• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So we find ourselves being bullied by the Bill Salter Ad Company. They own the triangle of land that their Billboard is on in front of our shop. It is on Davis and Duval in front of the big HOME improvement store (just north of Brent Lane).
    Bill Salter has been trying to get us to buy the land (which means give him money so we can pay the taxes on it and he gets to keep his Billboard on it and retains all rights and access to it) and we actually made him an offer which was reasonable and based on what he had sold other similar parcels for. He counter offered to sell it to us at 2X that amount.
    So now, he has erected a FOR SALE BY OWNER sign, which is his right to do. Except you would think that a guy that makes a living putting up signs would be smarter that this. The one sided sign faces our shop, well off the road. It doesn't say what is for sale or even who to contact. It is even the same color scheme as the lettering on our shop. It is clearly displayed to make people question if we are going out of business or trying to sell.
    Which leads me to believe that the management of this company is either STUPID or PETTY and just plain being JERKS. And even I do not think they are stupid.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you do buy the land doesn't he then have to pay you rent to keep the sign there? Give him no longer than a 12 month lease and raise the rent every 12 months!

Mic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No. It would not be a lease. He gets paid for the land, relieved of the tax burden AND he gets to keep the Billboard up and the access to it.
    I mean, where do I sign up for that deal??? Any of y'all want in on the sweet offer?

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He can't be serious. Does he actually think anyone is stupid enough to go for that deal?

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Then again, there's a lot of stupid people out there...

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Growing up in P'cola I recall that the Salter series of big signs has been around for quite some time. AND . . as I recall there has most always been some kind of "reports" of somewhat slimy dealings going on.
    Awhile back it was because of the size of their signs in certain areas of town. It was always rumored that Salter snd his buds had some sort of control,or on the least collusion with the Escambia County politicians.
    Seems that I remember also that the Salter signs were causing a stink with some of the Feds/state that control the freeway system.
    Never had dealings with them,so the above is just hearsay. --- SAWMAN

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is this the billboard in question?

Capture-1.JPG

Attachments

• Capture-1.JPG
      Capture-1.JPG
      241.5 KB · Views: 159

Mic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes. The property line is just past the gravel driveway and cuts across to Duval St. So the FOR SALE BY OWNER sign (Sheet of plywood on a couple of 4x4s and only one sided) is about 30 feet into the lot and facing the entrance to our store. It is really a "bush league" petty move. Who ever thought it was a good idea is an idiot and a jerk. And if you see them, tell'em I said so.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why in the world would you even consider buying the property? You can't do anything with it right?

Mic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You could conceivably put a food truck on it, or sell a few used cars...something like that. But we have no interest in doing either.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Is it a gym or do you sell gym equipment?

i can think up 3 things you could do with the space, but last I checked a private citizen couldn't force another private citizen to buy property.

Why not just put a larger sign blocking it on your property?

Last edited:

Mic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We sell equipment. I describe our store this way; Most people have only ever seen "stuff at the gym" or "stuff at Sears". We sell quality fitness equipment. We sell good home equipment as well as commercial equipment to gyms, condos, apartments, corporate...pretty much anybody that is looking for good stuff. We also sell used equipment too. And our used equipment is good quality as well. We don't sell the department store/ sporting goods store stuff. We love all those stores, we just don't sell the same stuff.
    And yes, we can put a sign up in front of theirs, or we could put a sign up to clarify theirs since they are so stupid as to advertise something for sale and not really explain what is for sell, but I guess I just expect MORE from people that run a business like that and just wish they would not try to go out of their way to hurt others.
    The guy that owns the company claims to be a Christian and goes to a Church over in Milton, I just wish he would pay attention when he goes...

Mic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And to answer your question about a private citizen not being able to force another to buy property, you are correct, he can not. That is why they resort to childish, petty things like this. Let me be clear: The sign is on his property and he has every right to erect it. It is just a crappy way to do it and his intention (with this sign and it's location) is to hurt our business and not to sell the land.
    Thanks to all for your support.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Put his wife's name and phone number on a small sign in front of it. :rain::lol:

Top Bottom