Resources for deciding on asking price of firearms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi guys, just wondering what you guys use to gauge the current market value of the firearms you sell? How about custom parts or work? Is it considered like that fancy new stereo in a car you are selling that really adds no value?

I use Slick Guns for current production stuff. I use Gun Broker to see what the selling prices are on out of production or more collectible items. Those 2 are my GOTO sites to check mostly. I have looked at a couple of the auction sites or Liberty Tree Trader but many times they are very overpriced.

I know people will pay where they see "value" in something. Some folks will over pay cause they had one as a kid and want that nostalgia, others try to offer half your asking price when it is already priced at half of going rates. I guess a lot of it is subjective.

Wondering what resources you guys use when you are getting ready to post something? I even went old school and have the latest "Shooters Bible" for referencing but they usually only put in there MSRP.

Location being another factor too I guess. I suppose guns will always be cheaper in gun friendly states.

DBCDave

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First you don't try to sell your firearm for practically what they are new.Why would someone buy it . Its used I do not care if you clam you never shot or it is like new, hell everybody says that. It's used put used prices on it.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I try to find something local that's sold in the last few months that's like what I'm selling. I base my price off that . Most of what I sell could be resold on gun broker for a profit. The ass hats that offer you half of what you are asking think you are desperate . I may be some day ,but it's not today. I like to feel like I gave someone a fair deal . I've made some friends that way that have returned the favor of a good deal many times over.

blackhawk

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I look at what I spent on the gun how much money I have invested in it. What condition it is in. What accessories and ammo I have to add to the deal. How much use I have gotten out of it. I do not try to maximize my profit. There some members that list firearms on here for like new prices. There are some members on here that put an honest price on the firearm. You are better off listing at an honest price over an inflated price. I agree with Dave and FLT. If you place your ad and ask for an offer be prepared to get one. If you list the firearm at a Firm price then you should get that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah agreed, used guns are used guns. I consider a gun used if I personally did not take it out of the wrapper.

Seems around here folks price over new even just so they get a offer that's in the ballpark they are looking to get. A FIRM after the price should mitigate that but I have found doesn't always do so. I never blame a guy for trying though, everyone wants to save a few bucks when they can.

But are there any institutional sites or resources you all use? Books, websites etc? I know there arent much out there just trying to expand my knowledge base past a few sites.

For accessories it gets even more convoluted. Brownnels will have one item for a price huge difference from Midway, even bigger difference with Numrich. Most of the time Amazon, RTG, or Apex has the same thing for a far better price. Sarco inc is still pretty good for surplus items

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Watch out !! There are members here that whine when your prices are too high . . . whine when your prices are too low . . . and even whine when you don't bump your sale item enough for their satisfaction.
    REALLY !! (?)
    Really love them people that "threaten" to put it back in the safe or inform all of us that they really don't have to sell it. --- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Not many buyers out there with all the panic buying people are stuck with over priced guns or try to get the $$ for the accessories they have put on them. I look at the places you look and places like Buds, if it is within $50-100 to buy new I generally will.

I have a Glock 26 I paid $425 for a $258 Guiderod laser and 100 night sights. Obviously it is mine forever as no one will give me $810 for a used Glock 26. I have another 26 w night sights and have a total of $475 in it LNIB and I doubt I can get that either. Guns are not selling for what they use to so I am hoarding.

blackhawk

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The blue book of gun values is the answer to your question. It contains a wealth of information about firearms. The book also explains condition and how it effects value. A lot of times the book tells year of manufacture possible accessories that may have been included with the gun when sold new. Saw yea don't you love it when they have to tell you what a new one costs! Like they know the price sucks but they are showing justification for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im not gonna lie, I sometimes post that It will go back in the safe cause I don't need to sell it well cause sometimes I don't and people are just waiting for you to price drop. Sometimes I'll even post pictures of online retailers to show what it is going for new, not so much to show the price sucks, but that the price is not what it was even just a few years ago. I did not do this at first but I learned quick that there are far more tire kickers out there and vultures hoping you are in dire straights so they can take advantage of your financial situation or guys still wanting to still pay 1960's prices lol.

