• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    When I first started deer hunting many years ago I was guilty of "too much magnification." I couldn't figure out why I couldn't hold still when aiming.
    I wounded a couple because of it. Got them with the second shot but I hate that I needed it.
    Finally figured out that just because your scope goes to 10X doesn't mean you have to put it at 10X.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I missed a buck at about 200 yards for the same reason. Stand faced West into the setting Sun, even with the sun behind the treeline at the higher magnification it amplified the orange glow from the sun causing a glare where I couldn't get a good shot on the Buck. I learned later hunting that stand at sunset when I lowered the magnification it cleared up the glare and I would have been able to make an easy shot on that Buck.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    THEY SNEAK UP ON YOU, twice! I was on a side hill game trail going up a narrow vally and had a urgent nature call. I dropped off the trail, anchored the rifle, dropped trou and leaned back against a tree. It was just a few seconds later I could smell them (urine) and at the instant it registered in my brain: I had several cow elk and spikes passing on the trail below and above me. I could have touched the as they passed. I stayed frozen until a good size bull brought up the rear. I grabbed the rifle and stood (trousers still around ankles) and elk exploded in all directions. The herd hadn't passed, just a small portion of the lead did and the larger group spooked launching all of them. Between the "schooling fish" defense dense timber and trying to find another bull among the retreating tan butts, I could not find a good shot. When I stalk I still hear every twig and dry leaf under my feet, I never heard a single hoof touch the ground as they walked right next to me!

The second time, I walked down hill from above a elk wallow and stopped at the runoff creek to adjust my back pack. I took off my fanny pack bent to put it on the ground then just dropped it the last foot: plop! I hear a clatter to the left, turn and see a Bull 15ft away in the little, shallow creek. Picture a cartoon where the legs are cranking as hard and fast as they will go but no forward motion! He looses balance and falls over with a good splash. First , he suprised me and he is so close, then awestruck by the action. Its a shinny object: I can only watch and don't react spectacle. He's finally up and gone in what was a total of 4-5 seconds. Once again, I never heard him until he spooked.

Heavy animals, big hoofs, large racks but they are called Ghost Deer for a reason.

Top Bottom