• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    more;

The handgun chosen to be the U.S. Army's next generation handgun can fire if dropped while loaded. Tests conducted by gun bloggers has confirmed the gun will fire if dropped at a particular angle. The testing followed a multi-million dollar lawsuit by a Connecticut police officer who alleges he was injured after his Sig 320 handgun went off, critically injuring him.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/amp27683/p320-m17-drop-test-roblem/?ref=yfp

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you search more, SIG says the military version has a different fire control group which just happens to be what they will install in a recalled 320. Sounds like they knew about the issue all along.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I say Uncle Sam dumps sig and goes M9A3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you search more, SIG says the military version has a different fire control group which just happens to be what they will install in a recalled 320. Sounds like they knew about the issue all along.

From what I understand they issued an email stating a fix 4 days after the news of the "potential" issue came to light. Sounds like you're right, they knew.
    In all fairness, everyone poo poos series 80 1911's and holds the series 70 on a pedastol.

As far as the army keeping another upgraded 92 series beretta, I highly doubt it. When beretta offered them to try the a3 they pretended to be lookin at 40sw as an excuse to pass. If the army dumps Sig, unlikely, they'll adopt one of the other entries that passed the exams.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm sure CA will add a seventh drop test to the Penal Code that will require rear most portion of slide and frame contact cement slab at the same time per the vid. CA will do everything they can do to disqualify guns. Hell, they will probably want to retest every "Qualified" gun to the new angle of dangle test.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well a dropped gun should not fire. Period. Don't like California - really don't like the idea of being shot by a dropped gun, mine or someone else's. Sig needs to fix it and take care of that wounded officer.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well a dropped gun should not fire. Period. Don't like California - really don't like the idea of being shot by a dropped gun, mine or someone else's. Sig needs to fix it and take care of that wounded officer.

I take it you don't own any shotguns, series 70 1911s, one of the several variants of the CZ75 not drop safe, Browning Hi Power, SKS, AR15, AK47 the list goes on.....of not drop safe common guns.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I should have said that modern firearms should be drop safe. The 1911 and highpower are carried cocked and locked so - that is ok. I am curious about which variants of the CZ 75 are not drop safe. I am not surprised that the AK is not drop safe but I am surprised to hear that an Ar 15 is not drop safe (are you sure on that one?).

Sig's new pistol should have been drop safe from the start or they should have made it clear that the weapon was not drop safe..

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I should have said that modern firearms should be drop safe. The 1911 and highpower are carried cocked and locked so - that is ok. I am curious about which variants of the CZ 75 are not drop safe. I am not surprised that the AK is not drop safe but I am surprised to hear that an Ar 15 is not drop safe (are you sure on that one?).

Sig's new pistol should have been drop safe from the start or they should have made it clear that the weapon was not drop safe..

Absolutely sure on the AR it's a floating firing pin with no firing pin block the same with every shotgun i'm aware of of also. Take a look at a primer on a chambered but unfired round after it's ejected from an AR it will be dimpled from the floating firing pin. Just off the top of my head the Shadow series of CZ75 has no firing pin safety. 1911s and Hi Powers are still being manufactured without firing pin safeties by many companies. Cocked and locked doesn't prevent the firing pin from moving and firing a round if dropped.
    I don't see the 320 thing as an issue considering how many times they had to drop it get it to fire and considering they drop the Tacops model until the beaver tail broke of and couldn't get it to fire.

Either way I have no dog in the Sig fight since I don't own a 320. I will buy them though for $300 each from anyone who want to rid themselves of their defective product. :eyebrows:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ANSI/SAAMI Z299.5-2016 This is the Voluntary "drop test spec" recommended for Mfgs. Several types of firearms are exempt! The rest are dropped on a ONE INCH THICK RUBBER PAD laid over concrete. Mfgs may do drop tests that exceed that but i have never read about it and Mil/LE contract specs may exceed that.

Anybody ever hear or see anyone drop any type of firearm on a one inch thick rubber pad accidentally/negligently in the real world? There is no need to start a list of what firearms are dropped on in the real world and should understand THEY ARE NOT REQUIRED TO BE DROP TESTED ON ANY OF THOSE SURFACES (except concrete for a CA State sales requirement).

My simple view is the "perception" of what drop testing achieves is far greater then what it actually does, and there are millions of firearms that are exempt from the testing requirement. How many people did trigger work or swaps? Follow up with real world drop testing that?

There's always Isreali Carry and Lanyards could be mandatory at Ranges and must be clipped on prior to drawing your CC handgun. Lol.

1. Don't drop your gun.
    2. If you do, don't try to catch it: odds are your grab may fire it.
    3. Apologize to everyone you just embarased yourself in front of!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom