• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I am curious why some companies make/sell aluminum case pistol ammo but I have never seen aluminum case rifle ammo?

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I figured someone would say that and I am by no means saying you are wrong but doesn't the chamber hold the pressure, not the shell?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I figured someone would say that and I am by no means saying you are wrong but doesn't the chamber hold the pressure, not the shell?
    It does, but brass still "flows" inside the chamber with all the pressure coming from within.

I'm no expert, and I honestly don't know the true answer. I was just offering my guess.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    GAU-8 Cannon used on the A-10 and other air platforms use AL cases all day long!!!

https://www.orbitalatk.com/defense-systems/armament-systems/30mm/docs/gau-8a_fact_sheet.pdf

GAU-8/A Cannon
    30mm, 7-barrel Gatling
    3900 rounds/minute
    Normal burst: 100-2500 rounds
    Ammo capacity: 1350 rounds
    Loaded weight: 4000 lb
    Length: Over 21 ft
    Linkless feed system
    108104_01
    Approved for Public Release November 2002
    #IS 02-S-2725
    Ammunition Technical Data
    PGU-13 HEI PGU-14 API PGU-15 TP
    Length (max): 290mm 290mm 290mm
    Cartridge weight: 681g 694g 681g
    Muzzle velocity (nominal): 1020 m/s 1013 m/s 1021 m/s
    Projectile weight: 378g 395g 378g
    Dispersion (typical): 0.6mr x 0.6mr 0.6mr x 0.6mr 0.6mr x 0.6mr
    Fuze: M505
    Cartridge case: Aluminum Aluminum Aluminum

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    It does, but brass still "flows" inside the chamber with all the pressure coming from within.

I'm no expert, and I honestly don't know the true answer. I was just offering my guess.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You know a lot more about that stuff than I do. I do not even reload. I was not trying to bash your answer. I figure if it could be used it would make for some cheap ammo that is not as hard on guns as steel case.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Pressure, heat reaction, ductility, cost etc.

The GAU use an aluminum casing but that was done for weight issues, not cost. I've heard the alloy (important which is used and for what) they use in the GAU is pretty exotic. I couldn't find anything on GAU pressures on a quick Google search.

It could be done but it's likely not worth it.

Chamber pressure for the 30mmx173mm is 50kpsi, according to orbital.

Also, if you really want to nerd out on the aluminum 30mm case. Search "30x173 aluminum alloy case" in Google and look for the dtic.Mil results (eighth one down on my results). PDF file 881759

One more PDF on dtic covers results from a study looking at aluminum for rifle cartridges. Short version, it can be done but it costs more.

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    http://ammo.com/casing-type/aluminum

Excerp: Melting Point

This won't be an issue for most people, but it is an interesting fact. When used in automatic weapons that are specifically manufactured for steel and brass, aluminum casings could melt or otherwise become unstable. Odds are you aren't hunting moose with an M-60 or MAC-10, so this is more or less a "non-issue" for most target shooters or for those training to use a new firearm.

As the Link states alum case are used by the A10 and Abrams tank but those cases are large/thicker then common rifle cartridge cases and less prone to melt down.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    *5.56 mm*Aluminum*& .50*Caliber*Steel*Case*Development5.56 mm*Aluminum*& .50*Caliber*Steel*Case*Development ...*Caliber*Cartridge*Case*. ... A Critical Assessment of the*Aluminum*Cartridge*Case*Failure Mechanism.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2011/smallarms/WednesdayAmmo12759Mil...

This Link reviews 5.56 alum and 50BMG steel case development. Burn through was a issue as was a 25 hour multi step heat treatment for the 5.56. I just browsed over it. Its a PDF File

http://ammo.com/casing-type/aluminum

Excerp: Melting Point

This won't be an issue for most people, but it is an interesting fact. When used in automatic weapons that are specifically manufactured for steel and brass, aluminum casings could melt or otherwise become unstable. Odds are you aren't hunting moose with an M-60 or MAC-10, so this is more or less a "non-issue" for most target shooters or for those training to use a new firearm.

As the Link states alum case are used by the A10 and Abrams tank but those cases are large/thicker then common rifle cartridge cases and less prone to melt down.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom