• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi guys I have a Remington 1903 serial dates it built during the war and the barrel is ordnance marked 42 as well. Only thing I think has been replaced on it is the stock as it has an excellent condition C walnut stock. As most know the U.S. didn't usually serial match its old mil guns but as far as I can tell all metal is original besides the front sight blade and possibly rear sight ladder. The patina on the rest of the metal pieces matches and is uniform. One punch next to the serial on receiver indicates only one factory re-entry during which I guess it was good enough not to change the barrel as that is still original 1942. Wish it could talk. I imagine some young Marine sloshing thru the bush with this gorgeous gun.
    Anyhow my question to you collectors out there is where to place a value on this one. GB is kinda all over the place depending on how many factory refurbished or lower for replaced barrels etc. I know not having the original stock hurts it a bit but the metal is what makes this rifle amazing. I have seen anywhere from 800 w/ bids for rifles not nearly as correct as mine and on up. I want to price this one right to sell quick as I have my eye on something I just have to have. I know I know pics are worth a 1000 words and I'll try to get to them when I get to my PC.
    Thanks.

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Check with Fear - he knows the 1903 and mil-surp in general.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is no possible way to know if it is "all original as shipped from the factory" and frankly, I doubt there are any around that are, short of museum pieces.

Values on good condition 03s are running $800 to $1K.

I have about every book on the rifle if you'd like to come by and do some research.

Rick

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    What makes you feel the front sight blade and rear sight ladder may not be original? No "R" mark on them? The other metal parts have the "R" mark on them? What markings, if any, are on the stock? Buttplate stamped, milled, checkered, or flat? No import marks? If no import marks, it may be one of them released by CMP a few years ago. I had one WWII Remington 03 (and others, I used to collect them), but it/they were destroyed when my house was burnt. Luckily my M1903A1 NM and M1922MII ones were in the safe downstairs and survived.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nailing down a price is a bit difficult with these. I've seen them go for anywhere between $500 - $1000 and on up. Judging by your description, you have a nice shooter versus a true collector piece. For reference, I bought a rifle very similar to the one you're describing for $675 - but that was eight years ago. Mine was a Remy 03A3, '42 bbl, C stock. Need pics to really make a judgement on price.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Front sight blade and rear ladder sight patina don't match the rest of the metal on the gun. A lot of parts have an R on them but not all. No marking on the stock at all, no cartouches or anything. Excellent dark walnut though. Checked buttplate with storage door. No import marks anywhere on the rifle. Just proof marks, ordnance bomb on barrel. I think the barrel is 2 groove as well, gotta look again. Bore is bright, definded and tight. Really accurate rifle the few times I have taken it out. Silky smooth action. As good or better than Enfield.
    Only reason I am even thinking of selling is to buy my unicorn AK Spiker which is looking like either the guy backed out or is a scam. I contacted him twice saying I'll take it no haggle, within an hour he posted it and nothing but silence. Maybe this one wasn't meant to be

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll try to post some new detailed pics. This is one rifle that I really enjoy the historical aspect of it but I haven't shot it in years since I first got it.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I'll try to post some new detailed pics. This is one rifle that I really enjoy the historical aspect of it but I haven't shot it in years since I first got it.

Sounds good - love these old rifles. Nothing like a WWII thumper.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the tips guys but looks like I wont even be listing this one since I the guy I was trying to do business with has not responded even to the "I'll take it at your asking price." Not like he has it priced low either its fair, maybe even a bit too much but its a preban rifled I have been looking for. But alas....the search continues.

Top Bottom