How to? Stripped bolt head in bottom of scope rings?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaBreeze

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Screws were way over tightened and now the heads are stripped?
    Drill press? I don't have one. Any other sure fire methods, with out cutting the rings?
    Thanks for the help, guys !

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What type of screw head, allen, trox std? Flush or above surface?
    Apply PB Blaster before trying to turn it.
    Smack the screw head a few times to help loosen the bond to the base.
    You can also apply heat directly with a soldering iron which sometimes helps.

Head above mount: Is there enough head left to file/cut a new sdt slot? Vice-grips also come in a thin tip version that may allow a good bite.
    Last would be to file or moto tool gring of the head, remove everything then work on the newly exposed shank to remove.

Flush fastener: Use a Easy Out Bit, threads bite with counter clockwise torque, removing the screw (or drilled shank). Depending on the taper of the Easy Out and the depth of the stripped hole; you may need to grind down the tip so the sides can bite.
    Cheap way, Put the correct tool tip in the stripped hole and smack it a few times to help loosen the bond with the base. Tap in another tip/ std s/d with angled edges and try for a bite using a adj wrench near the tip to get leverage while you press the tool in so it won't pop out.

Alternative: if you have a broken drill bit that would snug into the hole, the broken tip end is what you turn after inserting the other end in the hole. This will give you the correct bite to loosen the fastener. Tap it into the hole, turn with vice-grips or extremely slow with pressure in a drill.

Good Luck.

Good l

DaBreeze

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What type of screw head, allen, trox std? Flush or above surface?
    Apply PB Blaster before trying to turn it.
    Smack the screw head a few times to help loosen the bond to the base.
    You can also apply heat directly with a soldering iron which sometimes helps.

Head above mount: Is there enough head left to file/cut a new sdt slot? Vice-grips also come in a thin tip version that may allow a good bite.
    Last would be to file or moto tool gring of the head, remove everything then work on the newly exposed shank to remove.

Flush fastener: Use a Easy Out Bit, threads bite with counter clockwise torque, removing the screw (or drilled shank). Depending on the taper of the Easy Out and the depth of the stripped hole; you may need to grind down the tip so the sides can bite.
    Cheap way, Put the correct tool tip in the stripped hole and smack it a few times to help loosen the bond with the base. Tap in another tip/ std s/d with angled edges and try for a bite using a adj wrench near the tip to get leverage while you press the tool in so it won't pop out.

Alternative: if you have a broken drill bit that would snug into the hole, the broken tip end is what you turn after inserting the other end in the hole. This will give you the correct bite to loosen the fastener. Tap it into the hole, turn with vice-grips or extremely slow with pressure in a drill.

Good Luck.

Good l

Thanks for your thorough reply and the time it took. Im getting flustered. About to break the dremel out on those little X$^^@!& !!!

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's what I was thinking. Although it's a drive to get to JJ's place, it's always been worth the effort to me.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    By the way DaBreeze, I ended up buying one of the knife sharpeners that you lent me a year or two ago. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to try one before buying. That's what forum membership is all about, helping other members.

Go see JJ.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Drive a slightly oversized torx head bit into the screw head and slowly unscrew.

DaBreeze

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    By the way DaBreeze, I ended up buying one of the knife sharpeners that you lent me a year or two ago. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to try one before buying. That's what forum membership is all about, helping other members.

Go see JJ.

Good deal. Glad to help. Yep... Im going to JJ's. Let a pro handle this one. The torx heads are totally rounded out. Thank you loctite

Thanks to all that offered suggestions.

Top Bottom