• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Un-prepped now.
    1/1,000,000 inch of rain here.
    Sitting here in the 74deg temp,with a light wind blowing,in a clear blue sky . . . .feeling really sorry for the people in the southern part of the state who's homes were destroyed and others who will be without power for days.
    We were lucky. I feel lucky. Hoping for the best for those poor people. --- SAWMAN

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Anybody in the construction or restoration business that can't find work now should consider a different career. Insurance companies will take a hit but places like Lowe's and Home Depot and other lumber/construction supply companies will see a boom in business. Old stuff that was destroyed by wind will be replaced with better structures meeting the new code, life goes on for those who survived. Prayers to those families of those who perished in these storms.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Always better to prep too much then too little. I don't conside track forecasting accuracy as being very good. No regrets on boarding up and they will stay up until Jose progresses to a point of Zero impact probabilty on Fl. This is a good time to assess and address any shortfalls you discovered Irma.

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Clear as mud. Very thankful it left us alone. Hoping nothing else comes our way for a while. Definitely an eye opener since we're new to the area. Got a generator on the wishlist along with a few other odds and ends so we're prepared. Was thinking of going natural gas since we have a gas tankless water heater and oven/cooktop. Anyone have any opinions on the matter? I know it has it's plusses and minuses but I'm weighing options and would like to hear from those that have been in the area for a while and can speak from experience. Or maybe I should start a new thread...

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Clear as mud. Very thankful it left us alone. Hoping nothing else comes our way for a while. Definitely an eye opener since we're new to the area. Got a generator on the wishlist along with a few other odds and ends so we're prepared. Was thinking of going natural gas since we have a gas tankless water heater and oven/cooktop. Anyone have any opinions on the matter? I know it has it's plusses and minuses but I'm weighing options and would like to hear from those that have been in the area for a while and can speak from experience. Or maybe I should start a new thread...

Good for you Joe.
    I've had a tri-fuel rig on my Troy Bilt generator for about 5 years now. Propane is so much easier to store than gasoline and I have two 100 pound cylinders ready to go along with a few BBQ grill size bottles.
    It was very very easy to install the conversion kit. On my particular 16hp Briggs engine, it was simply swapping out the plastic carburetor intake to air filter elbow to allow their propane dispersion device.
    I crank it up maybe 3 times a year just to be sure. During this recent episode of Irma, I did buy 20 gallons of gasoline for the generator and planned to use gasoline first in the event of a power outage. Logic (MINE) being to only use the propane when I can no longer easily get gasoline.
    According to some engine experts, if engine wasn't specifically designed to run on propane, then some wear is to be expected on valve seat area. A good question to ask the maker of the conversion kit about your particular generator engine.
    If your interested, check out this link for more information on their product:
    http://www.uscarburetion.com/

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My neighbor has a 20 Kw generator connected to the natural gas line of his house and a transfer switch, but, said neighbor is retired from being the comptroller at Monsanto so maybe not the price range you're looking for. Its a nice compact unit and clean installation though.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    My neighbor has a 20 Kw generator connected to the natural gas line of his house and a transfer switch, but, said neighbor is retired from being the comptroller at Monsanto so maybe not the price range you're looking for. Its a nice compact unit and clean installation though.

20kw will run everything

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have an ex-coworker on base with a similar setup that I could ping if you want me to ask him about price. I'm sure its not cheap though.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have an ex-coworker on base with a similar setup that I could ping if you want me to ask him about price. I'm sure its not cheap though.

they are not cheap.

I have two 5500 troybilt , one with the furnished 4 way plug that come with them(you can buy separate too)or do this:
    legal disclaimer, I am not an electrician, but the key to this is, you must turn your main breaker off, or disconnect the meter..or risk killing linemen..then pick which breakers to turn off...

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/wattage-calculator

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's what I have. I cut the 4 gang female plugs off of the furnished cord and attached a male dryer plug. I mounted a dryer receptacle out in my shop and connected it to a 30 A 2 pole breaker in the shop panel which is fed from a breaker in the house. You MUST turn off the house main breaker first!!!! Then plug everything up before firing up the generator. Remember that male dryer plug will be hot if the generator is running. IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH ELECTRICITY THEN DON'T DO THIS. YOU CAN KILL YOURSELF OR A LINEMAN.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would venture a guess that a lot of residential size generators were underwater with Harvey and Irma: food for thought on pad elevation and location. I have a larger portable but still portable enough to get it out of harms way. I have no desire to power a entire house. Will run fridge & freezer and power tool loads. As such, it won't have to run 24/7 and reduced fuel consumption.

Some generators are really loud. This impacts your ability to sleep and hear potential threats and can attract attention you might not want either. Consider a exhaust extension, clamp on muffler or welded to scrap manifold extending to ground level. Then you can route it where you want from there, end in a sound absorbing box that will defuse/muffle relrease into atmosphere.

Have spare parts: fuse, breakers, filters (air, fuel and oil), (spark plugs (use anti seize compound on threads), proper size power cords, change oil! Reserve a can or two of electrical Parts cleaner just for your gen. I store my gen with a empty gas tank and carb run dry.

Its very important to know you gens running time & fuel consumption under load conditions. These results will give you a idea of fuel stock you will need for XX number of days.

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have read that the natural gas consumption of those whole house generators are really huge. Some folks have reported hundreds of dollars gas bills after running the generator for several days. Anyone with any direct experience of running a generator on natural gas want to comment?

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom