• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reel_crazy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    watching the tragedy unfold in texas got me thinking bout all the guns and ammo left behind by folks that had to evacuate with little notice...what would i do in that situation... what can be done if anything to lessen the damage?..

Does anyone make a flood proof gun safe??...

rich

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I suppose if that happened to me, I'd hit up the local marine supply for a case of 3M 5200. It will cure even under water.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Droshki that is a very good thing, just remember, there is a hole in most for a wire for a drier, holes in the bottom and back for bolts. And place a bowl over the lock, an glue it in place , Have been thinking about this. Just my 5 cents jj

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    After the last one I was in , I have been buying Ammo cans that seal, and other contains that seal to put things that water will ruin , the 20 mm cans works for light things, but not for ammo if you going to move it. Just some more things to think about. Just my 5 cents jj

reel_crazy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    all good sugestions...actually the 5200 just might make the safe impossible for even thieves to open,,,stuff has some serious holding power..

i think vacuum packing pistols in food saver bags is reasonable... not sure bout rifles...and of course all this assumes you know it is coming and you have time and materials to get it done..i did look around and it seems there are safes that say they are water resistant.. and even those most only seal the bottom couple of feet or so...have yet to find one that claims it is submersible...

and yeah most guns could probably be cleaned up after the fact but that irreplaceable collection of colt snake guns is gonna suffer...

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    all good sugestions...actually the 5200 just might make the safe impossible for even thieves to open,,,stuff has some serious holding power..

Yes, I considered how hard it can be to remove, but when I was in the marine industry, we would heat it up real good with a heat gun to get it to release.

Sure wouldnt put it *inside* the door lip. It would be all over then.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They do make waterproof safes! I have a smaller one that documents are in that need the water protection immediately. But for a larger gun safe with feet of water to protect against, you are talking some money!

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yea I looked into water proof safe when I bought the last Fort Knox safe. I opted for more steel and liner instead. I feel my worst issue would be a fire before water or thief. But still pretty happy with the safe and it's not going anywhere. Bolted to floor and weights over 1800 lbs empty. I will replace the other safes with fort knox in the near future.

Members online

Top Bottom