• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Today while at ERGC running the pistol through a few hundred rounds, I noticed the takedown screw had backed out. Rookie move on my part not checking before shooting and occasionally during the shoot. This is a new gun. Bottom photo shows separation. Middle photo shows correct orientation. Look close and you can see the takedown screw protruding below the frame. The top photo shows the screw. It had backed out three full turns. Check them before you go and keep your 1/8" allen wrench handy.

Attachments

• 2017-08-27 21.16.44.jpg
      2017-08-27 21.16.44.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 237
    • 2017-08-27 21.17.33.jpg
      2017-08-27 21.17.33.jpg
      751.6 KB · Views: 252
    • 2017-08-27 21.17.17.jpg
      2017-08-27 21.17.17.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 261
    Last edited:

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Quick check of internet indicates that others experience this problem. I would check to see their solutions. One solution was using a small rubber o ring, instead of a lock washer, to secure the screw. Maybe S&W has a solution.

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I normally do a fastener check before taking a gun to the range. Not a fan of lock washers either but I do like other options like the thin O-RIng, or even better, a Springy Washer. Before I go either way, I'll install it dry and monitor it as I shoot.

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like the torque for that screw should be 20 in/lb. Installed dry with no washer. I snugged it down and will watch it.

Bagger56

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That problem is nothing new but the good news is that if you email S&W with your problem, they well mail you a new bolt that is suppose to fix it. I got me in the mail last week, just haven't been out to try it out. They don't give you a torque, I have seen a number of opinions on different forums most are around the 40"lbs.

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks, I'll e-mail them. The owners manual says to snug the screw down dry and keep an eye on it, LOL. Gives no torque value.

Last edited:

Bagger56

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you had any other problems with it? My slide would only lock back on the last round 1 in every 4 or 5 mag's. I would also get a FTF once in every 75 rounds and the gun would get so dirty after about 150 rounds that the slide would lock up. So mine Victory is back at S&W.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Blue locktite. If it still backs out clean it and and the smallest drop of red locktite.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    NO RED LOC TITE !!
    Blue will work as long as you clean both sets of threads properly. Remember though . . . if you go in and out with that screw about 10 times,you might have to clean off the Loc Tite(with acetone)and reapply.
    IMO this particular screw is not a torque thing . . . it's loosening because of the vibration and metal to metal fit. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom