• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got 3 model 61 winchesters pump rifles , 1 short only , 1 long rifle only and a WRF only. They been hunted with but are in 80 % or better condition. I've had them for many years I bought them from a gentleman that had gotten to old to hunt. He said he bought them new around 1948. So they are at least that old. Any of you guys have any idea of a current price range? Oh , they have octagon barrels and the original sights and haven't been drilled or tap for scope mounts. Thanks for any help or opinions you can offer.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just wondering, I've seen them priced all over the place on the auction sites . I was hoping someone here is a wichester collector and would have an idea what price range they would be in locally. I still use them to hunt squirrels ever once in a while. I can figure what they are worth as shooters, but don't have a clue if they are worth more than that. As shooters I think they are worth every bit of $300.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't seen one in a while, but the last one I saw out at Mile's place in Gulf Breeze he had $375 on it. It was a long rifle model with octagon barrel. I kick myself for not buying that one, because I went back and it was gone. I was going to offer him $350.
    I've had a Rossi knockoff for years and love it, but it's just not the same.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seem like we got more "MONEY" than "BRAIN CELL" paying the asking price they want now for them for something that cost less then $20.00 back in the day, just my dimes worth on this matter

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOL . Well then ,you'd be really up set at the price I paid for a 276 acre farm. It's been in the same family since the 20s . I pay more taxes on it ever year than the original selling price.

16gauge

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    According to the newest Blue Book, model 61 hammer less in 80% condition are worth $800.00. Add 150 % for single caliber marked rifles. Octagon barrels ended in 1947. 22 short model very rare. Add $400.00 for prewar models with small forearm. Made between 1932 and 1963. Lots to consider to put exact value on these but they seem worth way more than the $300 you had in mind. Blue Book also lists each rifle separately as the Model 61 Octagon 22 short or WRF and these value at several thousand dollars. Need to really figure out exactly what you have there to be sure. Great collection!

Last edited:

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1508680853.935607.jpg When I went to retrieve the 61s I found a round barrel grooved receiver short long or long rifle that I had forgotten about. When you find something that you had forgotten about it's almost feels like someone gave you a gift. In order from the top 22WRF ,22 long rifle only , 22 short only and the round barrel one I had forgotten about. The short only has a coat of gun grease on it.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1508680853.935607.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1508680853.935607.jpg
      117.2 KB · Views: 138

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Lets snapback to reality for just a moment.
    For the Blue Book stated value of $800.+ who will your buyers be ?? Not someone buying a gun for his kid or grandkid. Probably not even someone that grew up with one,killed their first rabbit with one,etc,etc.
    Your buyer will most likely be a "collector". Collectors want a gun in (guessing) 80%+. Most likely >90%. They are willing to pay. After all,collecting firearms is a rich mans habit. The collector wants to have his buddies over to smoke fine cigars,drink $80. per bottle cognac,and show each other their guns.
    These guns are not "practical" anymore. Not great for the young shooter (heavy,long,huge LOP,etc.),not great for the modern day squirrel hunter,or to lug thru the woods after rabbits.
    These guns are part of Americas past. I suspect that back in their day,the working man could not afford the $25~ asking price for a Winchester. But if he could,it most likely stayed in the family. From older son,to younger son,to grandson,etc.
    As a recreation item or a hunter,these were great old guns. These were made back in the day when the American worker took pride in what they did and were happy if they had a job.
    Great piece of history that you have there. --- SAWMAN

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You of course are right. They are a rich mans guns. Would you like to see some more? The price really doesn't matter they won't be for sale till long after I'm dead and gone. But thank you for your opinion it's always great to get an experts take on things.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Please do not store these in a gun case. Make sure that they are cleaned and have some kind of preservative on them. Wipe the wood down with a quality gun wax.
    Enjoy. --- SAWMAN

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well is ever want to sell the 22LR with octagon barrel let me know. You can PM or call

Staff online

Top Bottom