• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    So I've done built me a 300Blkout hog killing machine lol and I'm pulling my hair out on a scope to use on it I will give y'all a run down on what I've built and the ammo I'm gonna be using
    The barrel is a 16.5 semi bull barrel 1-8 twist
    Ammo I'm gonna shoot is Barnes for-tx 110 grain tac - tx

I went by what several people told me to get a Nikon with bdc I can get the first dot dialed in at 50 yards and when I use the next dot for 100 yards I can't hit paper.

I'm wanting to use this for 50-100 max I hog hunt Eglin very rarely do you get a 100 yard shot.
    So y'all got any input on a scope that would fit my needs

Thanks in advance

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IF . . you are shooting the black tips as fast as possible OR factory ammo from Barnes,given the distances you will be shooting(even out to 200yds) the ballistics will be like any other chambering. The point blank range will be similar to a 308Win. This,given the kill zone of a deer,hog,or coyote.
    I shoot factory Barnes 110gr TAC-TX (21548) in both my 300BLK's. One a bolt gun (RAR 16.5" bbl,1:7 twist),and the other a single shot(NEF Handi AAC,16.5" bbl,1:7 twist).
    The factory box advertises 2350fps,however both guns chrono at 2375-2385fps. Even given the lower B.C. of the flat base bullet,within 200yds it is of no concern to me. Both of these guns wear a scope with no BDC type marks in it. They are both standard simple cross reticals. Both of these guns are sighted in for ZERO @ 50YDS. This zero,or possibly a ZERO that is (at the most) .5" low @ 50yds should work for you. With these ZERO's you should be able to hold "hair not air" out to as far as you will shoot.
    I would also reccomend a Leupold 2-7X33 for your BO. Set to 2X you can shoot at 5yds if needbe. And the 7X will take you out to as far as you should be shooting with a BO. Take a look at the turkey/ML offering . I love the thick crosshairs.
    My BO's have worked great for me,but remember,they are not a 308Win. They WILL kill just fine if the right bullet is used,and a proper range is not exceeded. ---- SAWMAN

Cynical

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I've done built me a 300Blkout hog killing machine lol and I'm pulling my hair out on a scope to use on it I will give y'all a run down on what I've built and the ammo I'm gonna be using
    The barrel is a 16.5 semi bull barrel 1-8 twist
    Ammo I'm gonna shoot is Barnes for-tx 110 grain tac - tx

I went by what several people told me to get a Nikon with bdc I can get the first dot dialed in at 50 yards and when I use the next dot for 100 yards I can't hit paper.

I'm wanting to use this for 50-100 max I hog hunt Eglin very rarely do you get a 100 yard shot.
    So y'all got any input on a scope that would fit my needs

Thanks in advance

Your 100 yd shot path is higher than your 50 yd shot, so if you're also dropping down to the next 'circle' in the scope reticle you're shooting over the target most likely.

Zeroed at 50 yd you should be real close (within about half inch) at 100 yd with the same aim point, same set of crosshairs.

I have the same scope on an ar in 300blk. I don't even use the lower aiming points. ESPECIALLY in your case with 50-100yd shots only, there is no need to use anything other than the center reticle.

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I'd Zero for 100 and call it a day.
    The bdc is meant for subs.

Good thing is you're doing one type of ammo. I had the opposite problem, trying to use one optic for both subs and supers. If you care to know, that approach is not very successful, but you'll be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm a big fan of the BLK I have an AR and a bolt gun both are sighted 1/2 inch low a 50 yards and are dead on at 100. You are shooting over the target using the bdc. As has already said use the center cross hair and you'll be close a 100 yards.

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sawman thank you so much for breaking this all down for me one question you talked about a turkey/ml offering is that a leupold scope option.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Go to the Leupold site and bring up the pics of their reticals. They offer a line of scopes designed for muzzleloaders and/or turkey type shotguns. They come in 1-4X24 and 2-7X33. These scopes are both a 1" main tube,matte in color,set to be parallax free at 75yds,and have a fairly thick retical.
    I have used both of these models on various guns for years. The 1-4X24 offering is great for the big bore lever guns and close range heavy recoil single shots.
    Don't be afraid of the thick crosshairs. I have shot groups well under a inch at 100yds with these scopes. The thick/heavy crosshairs comes in handy for the times when most game is taken also . . . early morning,late afternoon.
    And - - - > There is nothing special about shooting the 300BLK with bullets <126grs if loaded fast. Out to 200yds the 110gr Barnes black tips are the premier killer of deer and hogs of all sizes. The right scope will help you put the right bullet in the right spot. --- SAWMAN

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Ahhhh ok yea I see them now I have the leupold muzzle loader on my knight & hale and its heavy crosshairs also.

Also as for the ammo yes it's all Barnes factory boxes a buddy ordered a case thinking he was ordering 300 win and couldn't return it so I got the case at friends price. 200 bucks and a couple thousand rounds of 22lr.

That's how I ended up building this gun on this ammo scale
    Thanks again for all your help now I just need to figure out which one I really like the VX series wonder if the VX-R would be worth while

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have two Leupold VX-R scopes. A 3-9X40 is on my Benelli MR1(223Rem),and a 3-9X50 is on Remington 700 chambered in 308Win. Both have the standard duplex retical.
    I have owned both since they came out with that design. Love 'em both. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    So sawman I did it I got the
    Leupold
    VX-R 3-9x40mm FireDot Riflescope Reticle: FireDot Duplex wow what a scope this fire dot this is fantastic gonna take it out this weekend and get it sighted in thanks again for all your input.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yes sir . . . you will love that scope.
    Couple things from expierance - - -> Shooting either target or animal during the daylight hours(full sun)give the red dot a try. If you adjust it to the proper brightness it seems to draw your eye to the centerof the crosshairs more quickly. It seems to me to make my shooting more precise. Not to bright as to allow it to "bloom" though.
    When hunting - - -> better to have the dot set too low and have to turn it up,than too bright. Expierament with it at the range. Count the pushes needed. You do not want to have to go all the way up then start back down.
    Whe I get out of my truck I set it brighter,then as it gets darker,I simply push it down/dimmer by several clicks.
    The batts will last a good long time also. Actually,I buy in bulk(2032) so I can install a new one every year. I never had one run out of power on me. It is on from the time I leave my truck until the time I get back minus the "sleep" mode.
    Good Shootin' . . . with an excellent choice of optics. --- SAWMAN

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    20170906_212549_resized.jpg
    Hey Sawman she here mounted with a perp base and sighted in when I get pictures of the targets in I will load some up omg I'm sooooo in love thanks again for all your help.

Attachments

• 20170906_212549_resized.jpg
      20170906_212549_resized.jpg
      165.3 KB · Views: 92

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Great looking weapon there sir.
    Yeah,let us know how it shoots and with what ammo/load. Make sure you give the factory Barnes 110gr black tips a try.
    Try some bicycle inner tube on that grip. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 20170823_123715.jpg
      20170823_123715.jpg
      375.6 KB · Views: 91
    Last edited:

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    IMG_2951.jpg sawman you talking about these right this is why I built this gun to shoot these I got 1000 rounds of these and built my 300 around this round

Attachments

• IMG_2951.jpg
      IMG_2951.jpg
      109.3 KB · Views: 96
    Top Bottom