• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Just what FL needs, bet out Insurance rate go sky high now, is it too late to get coverage?

Water was sold out at Several of the Walmarts, will not be long for Gas to be gone, God Speed Friends!

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife and I were at Walmart yesterday stocking up on a few things. Irma could be our first hurricane down here. Bought our brand new house back in July. Not in a flood zone but very close. A few of the homes on our street are in the flood zone and there's water about 150 yards away that leads to the gulf. We're right around the corner of the backdate to the NAS. Bought a couple tarps, gas cans, a bunch of water, buckets, screws, canned food and other nonperishables, etc. We don't plan on staying if she does come this way. We have family in AL and GA that we would stay with. Just hoping it doesn't head this way. Don't have a generator yet or a few other items on the list. Luckily we both drive SUV's so I can have the dogs and guns in mine and she can have other valuables in hers.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Irma's exact path is still not determined but all WX models show its going to impact Fl somewhere. Its a BIG Cat 5 now and it will cut a wide swath. That northward turn going up the Atlantic coast they were predicting fizzled out as the storm grew in strength. I see no geographical features or strong high/low pressure areas that would steer a Cat 5 away from the Gulf. Stop reading this and get your prep work done!

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Started prepping this weekend, will be working to get as much off the floor of my garage this week after work. Been working on cleaning the garage for a couple of weeks now, just means I need to speed the process up a bit. My house sits 5 feet off the ground but the garage itself is ground level so it can get 5 feet of water in it before ever getting in the house. I had a 20" water line in my garage after Dennis, the first 5 feet of the walls are cinder block/cement so I just have to make sure nothing is on the floor. I have a lot of overhead storage with 13' ceilings. Pain in the ass but it is what it is!

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Just what FL needs, bet out Insurance rate go sky high now, is it too late to get coverage?!

Yup too late. They say when there is a "named" storm, they shut it down. There was a girl in the store earlier and she said she couldn't get insurance either. She said it's not even coming this was, but they said No.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Also, if your payment is due soon, you should go ahead and pay it, or get it mailed (postmark dated). Just in case it does come here, you wait too long, without power or internet connection, you're payment won't make the deadline time, and they "will" deny your coverage in case of damage. This happened to a cousin, I think it was when Ivan hit. Their newly built house on the bay was destroyed. Insurance denied coverage, because of "late" payment. They won the case only because the postmark was 5 days prior to the storm hitting. These insurance companies want your money, but sure don't like giving it back. g/l to everyone, and lets pray it doesn't come this way. Let it stay in the Atlantic.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    While I pray it doesn't affect us they keep shifting the track to the west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    WATER -> Both drinking,coffee,and to flush the toilets get put into the blue plastic 55gal drums. One gets put in front of the metal garage "man" door. Another on the front porch in front of the front door after the plywood goes on. Another in front of the attached garage "man door". They get filled 3/4 full of water from the garden hose.
    BATTERIES -> I only have a couple of small lights that take "AA" batts. I have about 18-20 extremely bright hand held or head mounted lights that ALL take 18650 batts. I have about 30 of these batts and will be all charged withing the next day or so.
    YARD STUFF -> All out lawn furniture,bird feeders,hose reels,potted plants,lawn art,etc,will fit in the garages.
    VEHICLES -> My wifes SUV will go into the attached garage. My truck will have to stay out,but will be tucked in tight,sideways,to the garage door. My truck holds 38gal of fuel. Got gas this AM and will try to get gas every morning. Wifes SUV will get filled this afternoon.
    PROPANE -> I have three tanks. Two are full,will fill the other one this afternoon. Our outdoor grill has a side burner that we can put a fry pan on.
    Will get some extra litter and cat food to have on hand for our old indoor cat and even older out side cat.
    Will keep out my Mossberg Shockwave,Glock 31,and Glock 32. My wife will keep out her revo. The rest of my "stashed" guns will be put in the safe as well as important documents,jewlery,etc,etc.
    Then - - - - - > PRAY !! --- SAWMAN

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just got back from WalMart and sho-nuff they had just sold out of water again. Lot'sa people with 4-6 cases of water in their carts, some with looks of pending panic on their faces. But no more water on the shelves or pallets, and BTW sold out of Vienna Sausages too.

Fortunately I wasn't there for water or Vienna's. I already have plenty of both water and canned goods in my hurricanes supplies, and should that run low I can always requisition more from my EMP supplies.;)

I suppose in an absolutely worst case scenario I could always use a Life Straw and drink rainwater that accumulates in the bed of my truck.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I cannot believe I still have my FEMA generator from Ivan, changed the battery, put some gas in and it started right up! Batteries charging. By the way you can still buy insurance, am getting a quote today but then again I am just a renter.

I really figure it would be really bad luck for it to hit here but wanted to be prepared just in case.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    This sucks... I really don't want to work thru another Ivan.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just load tested my generator. I need to fill a couple of gas cans (most are already full) and exchange one propane tank which will give me three full ones. I will look for water while I am out. Pretty much good after that. May go top off the boat. It will be 40 gallons when full and already have 16 gallons in the little boat.

I'll decide on go or stay after they get a better idea.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    You guys do know that you can get water from that lever on your sink, correct ? We did it for years.

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hopefully we'll get lucky and it will stay out of the gulf. Water temp is up and it will definitely gain strength if it does. Hate to be in its' path if it does!

Anyone have any other tips or advice for being prepared? We've got extra food for all the dogs. Plenty of batteries, nonperishables, extra gas cans that are filled...
    We don't have a generator or a grill. They're on the WTB list but our priority has been trying to make double payments on the house to pay down the principle. Not on hurricane preparation. Go figure...

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    A cheap Weber charcoal grill is a decent storm list one and if you had a generator, a window A/C unit is priceless.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Joe, you might check Craigslist. There were a bunch of $200 - $300 generators on there but they might be gone by now.
    Hopefully all of this is just practice for us.

Top Bottom