I'm gonna look up that blue book of guns. If nothing else I'm just an ol grunt and I like pictures of guns so that will entertain me. And its an additional resource to buy and trade from....win win

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The blue book is ok but I seldom see people using it or where it is valid in a local sale, maybe I don't look at high dollar guns?

I never HAVE to sell a gun and they can always go back in the safe, if not that is when you are giving them away and that is not gonna happen

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOL . I can't put them back in the safe, I never even took them out.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    FOR SALE . . . Cantonment

For Sale . . . . Gun ---- SAWMAN
    Some damn sellers pretty much post the above. I will not ask 27 questions about a prospective for sale item. I will not pursue a for sale add if the seller does not appear to know what he is selling. This seems to happen quite often as of late. --- SAWMAN

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LMAO. That's the easiest way to get it bumped. As soon as it's posted for sale you start asking questions. :attention:

3rdown110yds2go

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have wondered about this for a while ...I look at Guns and ammo as somewhat of a Commodity...the market goes up and down.......A lot of people freak bought a while back and now get frustrated with what it is worth in todays market..understood...The supply side is up and the demand side is down...buyers market...and I hate that for some folks that the market is so far down. But I don't understand how some people think that the accessories to some degree are gonna make the gun worth old market prices...like a truck or a house....you can do every add on in the world....but just because you like it doesn't mean the next person will....I am into to function not fashion and would never expect to recover my money for any add on toys....I am with FrankT.....for the non collectible....everyday guns....it is worth what someone is willing to pay you for it.

But I did tell him that if he would paint that Shotgun Pink it would sell quicker !!!

Last edited:

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im with 3rdown. It is hard to recoup expenses made on custom upgrades. Unless they are super big upgrades I tend to overlook them or ask if the seller is will to put the weapon back in original config. Little stuff like H2 buffers and upgraded spring kits, forward grips etc are shooters preference if you will.

I love the dudes that have "Custom" "Top Shelf" "End all be all" Ar15 rifles but they are built on Anderson receivers lol. Come on man, you slapped a bunch of mail order blem parts you got on sale on your kitchen table on a $45 dollar Anderson receiver and it is now "Custom build by a quality gunsmith" lol. Honesty, roll with what ya got, I find it gets you a lot further and a lot more respect from others.

And yeah the "I have a gun for sale, if interested in pics text me" $900.....Armslist account.....unregistered. lol Those are gems. Laughter is good for all sometimes.

I just enjoy firearms, the designs, history, the genius that goes into some of them and the WTF moments like the Nambu. Interesting, I recently found out that an Arisaka action is actually stronger than a Mauser action. Or so goes the video anyway, not like you would ever load a round powerful enough to test either, but I thought that was cool

I have my one that will go in the casket with me cause who knows what the great great great grandkids will be like one day. They may pawn it for nothing cause guns are evil. Or even worse, turn it in on some stupid clean the streets buy back program!! Imagine how many historical firearms have been destroyed because of things like this. They leave loopholes in everything you would think they would leave one to save the historical guns from destruction.

Slickguns.com still seems to be my go to site to gauge the realistic value on any given day in real time. Anybody know of a site for rare, surplus, or out of production guns?

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's worth what you can get someone to pay for it. Any thing else is speculation.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This one is good for searching milsurp collectables:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?75-The-Trader-WTS-and-WTT-listing-board
    This one is good for searching Colt firearms:
    http://www.coltforum.com/forums/want-sell/
    This one is good for S&W:
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/guns-sale-trade/
    This one is good for pre-Remington Marlin values:
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlins-only-long-guns-shotguns-rifles/

Awesome man thanks!!

Top Bottom