• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Looking for recommendations for a machine shop to make a small part for a gas block. Probably a CNC lathe.

Anywhere, don't care where they are.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    What do you want made, cnc is used when you want to make more then one most of the time or repeat some using a program, I have made a lot of small one time parts but need to know some information, you can call if you want to 850-572-6611 jj

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You read STEP files? I have it drawn up in CAD. It's a knob to replace a adjustment screw in a gas block. It's fairly simple, 5 x 30 mm knurled knob on top of a 6 - 32 x 13mm screw with 5 1 x 6 mm long valleys cut in it for a detent that start 2.5 mm's up from the bottom.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You got a drawing. jj I think I under stand what you want, will need a mill also with a indexer , Have made a gas adjuster to replace one on a Adams arm to reduce the gas to the piston. jj

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Adjustment knob.png
    Hows this? I was hoping to find someone with a CNC lathe, should be able to knock these out in 5 minutes'ish.

Attachments

• Adjustment knob.png
      Adjustment knob.png
      89.6 KB · Views: 259

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A million dollar machine would make one of those fairly fast, the problem is finding someone that's willing to use their million dollar machine to make one of anything.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm thinking I'll try and make it myself. I'll two piece it and then the hard part will be milling the valleys. Which I think I can 3D print an indexer and use my drill press or even my Dremil to cut them. Drill a hole in some round bar and then tap it.

JJ, can you centerdrill some round bar stainless and knurl it?

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    No problem, could make it in one piece would cut the , valleys as you call them the way you are talking about, If I had a CNC would not do one. Not all cnc run on the same program, and the first one is not all ways right. It's not how long it takes to make it, It's long it takes to get ready to make it. jj

reel_crazy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    im trying to wrap my head around this mm stuff...

it appears you want a 6-32 screw approx 1/2 in long topped by a knurled piece .1968 in dia that is approx 1.18 in long...and then have 5 (every 72 deg) flutes
    cut in the screw that are approx 1/32 in wide and just under a 1/4 in long (how deep?)... starting approx 3/32 in from the bottom..

im pretty sure jj can make the knurled piece for ya.. those flutes are gonna be tough to do .. perhaps strapping a dremel to the tool post and indexing the lathe with some sort of jig...

rich

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I don't have any reliable way to measure the depth for the flutes (wasn't sure what to call those). The go down to just above the bottom of the threads, probably about .5-.7mm. I do a lot of 3D printing and just use metric for everything CAD now. The only things I don't have the equipment to do reliably is center drilling the handle and then knurling it. I can tap it and do anything else I it might need I believe. As for the screw, I was looking at just some threaded rod, creating a 3D printed indexing/fixture for my drill press and use a 1mm ball end mill to mill those flutes in it. More work than I wanted to do, was hoping to just find a machine/fab shop that could mill them for me quick.

reel_crazy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    the .5 to .7 should be ok... depending on thread class and who made the screw the depth of the thread will be around 0.024 to 0.034 in ...

the flutes are pretty small features, tho doable... note that 1mm end mills will snap in a ny millisecond if overloaded...and you really need some high rpms to make them work i would guess at 4k to near 20k rpms if you can manage that.. lower rpms can work but the depth of cut per pass and feed rate will be much lower..

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May have one made

Rich you put things in words better then I don't. What I was going to say most that I know put things in 1000/ ths in making things. Now that said. I think I have one made, with out fultes If I can get the pict up, my camera is not working, so try to use my ph. so here goes Just my 5 cents jj

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May have one made

Rich you put things in words better then I don't. What I was going to say most that I know put things in 1000/ ths in making things. Now that said. I think I have one made, with out fultes If I can get the pict up, my camera is not working, so try to use my ph. so here goes Just my 5 cents jj

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    About 45 mins 1/2 of time was getting up what I need and set up. That has 6-32 threads about 3/4 inch. Just think I did this with out a drawing, The flutes will take just about the same time. Just my 5 cents jj

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Any time after say 9 AM to 9PM . I'm older and like to speech to some one it helps me to know what kind of person they ,and I know they got the massage. the internet does not do this. and I don't like putting all my of information out there. this is what is wrong with the world people don't know how to communicate any more. Any way have some question's , I think you will under stand better, jj 850-572-6611

Last edited:
    Top Bottom