Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    If anyone out there has the experience and tools to change out a AK74 receiver let me know. I rather keep it local than ship it off. I am tired of looking at the name waffen werks on a gun with such nice parts. Went with Morrissey. X Y marked and selector engraving and notches left blank which is awesome cause I can put in the correct markings. I have never built an AK so I would love to learn from someone that knows. Will to pay, just PM. Thanks AK fans.

Hi all just a quick note on an AK I own and you may want to consider picking up. As some know I own a AK63D which is a Century milled receiver built on Hungarian parts kits. In essence its kind of a franken gun in that Hungary never produced a milled underfolder so historically it is inaccurate for the country of origin. However besides the milled receiver, U.S. non chrome lined barrel and Tapco trigger, the rest of the parts are Hungarian. Granted with a U.S. receiver and barrel, and FCG, that is arguably half the fight right there. The carrier, bolt barrel components and folding stock are kinda trivial in the grand scheme of longevity, accuracy and reliability.
    I am no longer a fan of the underfolder type of AK but since I have this guys I figured I would put a little work on it to see if it would grow on me.

Pros: Century milled receiver is amazing. truly amazing and does not have the C39 graffiti on it. Nice finish with the dot type discreet Maker SN engravings. Original Hungarian wood looked great. Underfolding stock is very sturdy and finished nicely as well. Tapco trigger was good out of the box. 14x1LH threaded barrel with detent and spring in FSB.

Cons: Parts mismatched besides the bolt and carrier. No biggie since that is what matters most to me. Dust cover fit well but was ribbed with very sharp point near rear ejection so you had a good chance of opening up your hand if conducting an under rifle mag reload. Selector. The fit was GARBAGE!! It would sweep past the selector stop and dangle by the trigger, also would fly up past the top cover when placing the weapon on safe tripping the hammer, very unsafe. No amount of heat, hammering and reshaping could get it right.

So I know I am babbling on again but here are a couple of very easy things I have done to this rifle that in my opinion almost puts it up there with an Arsenal offering except for the Arsenal having a way better barrel and of course a few other things.

Replaced the ribbed non matching top cover with a Kvar milled non ribbed version.
    Replaced the stamped selector with a polish 1960 milled version. Fit like a glove.
    Installed a FCG pin retainer
    Performed a DIY trigger polish/optimization job. Action with polished hammer in conjunction with a milled receiver makes this AK like glass. Honestly smoother than an Arsenal. Installed a 74 style muzzle device to tame the kick a bit since I already do not enjoy shooting an underfolder too much I figured the break would help out.
    Installed an original Hungarian leather sling just for looks.
    Anyway guys, the milled version like mine is hard to or impossible to find for a reasonable price these days. I think maybe Century figured out they were killing their own c39 milled offering and a building the rest of the Hungarian kits on stamped receivers under the name AK63ds. If just a little elbow grease is all it takes to get the DS to the level the D is on it is totally worth the money right now and would recommend anyone who is interested to pick one up before they dry out. Classic still has them for $499 for the stamped version. Well, well worth it. I got well into 1.4k plus rounds so far and I dont know if its cause of the parts kits or what but there has been no deformation where it counts. A bit on the carrier tail but nothing crazy, Tapco hammers are known to be hard. Anyhow just figured I would share if anyone wants an under folder for $500 the ak63ds is more than worth it plus it is historically accurate for you purists.
    Just another bored Sunday, thanks guys, God bless.