• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Just heard bits and pieces of "chatter" re. the coming of the new chambering (NOT caliber) called the .224 Valkrie. From what I could gather it will be a 6.8SPC simply necked down to hold a .224" bullet. But too early to know this for sure.
    As you may recall the 22Nosler uses the 6.8SPC brass with its rim turned down to fit a 223/5.56 boltface. It also uses 6.8SPC mags.
    If the above is true,it should have the same performance as the 22Nosler,use a 6.8SPC bolt,and also use the 6.8SPC mags.
    IMO the people that have a ton of 6.8 brass should love this newer chambering. The neck down from .277" to .224" shold be easily accomplished with one die set in 224 Val.
    So coming soon the AR shooters will have a choice of (basically) a rebarrel using the 223/5.56 bolt or a rebarrel and use a 6.8SPC bolt.
    Personally . . . given these two,my choice would be the 224Valkrie. BUT . . . would absolutely love to see a Ackley Improved (AI) version of the 224Val. With that,true 22-250 ballistics would be doable. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Would be really close to a 260Rem or a 6.5-284. Pretty close to the 6.5Creedmoor also.
    There most likely is already one out there. Quite a lot of things have been done using the 30RAR as a "parent" cartridge. --- SAWMAN

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    260Rem, 6.5-284, and Creedmoor don't fit in AR.

If there's a fat single stack 6mm or 6.5 that fits in an AR, I'd buy one immediately. It should be even faster than the Valkyrie.
    Think super fat Grendel.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I am happily ignorant in the ballistics area , but may I ask what magic everyone is trying to achieve with all the wildcat stuff? I know it must have some value because it exists. But I can't think of a single thing you could achieve that you can not already do with standard chamberings, except just spend good money on stuff you don't have ? I know bigger better faster, but you can only make something so dead. Please enlighten me just a little. I can see a flat fast cartridge for out west hunting, but we have a good line up for that too.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I personally want a faster (less drop) Grendel that uses standard mags like Beowulf, 450 BM, and 458 SOCOM do.

Dan, have you ever been to CORE? That place will do crazy things to a man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Having said ALL of that, if 224 Valkyrie is the flattest shooting an AR can get with with factory ammo, I just might need one.

Last edited:

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    rifles .22lr - 17hmr - .223/556 - 7.62x39 - - 6.8spc (because of FrankT) - .308 & 30-06 why might you ask , I am not talking about a good selection, but a WHY do you need it, as I have seen you ask that very question at least 5 times.

No Dante, have not, but would like to go and try some longer shots, as of now only been out to 300 give or take a few, but you could do 500 with a .308 0r '06 , .225 , 25-06 270 etc. fairly easy enough, I would think but in reality it is just a "I'm bored and need a New Thrill" thing?

Last edited:

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I fully understand the "bragging rights" thing and the "Just because I can" side of it. But in reality is it really an "I,m bored and need a New Thrill" thing

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I fully understand the "bragging rights" thing and the "Just because I can" side of it. But in reality is it really an "I,m bored and need a New Thrill" thing
    Such a thing only shows an advantage past the 500 yard mark.
    For me personally, it would be an excuse to get a CORE membership like the cool kids.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    OK I can see that if you are going over 500 yds all the numbers may start to make a difference. but the everyday Joe hunter / shooter has no real advantages with the slight differences I see in that chart. Plus you have to reload to even get the ammo. I can go to any Walmart and buy .223/556 or .308 any time.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    RidgeRunner, your post #10 is the answer to your post #5. A 308Win and a .30-'06 is about as close as two chambering can be in ballistics. The 6.8 and the 7.62X39 are pretty close also. What can you do with a 17HMR that you can't do with a 22LR or the other way around ??
    Don't get me wrong,I am not poo-pooing someone that ownes like chamberings. I have some that are even closer as far as ballistics as yours listed. I believe the whole chambering thing is something new and different. Especially with the wildcats. For me,it is the Ackley Improved line of chamberings. It is great fun to be able to take a 30-30Win,drop it in the AI chamber,fire it (it's pretty damn accurate BTW),eject it,and have a AI brass. Brass that the next time you load,you can get an honest 150fps more velocity out of.
    If you AI a .30-'06 you can come close to a 300Win Mag. There are a ton of cartridges that you can transform in this manner.
    Back to the .224" bore chamberings. Dan,take a look at the 223AI also. Not as fast as the 224V but quite a bit above a 223,5.56,or a Wylde. Also look at the 223WSSM ballistics. Pretty much duplicates a 22-250. Didn't know you were talking about the smaller sized AR's. You need to put them weenie guns down and start shooting the big sized AR's.
    I see a 338Federal or a 45Raptor in your future. ---- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dan,just re-read your post #13.
    Show up at CORE with a AR in the weenie size and you will be laughed at. In fact . . . for you . . . I recommend a NEMO chambered in 300Win Mag. ---- SAWMAN

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I figured If I had to ask i wouldn't understand. I guess it's no different than owning 4-5 rifles or pistols in the same caliber (which I do). In full disclosure, I don't hunt much (at all anymore) and I don't reload anymore so I like to stick to common ammo I can pick up on the cheap to enjoy a day of wasting it on paper and steel.
    I should understand that reloading is as rewarding as shooting itself to some, and that you like to experiment, and making something new is rewarding.
    But do you really think the .22lr and the 17hmr are similar? The .308 and 06 might be close and I have no real use for either other than to shoot the ammo I find Cheaply. I keep a nice variety of calibers so when I do run across a good deal on ammo I have a tool to release it into the wild as need be.

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dan,just re-read your post #13.
    Show up at CORE with a AR in the weenie size and you will be laughed at. In fact . . . for you . . . I recommend a NEMO chambered in 300Win Mag. ---- SAWMAN
    Well, I get laughed at for showing up in my little BMW sedan, and not a Ford Raptor, so I can deal with it ok.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I can't think of a single thing you could achieve that you can not already do with standard chamberings, except just spend good money on stuff you don't have ? I know bigger better faster, but you can only make something so dead. Please enlighten me just a little. I can see a flat fast cartridge for out west hunting, but we have a good line up for that too.
    We can ask the same thing about vehicles. There is only so fast you can go from home to work etc. But it is just another cool little cartridge for the AR15 platform. There isn't many fast flat shoot cartridges in the AR15 platform.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Give me good scope with the ballistic retical for 22LR (several companies make them)and IMO I could hit,at distance,just as accurstely as any 17HMR
    Had a buddy with a Win 52. He had a 36X Leupold that he sent to Premier Reticals and had them put a retical of his design in it. IIRC,at 600+ yards he was deadly. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom