• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    FWIW, I run across installers everyday. The going rate for an installed 20kw is somewhere around $9k-10k, depending on accessories and application changes of course. Definitely cheaper than it was a few years ago. On the other hand, solar panels are about a 10 year investment before you start recouping costs. But this is just a rough estimate and will vary from house to house and what your usage needs are.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Living on a "Dead Grid". No commercial power or water, no ATM or bank services. You may not have a local job to go to and Zero paycheck. Can you find someone to make change for your gold coin/ingots? Propane resupply may not be available but gas from dead vehicles probably will be (got a water/fuel filter separator?). Material issues aside, does the family have the mental and physical toughness to deal with the issues at hand for days, weeks and likely months. Property insurance is great but don't expect them to come to your door but do expect them to offer settlement below policy amounts you paid for. Costs for repairs in post disaster areas will spike due to high demand. There will be a lot of scam "contractors" looking for desperate peoples money.

Thing to think about.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You will never break even with solar. The panels will need replaced before you recoup the cost.

My aforementioned ex-coworker got a huge subsidy on his from the power company(?). Like 50 percent. They're also dropping in price very rapidly. They are still fugly though.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I agree with the solar panel maintenance. The recoup of investment is also based on a quite a few sunny days, this summer proved to be considerably more cloudy than most. Not to mention the potential damage from mother nature.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Solar is definitely something I'll looking into if I ever build another house. Seems like it would be a good time where you could roll the initial costs into a low interest mortgage loan.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When this matures, it's gonna take off like a rocket. Ha, no pun intended.

https://www.tesla.com/solarroof

Solar Roof complements your home’s architecture while turning sunlight into electricity. With an integrated Powerwall battery, energy collected during the day is stored and made available any time, effectively turning your home into a personal utility. Glass solar tiles are so durable they are warrantied for the lifetime of your house, or infinity, whichever comes first.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is a reason or ten the large scale solar companies go bankrupt, even with government backing.

When all of the magic smoke escapes from your inverter at 2 AM you can't call out JWlineman to fix it either. Might be days to get a rep out with parts.

Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    China:

http://www.dw.com/en/china-leading-the-way-in-solar-energy-expansion-as-renewables-surge/a-39081117

The development of renewable energy is setting new records, with solar power now becoming cheaper than energy from new coal or nuclear plants. China and other players in Asia are making serious inroads into the market.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...r-boom-to-the-roof-as-bigger-plants-stay-idle

Installations atop factories, malls and airports are likely to surge sixfold to almost 40 gigawatts by the end of 2020 and 125 gigawatts by 2040, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance. That would give China roofs installed capacity roughly equal to the entire solar market in the U.S. at the end of 2016.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/18/technology/china-us-clean-energy-solar-farm/index.html

As the Trump administration yanks the U.S. out of the Paris climate change agreement, claiming it will hurt the American economy, Beijing is investing hundreds of billions of dollars and creating millions of jobs in clean power.

https://www.pv-tech.org/news/china-boom-expected-to-lift-2017-global-solar-forecasts-beyond-90gw

One of the first market research firms to update global forecasts for the solar industry has been IHS Markit, which expects 90GW of global PV installations in 2017, a 14% growth rate over the previous year.

Recently, China’s National Energy Administration (NEA) had stated that in the first half of 2017 a total 24.4GW of solar was grid connected. Soon after, China Electric Council (CEC) reported that 2017 cumulative installations had reached 34.9GW by the end of July.

IHS Markit said that it estimated that 26GW of installations were completed in China the first half of 2017, and a further 12GW is expected to be installed in the third quarter of 2017. For the full-year, IHS Markit is forecasting China to install a total of 45GW in 2017.

USA:

https://e360.yale.edu/features/could-trade-dispute-with-china-bring-an-end-to-u-s-solar-boom

Now, though, the solar boom may be in jeopardy. The U.S. International Trade Commission, an independent federal agency, has begun an investigation that could lead to sweeping trade protections against the imports that would raise the costs of solar power and could bring a halt to solar’s rapid U.S. growth.

Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When all of the magic smoke escapes from your inverter at 2 AM you can't call out JWlineman to fix it either. Might be days to get a rep out with parts.

Easy stuff- built in redundancy. Two phase locked inverters in parallel, each capable of carrying the whole load. One drops, the other picks up the load and tells Elon Musk to send a tech by with a new one.

In reality, since he's currently sending spacecraft to the ISS, he's probably relatively familiar with triple redundancy.

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's what I have. I cut the 4 gang female plugs off of the furnished cord and attached a male dryer plug. I mounted a dryer receptacle out in my shop and connected it to a 30 A 2 pole breaker in the shop panel which is fed from a breaker in the house. You MUST turn off the house main breaker first!!!! Then plug everything up before firing up the generator. Remember that male dryer plug will be hot if the generator is running. IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH ELECTRICITY THEN DON'T DO THIS. YOU CAN KILL YOURSELF OR A LINEMAN.

I don't have a main breaker in my power pak meter panel on the side of my home.
    I MUST-MUST-MUST PULL THE METER TO AVOID KILLING THE POWER COMPANY LINEMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If meter had not been pulled, I would be introducing 240 volts to nearby transformer that would step up the voltage to 7200 volts leaving the transformer looking for a good grounding source(ie a out of town lineman sent here to help us out)

Only had to do this once after Hurrican Ivan.

Linemen re-installed my meter when power is restored to neighborhood.
    I keep a eye out for line workers in my neighborhood to let them know what I've done by cutting meter seal and pulling meter so I could power up with gen set.

Do not do this if your not familiar with electricity.

Last edited:

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've never seem that kind of set up. But I'm sure they appreciate the effort .

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Easy stuff- built in redundancy. Two phase locked inverters in parallel, each capable of carrying the whole load. One drops, the other picks up the load and tells Elon Musk to send a tech by with a new one.

In reality, since he's currently sending spacecraft to the ISS, he's probably relatively familiar with triple redundancy.

More money to recoup. $4,000 and up.

Members online

Top Bottom