• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree. Specifically can you post the text of the new law please? The first link goes to a blog that doesn't have any real specifics, just a lot of hyperbole, and the other link wouldn't open for me (even when I whitelist in ghostery).

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Text from the PDF at the second link:

SENATE MAJORITY OFFICE
    Oregon State Legislature State Capitol Salem, OR

NEWS RELEASE
    May 1, 2017
    CONTACT: Rick Osborn (503) 986-1074 Rick.osborn@oregonlegislature.gov

Bipartisan bill keeps weapons away from people in crisis SB 719 protects people experiencing crisis from suicide or harming others

SALEM – The Oregon Senate passed bipartisan, common-sense legislation today that will save lives by keeping deadly weapons away from people at risk of harming themselves or others.

Senate Bill 719 is a measure to prevent suicide and other harmful behavior, similar to Washington’s Extreme Risk Protection Order – a ballot measure that passed statewide with about 70 percent of the vote last November. It allows a process for obtaining an Extreme Risk Protective Order that keeps deadly weapons away from a person whom the court finds to be at imminent risk – or risk in the near future – of suicide or being a danger to others.

“Extreme Risk Protective Orders will save lives by keeping guns away from people at risk of harming themselves or others,” said Sen. Ginny Burdick (D-Portland), who co-sponsored the bill with Sen. Brian Boquist (R-Dallas). “The suicide rate among veterans is alarming, with an average of 20 veterans each day dying from suicide, often by gunshot. By identifying signs that a person may be suffering trauma and temporarily separating them from their firearms, we can effectively protect veterans and others in crisis so that they can get the help they need.”
    Under the bill, a peace officer, family member or household member may petition the court for an Extreme Risk Protective Order. At the initial hearing, the petitioner must prove by a clear and convincing standard that the order should be put in place. If the order has been put in place, the person who has received the order has 30 days to request a hearing to rescind the order.

Once a protective order has been issued by the court, the person in question is required to temporarily surrender deadly weapons and any concealed handgun license they may have. The bill also creates a Class A misdemeanor for violating the order or for filing the order under false pretenses.
    Senate Bill 719 now goes to the House of Representatives for consideration.
    ###

Loki

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    "On Wednesday, Oregon Governor Kate Brown signed into law a democrat-sponsored gun confiscation bill, permitting Oregon judges to order guns to be confiscated under an “Extreme Risk Protection Order”, based on hearsay evidence, and before the gun owner is permitted a hearing to challenge the order.
    The law is based on Oregon Senate Bill 719 and was passed by Oregon democrats despite widespread condemnation by constitutional scholars and gun rights groups. All but 4 democratic senators voted in favor of the bill, while every republican senator but one voted against the bill.
    The sole “token” republican voting for the bill, Sen. Brian Boquist (R-Dallas, Oregon), claimed the law would “reduce veteran suicides”, and it was under that noble-sounding purpose that Democrat legislators steamrolled the bill through the legislative process.
    Paul Phillips, President of Oregon Gun Owners, noted the hypocrisy and the underlying purpose of the bill. The bill, he says, will do little to prevent ‘suicides’.
    What it will actually do, under the guise of ‘suicide prevention’, is deprive Oregon gun owners of their legal rights under the second amendment. Gun confiscations, he says, will be “based on hearsay evidence alone, and the firearm owner is not [even] privy to a fair trial.” "

From the OP link.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds like the beginning of a anti gun movement under the guise of trying to protect veterans. Smart on their part. If you fight it you hate veterans, if you support it, the anti gun folk are a step closer. My view personally is that yes PTSD exists and troops should receive counseling and help when they need it instead of a government check. If you offer free money people are going to take it, and guys with ptsd are considered a mental disorder which in turn should prohibit purchases of weapons. You can't have it all, free government money from an easily faked mental disability and then want to keep all you gun rights as well. I have known guys that truly have ptsd and all they wanted was help not money and definitely didn't want to be near guns. I have also met combat ptsd fakers that receive 100% disability and feel they are entitled to the world. Funny thing is most of those were just some support job and heard an explosion somewhere that melted their minds. Hmm...wonder why there is such a backlog at the VA? But if you say anything you are anti veteran and therefore anti American lol. What sucks is all the fakers creating the backlog and guys with no legs are having to wait. But what do I know. I am just a multi combat veteran that served in a combat job. Sorry for the rant

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I know of (first hand) a county deputy in NW Fla that is 100% disabled from "PTSD". His POV also (even) wears a DAV plate.
    I also know (first hand) of a county deputy that is fixing to retire from the force after 20+ years,and has been approved by the VA for 100% disability,PTSD related.
    All you Vietnam era vets . . . . . ever even hear the term "PTSD" mentioned after we came home ?? --- SAWMAN

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    no, never did.all I ever heard was Rapist,baby killers ect.ect.

Top Bottom