• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joey W

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought a G40 MOS some time back and put an RMR on it and fell in love with shooting red dots on handguns. I have an FNX 45 coming and it will be receiving an RMR also. With the FNX I am getting a free Vortex Venom.
    I figured I would put the Vortex on my g17 as I like the RMR much better and I will shoot the g17 the least. In doing minimal research, I discovered you can remove then rear sight on the glock and slide a dove tail to receive the base plate on the Vortex.
    Are there any down sides to this? I understand that the cowitness of sights is now lost but I can't get my G40 to cowitness and it is nasty accurate to 100yds.
    I had considered getting the slide cut but this is such a cheap option I almost cannot resist it for the g17. The gun will be for plinking only. I am not a competition guy and I have other suppressed/red dot options that I will hunt with. I am just mainly curious if there are any big disadvantages for this mounting option.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Wish you were closer Joey. Would love to shoot a Glock 40 MOS. Have been thinking on buying one for some time now.
    I have been shooting a 10mm for some years now and been thinking about having my Glock 20's slide cut for a RMR. --- SAWMAN

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I assume this is what you're looking for?

https://suarezinternational.com/suarez-l-mount-universal-red-dot-base/

If you want something without milling your slide this seems like a legit option. Only draw back would be the higher profile of the rmr but if it's only use would range or hunting, shouldn't be an issue. With that said, I'd rather mill a slide...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    For those who want to experiment or try a red dot on your pistol to see if you like them. (they are not for everyone) . Ebay has some china made ones with the mount and red dot for around 60.00 shipped. I have tried 3 of them and all work very well. They go into your dovetail rear sight and look like RMR's. Just search mini red dot and the model pistol. I have glock, M&P and I think they have springfield too.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey RidgeRunner, can you give more information on what we got, may want to try one myself?
    Thanks In Advance
    bobinbusan

For those who want to experiment or try a red dot on your pistol to see if you like them. (they are not for everyone) . Ebay has some china made ones with the mount and red dot for around 60.00 shipped. I have tried 3 of them and all work very well. They go into your dovetail rear sight and look like RMR's. Just search mini red dot and the model pistol. I have glock, M&P and I think they have springfield too.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey sawman, your thoughts on this one, RidgeRunner your input on this one for a Glock would also be appreciated, couldn't locate the 3 that you got ?
    Thanks In Advance
    bobinbusan

Joey W

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wish you were closer Joey. Would love to shoot a Glock 40 MOS. Have been thinking on buying one for some time now.
    I have been shooting a 10mm for some years now and been thinking about having my Glock 20's slide cut for a RMR. --- SAWMAN

If your in the area let me know.

Joey W

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

If you want something without milling your slide this seems like a legit option. Only draw back would be the higher profile of the rmr but if it's only use would range or hunting, shouldn't be an issue. With that said, I'd rather mill a slide...

This is what I was looking at. You remove the rear sight and slide in the dovetail with taps to accept the base. Then you just mount the optic.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/2...MIuYW3gd2C1wIVUFmGCh0dkwB6EAQYASABEgLY1_D_BwE

I was gonna get suppressor sights and have my slide cut. I am gonna roll with this and see how I like it. I mean, this is $20 the other is close to $300.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Tennjeep and I discussed this a few days ago. It really comes down to your intented use of the firearm. Range use or light competition- I'd try the cheaper route first and see if it holds zero and doesn't break. If we're talking HD or even ccw with a rmr/rds, I wouldn't cheap out too much. Milled slide and trijicon would be my first choice.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Wondering if a locally milled slide OR a Glock MOS would be better.
    Before I made either decission I would either know or have the sight for my gun in hand.
    Any thoughts ?? ---- SAWMAN

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Cost of getting a slide milled locate??
    There's a plethora of companies out there. I think that would depend on gun and which rds you choose to use. The most common would be glocks with RMRs.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I put this mount on my G30s with a DeltaPoint Pro w/ 7 moa triangle. It’s really solid with the 2nd attachment point screwing into the replacement backplate. Have no reservations about it being reliable enough for self-defense purposes.

No brainer on sale at $29.99 to see how I liked shooting with a red dot, which is awesome by the way. I pick the dot/triangle up just fine with no hunting so I’m in no hurry to mill the slide though that is the preferred option and probably will at some point.

I’ve got the red dot and a light on my G30s now and can’t imagine going back. It’s my EDC, night stand, range, woods gun, and everything in between.

Would highly recommend adding a red dot to a handgun and this mount if not ready to commit to milling the slide yet. However I think they only make it for the DeltaPoint & RMR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom