• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm in Florida and have someone looking to make a trade with me from Alabama. I have a handgun and will be trading for his rifle. I've never done a trade before out of state and especially with one side being a handgun I need to make sure it's done right.

So can anyone tell me what is the procedure? Do we have to go to an FFL in Fl. and one in AL? Can it all be done at one in AL? I've got no idea so any advice will be appreciated. Also would like recommendations for FFL's to use near the FL/AL border.
    Thanks!

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    You need to pick one on the Alabama side, so the Alabama resident can go home with the handgun after the trade. As long as both parties can pass a NICS background check, should be easy. Be nice if the AL resident had a current carry permit, only one call-in needed then (FL resident).

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm not a lawyer and I don't work for the ATF....

But from everything I've gathered over the past few years, you should be able to do both transfers at an FFL in Alabama. Since the person receiving the handgun is an AL resident, the FFL has to be in AL. Since you as an FL resident are able to buy and leave with a long gun from an FFL in AL, the same FFL should be able to handle both transfers. If you want to be absolutely certain you're following all of laws, then you can transfer the handgun to him at an AL FFL and transfer the long gun to you at an FL FFL.

Kenny's Gun Room is just South of the Wilcox exit on I-10 in Alabama.

Ammunition Sales is near Pensacola Christian College in Pensacola.

Both of them have done several transfers for me and should be able to answer your questions with absolute confidence. Nate (Little Jack's Guns on here) and Joel (Roaster's Gallery on here) should also be able to verify the correct procedure. From talking to employees at a few other FFL's in the area, I'm not sure I would trust anyone else to give you correct info.

Edit: Sorry, Joel. I forgot about Roaster's Gallery if you're talking about the FL/AL border up towards Atmore.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Traders are welcome to test fire each other's firearms at my place. Bring your own ammo.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the reply's. I now know how to handle this if it happens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom