• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joekocon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    REDNECK Machine Shop! Needed!
    Actually, I'm looking for someone that has a machine lathe so I can "true up" the end of a Mossberg 500 12 ga. barrel, that was hacked off!

I'd like to clean it up and possible thread it (or get it threaded) for a screw-in choke.

Any advice, criticism or instructions readily accepted.

Olde Joe

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you want to come to Jay I can get that done for you, I have a centering tool just for trueing shotgun barrels. don't have the tooling to do screw in chokes. You should be able to bay a barrel for a 500 for just about what it will cost you to have it threaded for chokes. If you want to talk to me this is my # 850-572-6611 Just my 5 cents jj

JoelEBS

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Are you able to reprofile an AR barrel? I have a heavy barrel that I'd like to turn into at least a thinner barrel, maybe not pencil thin but just something thinner so its not so heavy. A friend of mine might be interested as well, we both figured it would be cheaper than ordering a new barrel just for some weight reduction.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its not my place to speak for JJ, (oneshot) but since Ive been there a few times for work, Im almost certain this would be easy for him. He mentioned it a few times yesterday when we were working on my SKS.

The thing is that the AR barrel is easy to remove and so can be placed into a pass-thru lathe headstock.

I would highly recommend just giving him a call, its a lot more easier for him to discuss this stuff on the phone, instead of typing.

reel_crazy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    heck if you really wanna go redneck just use a bench grinder , belt sander, disk sander...perhaps clean that up a bit with fine stone and a round stone or file and or some sandpaper...
    it is just a shotgun barrel after all...

now reaming and threading for choke tubes will require piloted reamer, tap in the size needed for choke/s you chose.. as well as checking that there is enough metal to work with,,

rich

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You forgot it also cost about 400 plus to get set up to do chokes. I have looked in to buying the tooling to do this, and as you said the barrel may not have enough metal to work with on some. Then to do thin barrels that takes difference tooling so you have more in the tooling. Just my 5 cents jj

reel_crazy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    joe...

if you want you can use my lathe to true it up... as jj noted the tooling needed for reaming and threading is hard to justify... it is possible to do it using a boring bar and single point thread tooling but would be a lot more time and fussing around for a one off..

rich

now if you want to go cave man it could be trued by palming it on a suitable rock...sort of like starting a fire...with sticks...

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Don't forget if it has a rib , you can't use a regular center rest, that is why I have center just for shotgun barrels for the end so I can do barrels with ribs. And don,t mass up the finish. Just my 5 cents jj

joekocon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    JJ! Thanks for all your help and consideration! Rich volunteered to true up the barrel so I visited him this week and he touched up the barrel.
    I bought the shotgun from a young guy who said he got it from his grandpa?! It was a 28" mod. barrel, hacked off at 18 5/16". The action reads Mossberg 500A, with tactical stock and forearm, looks like it wasn't ever fired. I was just "fishing around" trying to see if anybody local could thread it or I'll probably try to trade the barrel if someone wants a " porch sweeper".

Top Bottom