Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    GPUs are much more powerful the CPUs. The main reason they haven't replaced CPUs entirely is that regular software code is pretty much a linear task execution. Even multithread CPUs sit around with a lot of idle threads, most of the time. Besides things like branch prediction and pre - fetching, nobody's really figured out how to implement code execution on them well. Linear code is usually very dependent on what happened earlier, so very hard to parallel process.

Quote Originally Posted by TennJeep1618 View Post
    Looks like I have Windows 10 Home 64 bit and an AMD Radeon R5 series video card with shared memory.

I can't seem to even find the video card on the benchmark website, Droshki. That's probably not a good sign.
    If you're really serious about it, I'd go with a desktop unless you need the portability. Intel i7, a good Nvidia card (I haven't bothered with Radeon since the early 2000s) and at least 16 GB of RAM would be a good start, IMO. Nvidia GeForce 1060s are running pretty low right now, but graphics cards in general are a little hard to get with the sudden boom of crypto currency mining. There was one online retailer that was actually imposing a $10,000 charge on orders with multiple GFX cards to try and temper the buying craze down a little bit. Like someone suggested earlier, though - Apple is king for media. It pains me to say that because I don't like their computers / OS much, but I can't deny the fact that they rock for those sorts of applications.

I don't know what your budget might be, but the sky's the limit if your wallet will allow it.

Jeep at Best Buy for $500 I got an HP Pavilion I7 notebook, 8G ram, 64bit 17" monitor last year that I believe has all Viking's specs, just so you know it does not have to cost an arm and a leg.
    Vietnam Vet...Vets Helping Vets...To ALL who Serve: Thank You for your Service!
    The 6.8SPCII is the #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs with an AR15

VETS for TRUMP 2020 "VICTORY"

22LR
    Brant,

You're going to be primarily looking for CPU speed to speed up your rendering as most of the work to render a video is being done inside the CPU rather than the GPU.

You've got a AMD A8-7410 which is a low/mid end CPU/GPU combo.

Here's a comparison of your CPU with the current laptop sweet spot, the i7 7700HQ.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2537&cmp[]=2906

It's about 3x faster overall and you can expect about the same benefit rendering videos, so your 45 minute render time will be closer to 15 minutes.

Here's a search of all laptops that sport the chip. Some of them come with dedicated GPUs but if you're not gaming the integrated graphics will work just fine.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...CE&PageSize=36

The refurb Dell Inspiron would work well for your needs. $830
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA9SK62T9086

For another $30 or so the next step up is about 10% faster than that. $860
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA9SK62U1045

If you don't want a refurb then the next cheapest platform is going to be a Lenovo Yoga convertible laptop/tablet at $999 but they often go on sale for less than that:
    http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...170912144751:s

The Bearded Moderator TennJeep1618's Avatar
    Hmm...

Thanks for all of the info.

I'm thinking it's probably not worth upgrading right now when I'm only doing 2-4 videos a month and my current computer still works. I considered building a desktop to suit my needs, but I really need the portability of a laptop. Whenever my current laptop starts to crap out, I'll probably go ahead and spend the extra to get one better suited to my needs.
    I learn the hard way.

Resident trigger snob.

My YouTube Channel <--- Link

Suggestion - - - -> Use the money for more training. Shoot better. Get more exposure. Pick up big name sponsors. They will buy you vid equip. Become rich and famos. Quit talking to us little guys. Start your own competition shooting forum. Make Stanley a mod as you leave here.
    THERE . . . . --- SAWMAN
    "Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A (MK-23 / XM-207)

7. 2 Like SAWMAN's Post:

The Bearded Moderator TennJeep1618's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Suggestion - - - -> Use the money for more training. Shoot better. Get more exposure. Pick up big name sponsors. They will buy you vid equip. Become rich and famos. Quit talking to us little guys. Start your own competition shooting forum. Make Stanley a mod as you leave here.
    THERE . . . . --- SAWMAN
    New life plan. Thanks, SAWMAN!
    I learn the hard way.

Resident trigger snob.

My YouTube Channel <--- Link

45 ACP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fear21 View Post
    If you're really serious about it, I'd go with a desktop unless you need the portability.
    This!

You get more horsepower for your money with a desktop, or a mini or mid-tower.
    With a laptop, you're paying a price for the portability aspect. And it's easier to upgrade components in a mini or mid tower to squeeze more useful life out of an aging PC.