• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kbay1992

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hello all

I am new to this forum. I am wondering what other posters use for home defense, target shooting and animal control with their AR's.

I pay about .30 cent per round for xm193 and .33 cents for xm855 rounds.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I use this one. When I see it, I think of my ex-wife, then figure it's too late for her and don't shoot. See, No Holes....

:bounce:

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    XM193 or .223 REM 55 gr. ammo is more than sufficient for home defense, target shooting, and animal control. I store XM193 and some .223 REM 55 gr. ammo for general purpose ammo. I also have M855/SS109 ammo for SHTF ammo and 77 gr. OTM LR Mod 1 ammo for long range precision ammo.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    hey, she is kind of hot...in a cartoon sort of way....I would save her:flame:

Oh she was a Hottie, but a Beotch. So if a zombie got her, I'd watch and laugh. Probably watch and laugh if she was on fire too. :pound:

But really Kbay, I shoot the basic/cheapest paper targets, and have a few steels I shoot. After that, it's all about tight grouping for me.
    Animal Control... I have No Mercy. Feral Cats go down. So I sure hope Fluffy has a bright collar and a loud bell, otherwise, it's feral to me. Red and Green scope mounted lights for coyotes, raccoons, fox, bobcats and 'possums.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    interesting article;; is the .223 round lethal enough?

personally, I would prefer the military go back to .308 or 30.06

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...e-223-may-not-be-lethal-enough-for-civilians/

I will say this. In the case of taking out someone with one shot, a larger caliber is better. The 7.62x51 (.308) round is a good all-around choice for this purpose. Will .223 REM or 5.56 NATO do the job for civilians in most cases? The answer is yes. I have seen what these rounds can do. They are best for close confrontations (less than 100 yards), but are more than capable out to 500 yards with the right person pulling the trigger. This is why there are different calibers and configurations for different purposes. The AR-15/M16 has proven itself for nearly 60 years using the .223/5.56 round. For any general purpose AR-15, M193 and M855 ammo is more than sufficient for most civilian uses when it comes to defensive/offensive ammo.

Last edited:

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    interesting article;; is the .223 round lethal enough?

personally, I would prefer the military go back to .308 or 30.06

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...e-223-may-not-be-lethal-enough-for-civilians/
    I see the benefit of big bullets but I gotta disagree on standardizing the 308 or bigger across the force. Our 855A1 is devastating on flesh, I feel more so than the standard 855 just what I seen on my trips. Love the 7.62x51 in our GPMGs though, can't deny that suppression power. But everybody carries a belt or 2 for the MG tm to feed em. I humped a nice battle rifle in 7.62 for an OP that I knew I was going to be taking shots at 400m plus and wanted the extra power but man did it suck running back down to our ATVs for more ammo, more than a few times. Even with 7x20rd mags on my chest and some spare in a sack I still had to go get more. Not saying it was some epic fight or anything, just that my round capacity was severely diminished. That's just talking mountain fighting. Think of house work and now your talking a whole other ball game. Would rather have a 556 in the house anyday than a 308. Doesn't matter who you are, you are faster in the house with a lighter gun, and sometimes faster means your friend coming home to his kiddos. As much as I love N1 man position to enter, if I'm carrying anything larger than a 556 I grudgingly give up a couple spots to dudes running light. At any rate if you look at the way a typical infantry unit is arrayed, everything is covered from light assaulters to heavier caliber support by fire mg teams, light mortars and the Gustav guy, all of which are happy to relieve the weight as soon as the first volley flies. Just my thoughts on the matter, it's 2am and I'm bored. Not trying to bust your balls OP or change the topic of your thread. I personally won't use an AR for home defense, because reasons...lots of them. If for some reason I was being attacked from all sides at distances out to 500m then an AR would be in my defense plan but until I own a large parcel of land that I will need to repel a horde, I keep it simple but effective. Again it's 2am and I'm bored and this is just one lowly GIs opinion.

Top Bottom