort of "I got mine screw those that don't and following generations of Citizens". Until the Gov/State decides they want yours to and revoke the Grandfather Clause and you kiss you gear goodbye or bury it. Gov loves to make honest citizens into criminals with the stroke of a pen.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    NO! If anyone agrees, then would a minor $5 fee be so bad for the peace of mind you would get? Well, since there is a system in place already would it be too hard to do the transaction where someone already has access as this would save millions of dollars making a seperate but interfaced system? Since we all want to grow the economy, especially small business, you wouldn't mind paying the FFL for his time doing the transferdo you? Its just common sense, bait and switch.

Every background check and 4473 IS A Record. There have already been caught having records that were mandated to be destroyed. Ask yourself this: If the background check were really only about checking "your backdround", why in the hell does the Gov/State need to know the exact type, Mfr, model, caliber, and serial number of what you are buying? The item either requires you to be 18 or 21 to qualify nothing more. The Gov/State wants all the info so they can track you and the firearm IN THE FUTURE! The only way the Gov/State can track who received the firearm last lawfully: is with universal background checks.

What the OP fails to address is non-sale changes on ownership, temporary firearm loans, firearm rentals, use by students during training, bona fide gifts and so on. Lets tighten this further: can your firearms be "accessed" by someone else? Even a family member under the same roof? Got any guns built before serial numbers were required? Now you need to add a Ser#. Its all about possession, who can and who can't.

The OPs other issue regarding who he can trust to buy or sell too is his choice, he can utilize a FFLs services right now to complete a transaction; he just needs to pay the fee and have the other party agree to handle it that way. No need to burden anybody else for a few individuals who want to conduct private (Lol) business that way.

Don't be suckered! Just look at the "Grandfather" exemptions placed in Laws as "compromise" so you can keep your currently owned XXXX but no new XXXX are allowed. Its gives you the comfort of "I got mine screw those that don't and following generations of Citizens". Until the Gov/State decides they want yours to and revoke the Grandfather Clause and you kiss you gear goodbye or bury it. Gov loves to make honest citizens into criminals with the stroke of a pen.

Well written an I agree %100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    there is already a database, let individuals do the same call in the FFL does without the paperwork if they wish. I really prefer the selling on a forum where members are known to others.

Last edited:

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    A lot of good points and you're probably right. Imo it's a sad world that we live in when gun rights are considered as a political point instead of something that makes sense. I agree though, you're probably right. They'd probably use it to more closely track guns and it could be abused.

Also, it looks like the TX shooter purchased the firearm from a dealer... the Air Force dropped the ball on not documented to the FBI that he wasn't allowed to purchase.

And yeah... the SHARE act seemed like it was on track to get passed prior to the Vegas shooting. I'm sure libs are going to somehow try to blame suppressors on this, too (or at the very least say how much worse it would have been if he had one lol).

Top Bottom