• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi all, so I will readily admit I have never been hunting in my 30 sumthing years of life. I joined the Army after high school and just never got around to it. So what I am saying is anyone out there with hunting experience mind schooling me on what I need to do from licenses to properly skinning and cooking whatever it is I end up shooting? Some great organizations out there have offered free hunting trips to sick, ill and wounded veterans but I have never signed up for one. I rather learn from someone with a good background in it than have that classroom environment feel.
    Anyhow I am self sufficient in everything I would need or need to get. Just need someone with some knowledge on the processes. If anyone is interested in teaching a dumb grunt to shoot something that doesnt walk on two legs I would be more than appreciative.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You need to go to myfwc.com and check out the brochures on hunting and licensing. Too much to type, but if you want to pm me your ph#, I can help you out on it.

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you have never taken a hunter safety course, enroll in one and get that out of the way. I think myfwc.com lists courses as they become available. From what I understand they fill up fast and are few and far between. http://myfwc.com/hunting/safety-education/courses/. There's a couple options. There is also a hunter mentoring program where you hunt under the supervision of a licensed hunter 21 or over who has completed all requirements to hunt http://myfwc.com/license/recreational/hunter-safety-requirement/. I would find a class and register now then hunt with experienced friends you trust. Read the regulations and don't go by hearsay when it comes to game laws. Also, if you're active duty or retired, you qualify for the military Sportsmans Gold license. This $20 license is a huge savings over the standard Sportsmans lic. If you intend to hunt Eglin, there's a fee associated with that too. Contact Jackson guard on Hwy 85 for specifcs. 850-882-4164. Good luck out there

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Good advice above . . . but I believe that your proof of being a veteran will exempt you from the hunters safety course.
    If you need any help with Eglin,I hunted it for years and still have some of my older maps with GPS coordinates written in. --- SAWMAN

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All great stuff gents thanks. I do have a Jackson Guard pass cause I like to go trail riding out there. Always hope to run into a Ranger School patrol and give them some lickys and chewys. I ran into one once but the RIs were all over them lol

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I gave a Ranger trainee a ride ounce. I was hunting and heading E on RR211 which is the most northern road between hwy 87 and hwy 85. He was humpin' about 85lbs in his Alice Pack at a pretty fast clip.
    I pulled up along side of him and asked him if he needed water or anything. He took some cold water and said that he was heading back towards Rudder. He sat on my tailgate and I road him E about three miles.
    Up ahead there was a truck coming towards us so I put on the brakes,he bailed out and headed for the woods to the S.
    I heard him hollar "thank you sir" as he disappeared into the thick stuff along the sides of Wolf Creek. --- SAWMAN

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I gave a Ranger trainee a ride ounce. I was hunting and heading E on RR211 which is the most northern road between hwy 87 and hwy 85. He was humpin' about 85lbs in his Alice Pack at a pretty fast clip.
    I pulled up along side of him and asked him if he needed water or anything. He took some cold water and said that he was heading back towards Rudder. He sat on my tailgate and I road him E about three miles.
    Up ahead there was a truck coming towards us so I put on the brakes,he bailed out and headed for the woods to the S.
    I heard him hollar "thank you sir" as he disappeared into the thick stuff along the sides of Wolf Creek. --- SAWMAN

That truck coming the towards you was most certainly some RI's looking for a lost Ranger lol. Hey at least he got three miles for free. Ranger school was my first introduction to the panhandle and the soft sand. I remember looking at the map and saying man there is no beach for miles and there is white beach sand out here we are trying to hump thru lol. I also remember doing the "assault" on Santa Rosa Island and paddling across to our landing site. I remember as we paddled we passed a few bars that were nicely lite up and looked like they were having a great time. Must have been a weekend. I dont remember anything for those 61 days anyway

Latest posts

Top Bottom