• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKYM39

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You guys ever see or use a 458 Socom pistol? Thinking of making one, a berry picking/camping/ hiking gun in bear areas. Seeing if this is a good idea or not.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Yes. Fun gun. It should work nicely. Sig brace is nicer than shockwave for this application. WC makes good loaded rounds.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I had one (back when the ATF said it was fine to shoulder Sig braces):

C7JGbl6.jpg

KDW6zHF.jpg

I built it as a sub 50yd hog thumper, but never ended up hunting with it. Fun, but expensive to shoot (even if you reload). I had a nice load with 500gr bullets going just over 1000fps, which would have been great with a suppressor. FWIW, it recoiled about like a 308 AR-10.

BTW, I moved this thread to the AR-15 section. Please create new threads in the appropriate section.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If you are just looking for an excuse to own/build a 458S that is fine. Everybody needs to expierance a AR chambered in . . ? . . Big Bore. For me it was the 50Beowulf.
    Owning and feeding these guns you pretty much must be a reloader. Then . . . you will have to tool up for the new chambering. All the while keeping in mind . . . the produced ammo MUST be 100% reliable.
    Then there is "the laws of deminishing returns". It's kinda like carring one of them 15oz snubby revo's chambered in 357mag and full power loads.
    Give this a thought - - - > take a 10" paper plate and put it up at 25yds. Using a 5.56 with M855 ammo,how many and how fast can you put a mag of 20 or of 30 thru that plate. If you put in some serious practice time could you impress yourself ?? Bet you could.
    There . . . . problem solved. And your saved money will buy you a 10.5-12.5" upper,ammo,and range time. --- SAWMAN

SKYM39

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I sold my 458 Lott and found a ammo can that still had 1500 500 Hornady 500 gr sp and 500 FMJ, brass Ihave a good line on 500.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I pick my berries at Publix, and I have yet to see a bear in there. Now if you shop at Walmart you may very well see a sasquatch or two.
    But as Sawman said, a .223 should do the trick.

Top Bottom