Flying with guns and ammo

I may be flying to Central Florida in September for a match. I have never tried to fly with my gear. Can someone give me some best practices? I know I can check the airlines site, but they just give me the rules, not the best way to follow them and not have nine bags to check. Thanks, Russ

Here is a prior Thread on the subject. It might cover what you need.

http://gulfcoastgunforum.com/showthr...ng+guns%2C+tsa
    Wild Rider

Those that give up their guns are on a self destructive fools errand. Tyranny shall never take what it didn't provide: not by paper, not by Court and not by force.

I'll tell ya Russ,seems to me that after the airline fare,checking bags at $25 per pop or so,the TSA feel up,etc,etc . . . it would almost be better/cheaper to rent a vech and drive down. Especially if you could split the cost with another competitor. --- SAWMAN
    "Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A (MK-23 / XM-207)

4. 2 Like SAWMAN's Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RussSurfs View Post
    I may be flying to Central Florida in September for a match. I have never tried to fly with my gear. Can someone give me some best practices? I know I can check the airlines site, but they just give me the rules, not the best way to follow them and not have nine bags to check. Thanks, Russ
    What match are you going to Russ?

Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    I'll tell ya Russ,seems to me that after the airline fare,checking bags at $25 per pop or so,the TSA feel up,etc,etc . . . it would almost be better/cheaper to rent a vech and drive down. Especially if you could split the cost with another competitor. --- SAWMAN
    You could also FEDEX them prior to flying down. We used o do that with our surf boards when they started charging an arm and a leg to check them.