• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My wife went back home for her vacation. She goes back to Maine at least once per year to visit her friends and family.
    She just sent me a picture from where we used to live. Makes me kinda homesick. Beautiful country,really great people. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 2913.jpeg
      2913.jpeg
      261.9 KB · Views: 170

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea.

I used to think "the beach" was what I needed. But I've also lived in a few states with vistas like that. And "that" is so much more multi-dimensional.

I consider moving back to "that", because honestly, Im tired of endless summer, and sand.

Can you tell me why youre here, instead of there? PM is OK if appropriate.

I mean this IS one of the few states without income tax, but still.....

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I've been to Maine twice on vacation and really enjoyed it. It was in the summer though. Not sure how I would feel about the winter.

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife Nanda, has family there , they had some 40 or so acres, had a lot of waterfront, walked 10 yards my first morn. Caught my first smallmouth bass ever, big bull bluegill, beautiful place, rocks no mud !!!!! I will never forget that morn. He walked down to the water an asked what I was doing , I told him catching lunch(!He reapaired cars trucks at his shop) He said they don't eat them fish an that fishing was a waste of time , He went to his shop an I put on a giant earthworm on my hook lol !!! Felt sorry for Him !!!!

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    We only moved from there because of the WX. It is basically the opposite of Fla.
    Summers are too hot and too long here. The winters were too cold,snowy,and long up there. It was fine when I was younger,however the older I got,the colder it seemed to get. We moved here in '03.
    Soon as I moved down here I started to miss Maine and the guide buisness. Too old now to move again. Will end up here 'til I die I suppose. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    We had:
    * Periods of 5-8 days that it NEVER got >0deg Fahrenheit,day or night.
    * Many,many nights per winter that it got lower than 15deg below zero.
    * My wife and I had to cut,split,and stack in the basement,7-8 chords of wood per year.
    * Snow storms of 40 inches within a 48 hour period.
    * A "just planted" garden killing frost (27deg) on June 6th.
    * A garden killing frost as early as mid Sept.
    * We did not even have a long enough growing season for tomatoes.
    * I have seen opening day of bird (grouse/partridge)season on Oct 1st be 15-20 degrees in the AM.
    * Many years we had to use snowshoes to hunt during the deer season (Nov 1st ' -- Dec 10th )
    Again . . . . not bad when your young,but . . . . . --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Out front of the house where this pic was taken we had snomobile drags every year. We called it a radar run. From a standing start down the lake 500ft . . . finish line speed recorded by a radar gun. Cost $10 per run . . . winner take all.
    I had a 900cc Polaris RMK (Rocky Mountain King ). With it's stiff springs to quickly lock up the clutch,re-jetted carb,after market airbox,144" track with 2" paddles,I still never won. The machine put out 161hp,would bring the ski's off the ground under WOT,and out accelerate most any car or truck.
    Fun times --- SAWMAN

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That when we moved down here spring of 2003 after spending 18 years in Wyoming

We only moved from there because of the WX. It is basically the opposite of Fla.
    Summers are too hot and too long here. The winters were too cold,snowy,and long up there. It was fine when I was younger,however the older I got,the colder it seemed to get. We moved here in '03.
    Soon as I moved down here I started to miss Maine and the guide buisness. Too old now to move again. Will end up here 'til I die I suppose.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My dad had a good friend that lived on Rangeley lake. That was a sportsmen's haven. Great fishing and hunting.

Anytime he said we were headed to Walt Pecks place for a visit I knew we were headed on an adventure.

I've spent a lot of time up in Maine and enjoyed it a lot. Between Sebago lake, Long Lake area and Rangeley lake I have some great memories.

Wish I could return just one more time .

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have somebody send you the same picture taken in January, that should solve your homesickness.

Rick

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    We had:
    * Periods of 5-8 days that it NEVER got >0deg Fahrenheit,day or night.
    * Many,many nights per winter that it got lower than 15deg below zero.
    * My wife and I had to cut,split,and stack in the basement,7-8 chords of wood per year.
    * Snow storms of 40 inches within a 48 hour period.
    * A "just planted" garden killing frost (27deg) on June 6th.
    * A garden killing frost as early as mid Sept.
    * We did not even have a long enough growing season for tomatoes.
    * I have seen opening day of bird (grouse/partridge)season on Oct 1st be 15-20 degrees in the AM.
    * Many years we had to use snowshoes to hunt during the deer season (Nov 1st ' -- Dec 10th )
    Again . . . . not bad when your young,but . . . . . --- SAWMAN

A lot like Minnesota only colder. Sometime in late November the temperature would go below 32 degrees and wouldn't go back above it until sometime in late February or early March. Typically about 3 months where the temperature would never go above freezing. So cold the mighty Mississippi river freezes over to 2 feet thick or more, I've walked across it many times growing up there.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    I spent 20 some winters in northern Maine, 13 miles from Canada, where its even colder by about 10 degrees usually. Lots of great memories and even fun times in the winter if you hunt, ski , fish , snowmobile, back in the 70's we had one that passed 100mph, I would hate to know how fast they are now. It's not really cold until your pee freezes before it hits the ground. I have seen kids toes get black just from playing outside for a few hours. Now they have manicured snowmobile / atv trails from one end of the state to the other. We had to make our own, but still had a nice network of trails. I am very happy I grew up there, and would love to go back if I didn't have to worry about making a living.

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got real close to Maine back in 82. Welder at Seabrook Station Nuclear plant.
    Stayed in Portsmouth NH. and ventured into Kittery Maine every weekend to a giant outdoor store. (Kittery Trading Post?)

Winter was so cold that car lock once froze.
    Scary cold for this rebel.
    Nice hardy people.
    They liked my accent.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Kittery Trading Post is still there on Rt. 1 in Kittery.
    Huge selection of guns. More than I had ever seen on display. Bought several from them over the years. They used to be a wholesaler back when I had my FFL. First time I ever went there was about '82. --- SAWMAN

Latest posts

Top Bottom