• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi gents,
    Just wondering if there are any FAL aficionados out there. I am clueless besides what YouTube shows me.
    My rifle is an L1A1 Imbel imported by CAI. It takes metric mags and that's pretty much all I know about it.
    I shoots fantasitc! Reliable and powerful.
    Questions for anyone who knows.

1. It has a folding charging handle but it flops around. Shout there be a spring holding it down? It doesn't reciprocate just the handle flops around and doesn't stay flat.

2. It's gotta 21in barrel? Unthreaded. I would like to thread it and put one of those long m14 looking flash hiders on it. Want it to look original military style. The barrel has a groove cut into it from what I read it should be threaded and then a"key" locking in place. Advice? I'm pretty sure I can thread the barrel myself but unsure on this key groove thing.

3. What is the oval looking pin above the front takedown screw? Mine looks likes it's been hammered on and a little buggered up. I'm sure I can smooth it out and touch up refinish just no idea what it is and if it's normal for them to get messed with anyway.

4. I know CAI imported or built franken FALs much like everything else they sell. At least this one runs great. Imbel marked receiver and says imported so is there a way to tell what parts are inch on the upper as opposed to the metric mag fitting lower? Or away to identify the parts kit used on the rest of the build?

Thanks in advance guys.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got your pm. I have the same gun, but kind of different. For example, mine does not have a folding charging handle. Be interesting to compare features, but I think jj could tell us more then we can figure out on our own. Love to see him pipe in.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The oval pin is the headspace lug. The slot in bottom of barrel is where little washer used to go after you thread L1 hider on. After they cut original threads off that's all that's left is half a slot or key way. Small pin goes thru hider and washer and locks it into place w/o having to torque hider down. Need original L1a1 hider and will have to cut new slot after you thread it 9/16x24 RH.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    L1 barrels and hand guards are not bipod cut . There are plenty of flash hiders on GB. Post pic or two of your rifle.

Last edited:

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    of The 5-6 I have had none of them have had a folding handle, But I don't think should flop a round call this number they will know 847-277-7258 DSA. Just my 5 cents jj

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't seen one with a folding charging handle either. Mine is a Steyr STG built on an Imbel receiver. Has the carry handle and bipod.

Red, I would check out FALfiles. Lot's of knowledgeable folks on there, same as the AKfiles.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here are some pics just for fun. A lot of parts marked "D" and a lot of arrow looking markings throughout. Rifle shoots great. Gonna look into a L1A1 type hider mounted. I'll likely just buy the cutting die and guide and do it myself. Trickier will be groove extension for the key and washer to properly time it. No rush it's a great rifle as is.
    Could really use a top cover if anybody here has upgraded. Just looking for a smooth no frills one. I will buy or trade ya a beater one that has a rail permanently mounted on top. Could use a refinish.

Attachments

• IMG_1065.JPG
      IMG_1065.JPG
      469.4 KB · Views: 191
    • IMG_1066.JPG
      IMG_1066.JPG
      577.5 KB · Views: 176
    • IMG_1068.JPG
      IMG_1068.JPG
      104.1 KB · Views: 190
    • IMG_1069.JPG
      IMG_1069.JPG
      336.3 KB · Views: 200
    • IMG_1070.JPG
      IMG_1070.JPG
      281.4 KB · Views: 189
    • IMG_1071.JPG
      IMG_1071.JPG
      285.2 KB · Views: 207
    • IMG_1072.JPG
      IMG_1072.JPG
      107.8 KB · Views: 183
    Last edited:

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got a couple of top cover,s Red when you are here why don't you just tell me every thing you are looking for, Just my 5 cents jj

lol awesome JJ thanks. I'll come seeya this week early sometime. I'll give ya a call.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So the Right Arm of the Free World Rifle I guess they call the FAL and its varients. I now have a working knowledge of these rifles after messing with one for a while. Even though mine is a metric receiver from Imbel Brazil, from everything I read, the Imbel receivers are pretty sweet especially when they have the built in bullet guide which mine fortunately does.

I took off all the old rails and tacticool stuff the previous owner had on it. The parts kit used for the build was an L1A1 kit best I can tell. So inch style parts on a metric receiver. Sand cut bot carrier. Rifle is super reliable on gas setting 6 but I have read I should dial it back until it reliably cycles at the smallest opening as to not "beat up" the gun.

Love the simplicity of the gun which I'm sure lends to the reliability, easy enough recoil but can see how soldiers had problems with these rifles on automatic and why Britain fielded a semi auto only version. But did read the stories of some Brits picking up the Argentine full auto FALs during the Falklands War. Very cool to have a battle rifle in 308 and although I do like the M1A cause 'Merica, I feel the FALs simplicity makes it a better battle rifle though not more accurate. I have on different tours humped a M14 and a SCAR 17 and yes I feel as a battle rifle the SCAR edges out both but then again the SCAR HVY is considered the latest and greatest, so it can't really be compared. The M110 I have not had the fortune of using in anger and honestly would pass anyway. It falls in the DM role and the guys I know that have used it say it does a great job within that role.

The performance of the 7.62x51 speaks for itself no doubt but having to hump twice as much weight to match the M4 layout is hard. Again situation dependent and where that thorough pre mission planning should come in, but I digress like usual. Love love love the 308. Love the FALs sturdiness and how slim it is. Full size ones are about as tall as I am and unwieldy to say the least but those para DSA offerings look nice.

Have not had a chance to take mine out too far but don't expect too much. 3-4 MOA is fine by me. The SCAR for a battle rifle is very accurate when properly zeroed and the right optic up top. the M110 is likely better but again thats a DM rifle much like the M14 which we still see around. M14 in that EBR stock with quality glass on it is an awesome DM rifle but still heavy. Only so many times you can re-invent a rifle I guess.

Just rambling on guys like I usually do. I like guns and like to talk about them so I just start typing when I am bored and doing nothing. Feel free to chime in with your experiences with the FAL or how you feel it stacks up to other 308 battle rifles. I do not own and have never fired an AR10 so would be interested to hear someones opinion on how the AR platform performs vs the FAL. Accuracy, reliability, etc. I think we can already agree the AR will have way more accessories available. Big debate would be the operating systems on each rifle, maybe ergos, anyway. Cheers.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Just rambling on guys like I usually do. I like guns and like to talk about them so I just start typing when I am bored and doing nothing. Feel free to chime in with your experiences with the FAL or how you feel it stacks up to other 308 battle rifles. I do not own and have never fired an AR10 so would be interested to hear someones opinion on how the AR platform performs vs the FAL. Accuracy, reliability, etc. I think we can already agree the AR will have way more accessories available. Big debate would be the operating systems on each rifle, maybe ergos, anyway. Cheers.

The FAL is probably my favorite "modern" military rifle. It's a very simple system utilizing a very potent cartridge. However... the AR10 has it beat in accuracy, ergos and accessories. It just does... and it pains me to say that :)

Reliability is pretty good for both the AR and the FAL. Mags are kind of a pain in the butt as far as the FAL goes. FAL mags used to be what G3 mags are now (read as: cheap and frickin' everywhere). Now that Magpul came out with 20 and 25rd mags for the AR10... well, I went that direction. That said, I would be happy with any of the popular battle rifles with the exception of the G3. Just not a fan of that one, despite how cool it looks.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah I figured the AR10 would have it beat in pretty much everything. As much as I despise the direct impingement system on AR platforms, they run and run great. After a while I noticed they slow to cycle when really fouled after about the 10th mag and dust kicking up everywhere. I wonder if the FAL would be the same given that it is supposed to run cleaner.

Yeah finding mags are a pain and your right I used to see inch and metric surplus everywhere for a song. Now you gotta GB it or NIB DSA it. I will be on the lookout for metric at the next show. Though I will likely limit it to 7 total 20rd ers and the occasional 30rd one.

Question if ya know. My last shot bolt hold open does not work on either of the mags I have. One is a surplus metic and one is a new DSA metic. Is it something to do with the metric mag design or is something worn out in my rifle? Does not bother me much just trying to whittle it down to a mag or rifle issue.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    As far as battle rifles:
    AR-10's that run well are few and far between, in my experience.
    G3s are cool, but WAY overgassed.
    I like M1As and that solid, shutting bear trap feeling of the action while feeling like it was made from old tanks.
    I do like the FAL and it's smooth running adjustable gas system, but I'm nowhere near an expert.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Question if ya know. My last shot bolt hold open does not work on either of the mags I have. One is a surplus metic and one is a new DSA metic. Is it something to do with the metric mag design or is something worn out in my rifle? Does not bother me much just trying to whittle it down to a mag or rifle issue.

Does manually engaging the BHO work? To answer your question, the bolt should lock back on the empty mags, no problem.

I'd be looking at the rifle first to diagnose; sounds like you might have a Century build (Imbel receiver with Brit parts). Don't mean to burst your bubble either, but DSA mags are generally frowned upon; if you've got one that works, you should buy a lotto ticket. Check out FAL Files and their marketplace for mags, there's always some there.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    lol on the DSA mags. Yeah they seem pretty cheap.
    Manually engaging the bolt hold open works just fine no issues at all. Thinking it might be a mag issue but I only have 2 mags. A 20rd old surplus and 30rd DSA. So at this point still up in the air really.
    Hope to scoop up some more mags either online or at the next show. But yeah manually working the hold open works fine.
    You know your guns Fear, it does say Century import on the side of it as well. Read it may or may not have been put together by Century but either way this example is straight as an arrow and runs fantastic, so I am happy with it.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Manually engaging the bolt hold open works just fine no issues at all. Thinking it might be a mag issue but I only have 2 mags. A 20rd old surplus and 30rd DSA. So at this point still up in the air really.
    Hope to scoop up some more mags either online or at the next show. But yeah manually working the hold open works fine.
    You know your guns Fear, it does say Century import on the side of it as well. Read it may or may not have been put together by Century but either way this example is straight as an arrow and runs fantastic, so I am happy with it.

Hmm... IIRC there was a run of Century FAL builds that used inch cut Imbel receivers. If you can track down an inch mag, maybe try it out? Inch receivers can run both inch and metric magazines, but metric pattern mags won't engage the BHO. That might be what you're looking at.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Damn makes me kinda jump on the AR10 wagon right now that prices are low. Decisions decisions. I just don't see myself shooting it too much if I were to get one. I like military style firearms. The AR10 doesn't really have an adopted roll that I know of besides the SASS and to clone one of those would be financial suicide for me lol. That and I am not that into them.

Maybe I will buy or trade for a basic AR10 just to see what its all about and sell it off later or maybe I will fall head over heals over it, who knows?

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

If it's possible for you to bring the FAL when we meet for the phone, I can bring 3 or 4 different types of mags for you to test.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If it's possible for you to bring the FAL when we meet for the phone, I can bring 3 or 4 different types of mags for you to test.

Awesome that sounds good.

Top Bottom