• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi guys, so as my firearms hobby continues to evolve I have become interested in the right arm of the free world. From what I read is that there are about as many variations as AK47s.
    So I understand that parts kits and franken FAL stuff.
    My specific question is do any of you guys have experience with a DSA FAL? They are all American made from what I understand which I think is awesome, but is that a good thing as opposed to a U.S. made AK47?

Have any of you guys had any long term reliability issues with DSA offerings? I would not mind saving up the 1k more or less to eventually buy one but I want a shooter. Something I am not going to have to worry about a jam every mag. I have heard their mags are junk but I dunno. Atlantic has a nice selection of DSA if anyone is interested.

Anyway if anyone has any opinions on the subject please feel free to chime in and let us know your experience with these all American made FAL rifles.

Thanks gents.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Hi guys, so as my firearms hobby continues to evolve I have become interested in the right arm of the free world. From what I read is that there are about as many variations as AK47s.
    So I understand that parts kits and franken FAL stuff.
    My specific question is do any of you guys have experience with a DSA FAL? They are all American made from what I understand which I think is awesome, but is that a good thing as opposed to a U.S. made AK47?

Have any of you guys had any long term reliability issues with DSA offerings? I would not mind saving up the 1k more or less to eventually buy one but I want a shooter. Something I am not going to have to worry about a jam every mag. I have heard their mags are junk but I dunno. Atlantic has a nice selection of DSA if anyone is interested.

Anyway if anyone has any opinions on the subject please feel free to chime in and let us know your experience with these all American made FAL rifles.

Thanks gents.

Here's the no-nonsense short version on DSA - if you want a DSA FAL, find one that has a serial prefix of DS. Avoid DSA prefix rifles, as they use cast receivers and "homegrown" parts. The DS rifles are much more likely to contain real military surplus parts versus their own in house parts.

The cast receivers work, but with FALs, forged receivers are generally the rule. We aren't talking Century RAS47 / C39 levels of cast component failure here, and in all honesty the cast receiver will probably be fine for the average shooter - but, original spec called for forged. I'd say the exception to this is a real FN cast receiver (they moved to castings later in the FAL's service life). Atlantic's DSA FAL line are all Voyager series rifles - all of them use cast receivers and cut out some standard features of the FAL rifle. Think of them as the Sportical / M&P Sport of FALs. Not trying to doom-n-gloom if anyone is considering one of these, just trying to educate.

If you really want a good FAL, I would strongly advise you head over to FAL Files. There is some great info there from many experienced FAL builders and enthusiasts. After that, prowl their marketplace. Look for anything StG-58, Imbel, G1, or older DSAs. Final note: mix-master FALs are nothing to sneeze at, if properly built with good parts. Refer to the earlier list; if the parts are from any of those guns and the builder knows their stuff, you'll be GTG.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's the no-nonsense short version on DSA - if you want a DSA FAL, find one that has a serial prefix of DS. Avoid DSA prefix rifles, as they use cast receivers and "homegrown" parts. The DS rifles are much more likely to contain real military surplus parts versus their own in house parts.

The cast receivers work, but with FALs, forged receivers are generally the rule. We aren't talking Century RAS47 / C39 levels of cast component failure here, and in all honesty the cast receiver will probably be fine for the average shooter - but, original spec called for forged. I'd say the exception to this is a real FN cast receiver (they moved to castings later in the FAL's service life). Atlantic's DSA FAL line are all Voyager series rifles - all of them use cast receivers and cut out some standard features of the FAL rifle. Think of them as the Sportical / M&P Sport of FALs. Not trying to doom-n-gloom if anyone is considering one of these, just trying to educate.

