• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi guys,
    I am very familiar with the AR14/M4 series of America's rifle. There are so many variations that it is hard to nail down a one size fits all. I have kinda been bite by the black rifle bug again and am looking at possibly trading for a Stoner SR15 E3 Mod1.

I have been scouring the web and realize it is a good factory rifle. Totally ambi and built with quality components. I think what I like the most about what I have read is the CHF CL 1:7 twist barrel and the rounded lug bolt. The mid length gas system is ok as well as I hear it helps the gun shoot smoother but I am very used to the carbine length ARs already.

Stoner is a name I trust and for the most part the rifle has remained stock save for a couple of things. The SOPMOD buttstock has been replaced by a MOE, trigger guard replaced to MOE, OEM castle nut replaced with ambi single point back plate. Beyond that from what I am told it retains everything else that came with the Mod1 except some rail covers and stuff like that.

Definitely don't need the rifle but willing to trade mine towards a nice factory built one. Trying to talk myself into it and see if it is worth it.

What do you guys think? Is it worth trading a nice Chinese AK for this nice Stoner SR15? I am up in the air about it, opinions are welcome.
    Thanks all.

polebarn

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There's a guy on here that knows a LOT about them.Be patient;he might chime in.:smile:
    Beat me to it FLT!

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah that is what I am reading. I am digging the E3 bolt, trigger, URX rail system and BUIS. Oh and the barrel is pretty top notch too. The all ambi thing is cool but not really a big selling point for me since I'm right handed and used to standard controls. Just seems like a nice quality factory built rifle that I would get some reliable use out of.
    I look past the 1200 custom builds on Anderson lowers, put together on someones kitchen table. Id rather trade a nice AK for a nice factory AR.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The E3 bolt was the last in a long line of innovations from Mr. Stoner

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I'd do it. Very cool. If trading straight, value is also in your favor if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am leaning towards it. Value I have seen on the SR15 all over the place, being that this is a Mod1 and does not come with the original SOPMOD stock, aluminum trigger guard, missing handguard covers and has a different less expensive charging handle. I figure straight across is pretty fair in todays AR!5 market. If id did not have the original trigger, bolt, sights and stuff like that I would likely just pass all together.

I like my rifles, especially higher end ones to have all the stock components that came with it, even If I were to change some out for my liking or upgrades I would keep the originals just for resale or trade value. Though I do not not know the complete history or round count of this particular rifle so I understand stuff gets misplaced or sold off cause you never think you will ever get rid of that particular firearm.

But you are right, should I have to sell it for whatever reason I should not have a problem getting what I am asking for my Norinco. Just my Norinco in another 10 years is going to be worth way more just cause of the ban alone not to mention the condition and restoration work. It would honestly not be up for grabs but since I have another pre ban chinese example I just do not need the Norinco, though the quality is every bit as good as the other. Them commies sure know how to build AK 47s. The rivet work is truly perfect. Everything is laser straight. Boring reliability. I really enjoy the construction difference between the Chinese versions and the standard euro AKM variants. I wish I was born earlier when these were pre ban and everyone thought the Chinese made junk. I would have bought as many as I could. In my opinion any chinese AK is a top shelf AK. Some may not agree but if you take an Arsenal and a Chinese AK side by side and besides the obvious thicker barrel, hooded sight, thicker receiver, and classic AK looks of the Chinese version, I believe it outshines the Bulgarian. And the fact that the Chinese blued their guns as opposed to park or paint like the Bulgarians I think is pretty cool. Love blued guns.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I came across a Russian AK model 1, from their Tula arsenal in Iraq. That thing belonged in a museum. Its a shame the stuff we would find and confiscate and ultimately destroy I guess. We had a big connex where all enemy weapons were tagged and thrown in the connex. Iraqi Feyadeen chrome plated AK47s, Russian PPSH41 with drum mags, Italian SMGs, Sterling MK4 SMGs, Enfield sniper rifles. So many cool guns that should be hanging on display in the Infantry Museum at Ft Benning.
    I went to the Museum recently, my second visit. My first was when I graduated OSUT and became an Infantryman 15yrs ago and the last time just a few months ago. They have some really cool displays there if you have never been. I believe its free to all, just donations. Also it is located before you get to the security gate so civilians without a CAC card are welcome. They had more small arms displays 15yrs ago than they had recently which kinda bummed me out. Still a decent amount of weapons on display including a good bit of Stoner's prototypes and others. I do believe there was even a AR180 up there.

Anyway I am just rambling along but y'all should check it out if you haven't. Its only 4 hours away and a great family outing.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The E3 bolt needs the correct barrel stub to work correctly. I've seen guys mis match them. And that will work for a while but negates the advantage of an E3 bolt.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah I read that too. This rifle is factory marked sr15 upper and lower so it should be all correct for the e3 bolt. The lower has all those fancy ambi controls and paddles everywhere lol. It’s a mod 1 with interagrated qd mounts in the sides of the lower. He also put a single point back plate on which is probably the only thing I’d use. Not a fan of dual point unless running around garrison

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Red said:
    ... Iraqi Feyadeen chrome plated AK47s, Russian PPSH41 with drum mags, Italian SMGs, Sterling MK4 SMGs, Enfield ...

Sterlings are my weakness... such a simple little gun. Yet another thing I missed the boat on, though. Apex had a bunch of semi conversion parts along with parts kits; Numrich has some kits that are pretty much tailor made for a re-weld. The semi parts are all gone now and Apex said they have no plans to bring them back.

But I digress. Is it the MAK you're looking to trade? If it is, that's a pretty good trade. If you have a Poly, I'd keep that over a KAC. Like JJ says, just my .02.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd make that trade.

Top Bottom