• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Wished it was more "potluck". I should have known something was gonna give, but was just too focused on getting everything ready for this mornings hunt.
    First clue, yesterday morning, the key switch locked up on my truck. Had to buy a new one. Then later around 1600, I was putting the finishing touches sighting in my bow with the new yardage strip, except my release decided to stop releasing. It gets worse, then it stopped locking, jaws just stayed open, trigger just flopped around. I was cursing like a madman in disbelief because I don't have a backup release. So finally after tinkering with it, I got it working. Okay, things are looking good again.
    Got to bed early, around 10pm. Got up at 0330 and by 0430 I was on the road. Got about 6 miles down the road and noticed the oil light on. A couple more then my engine started making a racket. Pulled into a P/lot, checked the oil, only 1 qt low.
    Started the truck up, and now it's high idle and valves are still clicking. Decided best not go hunting. Stopped at a store, dumped a quart of ATF in it, and took it to the house. Pulled the valve cover and started motor again, no oil pumping up to the valves. Hmm, bad oil pump. Slid under it, pulled the drain plug, then noticed my cv axle boot twisted and ripped up. Really, I just replaced it 4 months ago.
    Lost a day of hunting, figured no problem, I'll pull and replace the oil pump today, go tomorrow morning, replace the cv axle when the rain comes in. And then to add insult to injury, no one has the oil pump in stock. Now I gotta wait till tomorrow after 1300 for it to get here. Opening weekend gone. Geezzz what luck.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just think of it as the Master's grand plan, he didn't want you to go hunting for some reason.

As least you have an external oil pump. It happen to my 82 Ford once in a not so nice part of town, truck was loaded with tools too so I limped it on home, had to pull the engine to replace the pump.

I was helping the model airplane club construct a runway at the Jay transfer station yesterday. A tiny, just out of spots, fawn came trotting around us like he was our pet. Fearless.

RH

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It's okay I suppose, I got the rest of the week to sling an arrow. Dang, that had to been a pain in the butt to pull the engine completely out. Hopefully, I just gotta drop the oil pan and skid plate. But I think I may have to pull one of the motor mounts to jack the motor up a bit to get the oil pan out? I'll know here shortly. :sad:

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's what I was told too, just jack the engine up, remove the pan and get to the pump. Absolutely no way to get it in and out of the tiny slit between the block and pan with it jacked up as high as it would go.

Since I had driven it 10 miles with no oil pressure I just pulled and rebuilt it while I had it out.

Best of luck getting yours out.

RH

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dang, I think I'm further jinx'd. Looks like I gotta pull the engine. Book shows to jack up 1 side. But I think thats for a 2wd, and mine is 4wd. After monking with it over 4 hours, trying to drop the pan, I believe it would be better to just pull it. Or drop the front-end and drag-link. Think the motor will be easier/faster.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Curse engineers for some of their designs. Depending on the mileage I'd think about at least a ring and valve job while it's out.

RH

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It's a factory rebuilt engine, dropped in about 7-8 years ago. Not sure but guessing 10k miles on it.
    Probably take me a week or two to pull it, fix it, then put it back in. I'll check the mains while its out, replace them if they're bad.
    I'm sure they're fine tho, no knocking or unusual noise (just the valves clattering). Rings should be fine too, no smoke.

So if anyone see's a HD running down the road at the crack of ass and either a bow or rifle slung across their back, or midday with a deer strapped on the sissy bar, it'll be me. :D

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I finally got the engine out today. Then I didn't have any bolts long enough to bolt it on the engine stand. Be hitting fastenal tomorrow.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    FINALLY. I got it back together and running late evening yesterday. The oil pump went out, which caused it to shear the roll pin in the gear of the oil pump shaft/rod. But that's not the bad. I had to pull the crank cap and the rocker arm cap to check the mains, to make sure they weren't overheated. They were fine, so no need in redoing the mains. Problem came when torquing the bolts to 80psi. 1 broke and 2 twisted and just about broke. I rented the torque wrench from local auto parts house, so I guess it wasn't accurate? The only time it clicked was when the bolt snapped in-two.
    So what's the problem? CMAO (Crying my ass off), they stopped making "that" bolt back in 1994. No-One, No-Where had it, much less sold it. Not even Chevy or Fastenal. I found an engine in a junkyard, and after paying $100 for it, I'm back and running after robbing the 3 bolts from it. $33.33 per bolt. Oh well, at least I have a parts motor now, and a core if ever I need one.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    It is a damn good thing you can do the work yourself! I heard you were going to fall out of the stand sleeping if you had gone hunting and your truck saved your ass...that true?

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It is a damn good thing you can do the work yourself! I heard you were going to fall out of the stand sleeping if you had gone hunting and your truck saved your ass...that true?

Yeah, probable so with the way my luck was running. Plus I dunnin' drank that 5hr energy stuff which zombie'tizes you. So I'd fell out wide asleep. lol
    But I was seriously thinking on taking my Harley to the woods. I was desperate. But again, my luck, I'd got to the stand with about 20 arrows stuck in me for scaring the deer off. So figured it was best for all that I just fix my old truck and leave the Harley at home.

Top Bottom