If you really want a good FAL, I would strongly advise you head over to FAL Files. There is some great info there from many experienced FAL builders and enthusiasts. After that, prowl their marketplace. Look for anything StG-58, Imbel, G1, or older DSAs. Final note: mix-master FALs are nothing to sneeze at, if properly built with good parts. Refer to the earlier list; if the parts are from any of those guns and the builder knows their stuff, you'll be GTG.
    Awesome info man thank you. Had no idea they used cast receivers. I get it it's cheaper but if Milspec is forged why don't they just make them all forged? Money drives all I guess. Damn good info on the voyager series as well man thanks. I would not buy one now simply because I know they are using cast receivers. Sure they may never fail but point remains, if forged is the standard then that's the standard. So glad you responded with this info. They sure don't advertise cast receivers on their site lol. Maybe I missed it

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Awesome info man thank you. Had no idea they used cast receivers. I get it it's cheaper but if Milspec is forged why don't they just make them all forged? Money drives all I guess. Damn good info on the voyager series as well man thanks. I would not buy one now simply because I know they are using cast receivers. Sure they may never fail but point remains, if forged is the standard then that's the standard. So glad you responded with this info. They sure don't advertise cast receivers on their site lol. Maybe I missed it

No problem man. Like I said, not trying to doom-n-gloom; I'm sure there are plenty of Voyagers / cast FALs running just fine. I think of it like AKs, though. Why buy something made with non-standard parts / specs if the real deal is available? It's like the Combloc vs. American AK. Go for the real deal, IMO.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Thanks for the thread. I got out my DSA FAL, bought just after the assault weapons ban expired, with my dealer ordering it direct from DSA. Built with Austrian STG-58 parts (and that's what it looks like), its serial number is one of the "DS" ones. Had the gas adjustment ring break in pieces the first time out. Called DSA and they sent me another adjustment ring...no further problems.

Other than a heavy FAL trigger pull, it's run perfectly. It loves the USGI 108gr frangible bullets I shoot through it. The receiver looks milled to me.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    All in all, DS Arms builds some really nice FALs. I used to have one of their older SA58 Medium Contour (barrel profile) FALs and I loved it.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the info all. I have handled some DSA and they seem to be quality made.

Had a little hiccup today with my FAL. I was shooting crap Tulammo steel (I know, I know). First few mags no prob. I did not move my gas setting. Ran fine, locked back so figured all was good. Let it cool for a while. Loaded next 20rd mag with Tulammo and BOOM. Mag body stayed on the rifle, mag bottom blew out with the remaining 19rds. Quick inspection showed no damage to the rifle. No cracks or bulges besides the magazines which bulged out.

So case head ripped off but recovered. Inspection revealed it wasn't a punctured primer, normal strike. The rest of the casing was nicely lodged in the chamber. Got it out easy enough wasn't too jammed in there. Just a screwdriver to leverage it out of there. Case was intact, no cracks or bulging.

Looked at my gas setting and it was at 9. Does that mean too much gas or not enough? I am guessing too much gas right? I should be running probably around 3 or 4. It has ran brass 308 just fine on 3 and 4 before. Shame my mag is beyond repair but I coulda been worse I guess. A nice bruise on my foot but otherwise nothing thank God.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Thanks for the info all. I have handled some DSA and they seem to be quality made.

Had a little hiccup today with my FAL. I was shooting crap Tulammo steel (I know, I know). First few mags no prob. I did not move my gas setting. Ran fine, locked back so figured all was good. Let it cool for a while. Loaded next 20rd mag with Tulammo and BOOM. Mag body stayed on the rifle, mag bottom blew out with the remaining 19rds. Quick inspection showed no damage to the rifle. No cracks or bulges besides the magazines which bulged out.

So case head ripped off but recovered. Inspection revealed it wasn't a punctured primer, normal strike. The rest of the casing was nicely lodged in the chamber. Got it out easy enough wasn't too jammed in there. Just a screwdriver to leverage it out of there. Case was intact, no cracks or bulging.

Looked at my gas setting and it was at 9. Does that mean too much gas or not enough? I am guessing too much gas right? I should be running probably around 3 or 4. It has ran brass 308 just fine on 3 and 4 before. Shame my mag is beyond repair but I coulda been worse I guess. A nice bruise on my foot but otherwise nothing thank God.

Rule #1 of the FAL - never, ever, ever use steel cased ammo in it. Case head separations are very likely with steel cased ammo in these guns.

Glad to hear you and the rifle weren't damaged. No more steel! Lots of Hirtenberger, South Korean and Malaysian 7.62x51 out there right now; snatch some up before it dries up.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, lesson learned on the FAL and steel cased stuff. Just finished running some commercial brass thru her no issues at all.
    Question for you guys. On the gas setting. So is more hole you see mean less gas for the gun and less hole you see mean more gas? Reason I ask is because I had it to where the hole was completely open thinking that would be single shot mode. Still cycled. Had the hole completely covered and still cycled fine. No difference in even the distance it flung brass.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The hole is bleed so yes, if uncovered, less gas to piston.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok cool just the info I needed. Even with the hole completely open it cycled no prob and slung the brass a mile away. I turned the dial back by 1 and let it ride. Shot beautifully. Shooting Wally World Winchester super X 150gr brass cased.

Examination of casing showed now cracked or bulged parts. Some dents from smacking the receiver on the way out but looked good overall. Very happy with my FAL again. Thought I had a headspace issue. Guess she just really don’t like steel.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thinking of getting me a nice DSA FAL for myself as a Christmas present. Great info gents, especially on the Voyager series. I can see how they may be good rifles but I lean towards rifles built to milspec even if they work just fine.

On another note, I bought a south Korean metric magazine to test it out. I tested it out on an Imbel receiver and initially it would not lock into place. Well after a while something must have worn down cause it locks in ok with a bit of force. The finish is a shiny blue. Now the most important part, reliability...well I had 2 jams with this mag. Bolt over riding the cartridge. A quick rack of the action threw the round in there just fine although it dented the crap out of it. Would say maybe the bolt outran the mag spring but it only happened on the Korean mag and ran fine on the other surplus mags. So I would have to assume it is an issue with the magazine. But man they are cheap right now, I may get another and try it out.

Learned my lesson using steel case on my particular example. It seems that my FAL just despises any steel case ammo, kinda a bummer but no biggie. There is plenty of Nato surplus still around. I do love guns that run anything without issue though. Maybe if I end up getting a nice DSA rifle it will run it, or maybe it will make my mag explode like this one lol.,

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I would avoid steel case in any FAL - I'm not 100% sure on the science of it all, but something in the design of the FAL causes it to hate steel cased ammo. Kabooms are very, very possible with steel cased, in any FAL design. There's a big write-up on it somewhere over on FAL Files; I read it years ago but I'm not sure where the thread went. It might work for a while but eventually you're gonna blow it up.

FYI though - I don't know if you get out to Pensacola much, but there's a FAL imported by Springfield over at TGD Firearms. Springfield imported Imbel rifles so it should be GTG. It's on consignment and the guy wants $2000 (bit high IMO). Might be able to talk him down; that's a factory gun from one of the best manufacturers of FALs. It's wearing Israeli furniture and had a bipod installed, 21" barrel. That'd be a great candidate for a nice FAL buy :)

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I read the same thing somewhere Fear. I'll have to look for it again but it was something about the chamber and the way steel cases expand different from brass that it causes some kind of over pressure or something.
    Long and short of what I read was to avoid steel at all costs. So I'll keep it brass.

2k for a Imbel receiver FAL? I bet it looks nice with the Israeli furniture and bipod, but mine is an Imbel with correct guide cuts and was less than half of that price. Only selling point would be having Springfields name on it but too much for me to shell out just on a name. Mine is an Imbel metric receiver on an Aussie inch kit to include the flash hider and bayo lug. So a franken FAL but still a sweet looking an firing battle rifle.

That is why I love the 300 makarov as opposed to carrying the latest and greatest high dollar CCW out there. While heavy and not mainstream, the little mak will never let ya down. With a defensive round just a bit hotter than 380s IMO it makes a formidable carry gun. I digress though like usual.

Now to find some surplus 762 nato, and a L1A2 bayonet.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I hear ya. The Springfield is an import instead of a build, though. 100% factory from Imbel. Metric setup. Pretty sure the one at TGD was preban - not positive though, I didn't look at it super closely after the sticker shock hit me. They haven't been imported for years so unfortunately people run a little rampant on pricing sometimes. Personally I'm not a fan of the Israeli stuff, looks weird to me lol. I like the StG-58 pattern furniture. Check out AIM Surplus for some 7.62 - last I heard they still had South Korean and Malaysian. I think Sportsman's Guide still has the Malaysian as well.

Top Bottom