• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I just bought this Stevens 5100 double barrel 12 gauge. It’s in great shape except there’s a crack in the stock. I knew it was there when I bought it.
    How bad is this? Is it still shootable? Can anything be done about it ?
    And lastly, why are all my pictures upside down these days ? That used to not happen.

Attachments

• Stevens 5100.jpg
      Stevens 5100.jpg
      131.2 KB · Views: 298
    • Stevens 5100 2.jpg
      Stevens 5100 2.jpg
      83.5 KB · Views: 274

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To see how bad it is you'll have to take it off. It can be repaired though. I've had a few repaired, one that was completely broke in three pieces.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yes it can probably be fix, Now is the big question If you get it done how much are you willing to pay, or can you learn how to do it on U-tube, or find some one to do it for free. Just my 5 cents jj

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Do you think it’s OK to shoot it as is?
    This isn’t an expensive gun so I don’t want to put a lot into it.
    I looked on-line and I can get a new stock for $55 but it wouldn’t match the fore-end.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Take the stock off. Force the crack open slightly with something like a toothpick; don't break it off. Run a bead of wood glue along the crack then force it in with your finger. Take toothpick out, wrap a rubber bad around to hold it closed and wipe off excess glue with a damp paper towel or rag. let 'er dry. Most likely you are done, but check to see if there are fit issues that might have causes the crack, and correct before reassembling.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The odds or it will break off when you do that , before you remove it clean and put some tap over to hold in place, then remove it. After removing it put some more tape around it make such it stays in place. , now that it will not move ,get a small drill bit about the size of a tooth pick . and run it in the length of the crack and just a little bit from the top of the crack in to the lower part at a little angle. Now if it looks good use that tooth pick, take off some of the point so you have a flat end, this will help in pushing the 5or 10 min E-p. in the holes and the little taper left on the pick will help in pushing the glue in to the crack, Now to add some thing else , after you have tape on the out side , if it stays in place good , you can use a small draimal ball cutter , and go across the in side of the crack, and fill it in this will reinforce it, you then the to remove the excess for it to fit . If you do this right you will end up with a good repair with a out line. the tape out side will help kept the glue off the wood. It cracks because over time the stock that is pulled in to rec by the stock bolt. and recoil the wood gives from the pressure on it , now if you went to doing some about this , after you get the crack done, bed the stock to the rec. even if you get a new one you may look at bedding the new one, because it will crack at some time. This will hold and not just look good. Didn't learn this from u-tube. Just my 100 cents jj

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I appreciate the responses but you guys are giving me waaaay too much credit.
    I can cut a fairly straight line on a 2x4 with my miter saw and that’s the extent of my woodworking skills.
    I will probably shoot it and see what happens, sell it or just use it as a wall hanger. It’s not worth putting a lot of money into.

Sandspur6

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use Gorilla Glue and small diameter threaded brass rod to make that kind of repair. Seems to have worked okay for me.

Dewayne G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have had some luck with repairing this type of crack and I live close, Milton, if you like I can take a look and walk you through the repair. 850-324-3004

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    If I had your money, I'd buy a new stock and give me the old one for my model 5000 with a worse buttstock... but that's just me.... Its a easier fix than most old stevens stock problems... mine is busted on the top...

Top Bottom