• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • apgraham

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    New guy here. The wife and I just got our first Self-defense weapons. She has had her CCP for years, I just got mine. It was in my pocket exactly one week (give or take a couple of hours) after my application. Can anyone beat that?

We've joined at ERGC to try to gain proficiency and we're looking forward to attending our first IDPA event.

Her's is a Taurus TCP. Apparently these, like the Ford Taurus, come in two versions. The "works perfectly forever" and the "OMG if jammed again?" We got the latter. I've been dismantling and polishing to try and get it smooth and reliable and making a few mods to help her control it. We'll see next time we get to the range.

Mine is a M&P Shield 9mm. Love it. Still getting used to carrying it. I've decided I like the 7rd mag better, so if there are any shield owners who want to trade their 7rd for my 8rd mag let me know.

See you on the range
    -Al and Paula Graham

Mozella

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    .............snip............ She has had her CCP for years, I just got mine. It was in my pocket exactly one week (give or take a couple of hours) after my application. Can anyone beat that?............. snip............

Actually yeah.......... I can. I walked into the local Sheriffs office and made application, paid the fee, had my picture made, and waited while my card was printed and laminated. it took all of about eight minutes. Unfortunately the gal made a typo and she had to re-do the card. That took an additional 5 minutes or so. Even with the delay, it was less than 15 minutes to get my 5 year card.

Of course I live over here in Alabama, the land of the free and the state which invented the tooth brush. Had it been invented elsewhere it would be called the teeth brush.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Welcome to the forum sir.
    I would never reccomend a Taurus pistol to anyone except maybe for a range/plinker type of weapon.
    Different with the revo's that I have been associated with. They are a good,solid gun,and definately worth the money paid for them. --- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Welcome aboard. Get the Mrs to join us too.

I would try different ammo in the TCP and see if its a ammo sensitive issue. If that doesn't help, I recommend you contact Taurus send the TCP back for repair under their Lifetime Warranty with a detailed letter covering the problems and ammo used. You may voild the Warranty if you alter the pistol.

There are a couple Threads here on firearm instructors and training that may be of interest as you start but there is a weath of info here and great people to interact with.

WR

apgraham

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Update for any who care.
    I seem to have fixed the feed issues with the TCP by modifying and polishing the loading ramp and lightly running a file up the edge of the extractor. The only problems last time out we that the slide lock sometimes engages when she shoots.
    This doesn't happen when she braces on the bench with her wrists well out over the edge, but is fairly common when she stands. Next time out we'll try a different stance and I'll try to video to see if she's hitting the slide lock during recoil.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Seeing a lot of people having issues with the TCP. Had one a week are so back called the Fac. while the person was here. They offered no help. The TCP has a heavy recoil , makes it hard to hold on to. I was able to make it run, but had to really hold on to it. The first thing that happened was, when I take my grip that use on my pistol , the slide got my hand, the TCP doesn't have a very good grip , for you to get your hand high to help control the recoil. If you want any help give me a call , give her you shield. That would be the right thing , for you to do If you love her. Just my 5 cents jj

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree with jj, pure physics: energy transfered to the design verses user grip. If the primary user can't overcome the issue 100% of the time a different firearm is needed. Though I like some Taurus products, service is lacking: I have been waiting three months for a warranty issue PT1911 rear sight set screw that's on backorder!

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like jj said,

Any small .380 like this that I've ever seen will have all sorts of malfunctions if you cant hold it still, and weak-wrist it during recoil. Letting the gun move backwards as the slide comes back, changes everything for the bad. And they've all got small grips- because they're pocket 380s-- so its hard to hold them still. Your description of your last trip to the range sounds like this is exactly what is happening.

Generally Im not a fan of revolvers, but for a case like this, it would be a lot more reliable way to go.

Top Bottom