• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In case you haven't heard I've scheduled a total solar eclipse on August 21st. Sorry, I couldn't get it closer but the path was the only one available at booking.

I plan on traveling to Bowling Green, KY to stage for the event but plan on being in Hopkinsville that morning, about 50 miles away and dead center. This was supposed to tie in with an event at the museum including some track time but I no longer see any reference to it on their site.

Pensacola will see some effect but nothing close to darkening like in the umbra or preumbra. I suspect that's going to be one populated 50 mile stretch come Aug 21.

RH

Attachments

• eclipse_full_map.jpg
      eclipse_full_map.jpg
      77.4 KB · Views: 210

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    But if you miss it I've also scheduled one for 2045, a lot closer.

Attachments

• 2045_08_12.gif
      2045_08_12.gif
      51.3 KB · Views: 216

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I hope the weather cooperates for everyone during this one. Last eclipse I was at the clouds blocked our view over in Perry,Fl
    That was over 40+ years ago
    edit to add March 7, 1970 Had to look up the date

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Rick, any recommendation on specs/shields for the big event...? I'm pretty sure we need some sort of eye protection. Thanks...

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ric The best filter to use is called a Bader filter. Locally Dr Wooten is the only one I know that sells them said:
    wwootwen@pensacolastate.edu[/email]

I can pick some up at Friday's club meeting if anybody wants one, they're about $5, I think.

Once the sun's disk is completely covered, only then is it safe to look naked eye. The corona will be all that's visible during that phase. This only happens in the umbra, the path of totality. Pensacola will not be anywhere near the umbra so you must use a filter to view.

As a side note I have reserved 2 rooms in Bowling Green for the event, I only need one. If anybody would like one of these rooms LMK before I cancel the extra. There's not a lot left along the path.

BTW, do not use smoked glass, film negatives or anything but an astronomically approved sun filter or risk eye damage.

Rick

reel_crazy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Rick

i am interested in the room if you still have it,,need to work out some details..

rich

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    image.jpeg

Me and some riding pals will be up there that monday in Nantahala Forest.
    Staying with a pal in Marble, North Carolina (between Murphy and Andrews NC)

ALL pending on weather forecast being reasonably clear.
    Scuttlebutt says all camping and hotels booked up.
    Gonna be a crazy weekend up thee!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      138.6 KB · Views: 172

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey Tony, that was going to be my second choice of location, had I known how much they're charging for the convention in Bowling Green it would have been my first choice.

I suggest staying off I-40 east of Chattanooga, it's always been a parking lot every time I've gone through it. When I was heading up to Blowing Rock, NC last May I got off 40 past Chattanooga and my GPS took me on the most wicked 25 mile stretch of road I've ever been on. Didn't see a sole the whole length, nor any sign of civilization.

This was a super twisty road with zero shoulder, just a 300' drop into the gorge, a bunch of washouts had been "repaired", no guard rails anywhere, dark, shaded, it was a spooky road.

I looked for it on the map and the best I can tell it's Hwy 221 from Hampton, NC to where it connects with Blowing Rock Hwy. I intend to find it again next time I'm up that way.

RH

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So looking at the map though it won't be a total eclipse here those of us staying local will still see quite a bit of the sun blocked out right? Looks like we sit at .86 or .87 magnitude which looks like most of the sun will be blocked, just not a total eclipse.

Senojeelnodnarb

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    If y'all need any advice about Western North Carolina I grew up in Canton.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So looking at the map though it won't be a total eclipse here those of us staying local will still see quite a bit of the sun blocked out right? Looks like we sit at .86 or .87 magnitude which looks like most of the sun will be blocked, just not a total eclipse.

There won't be much darkening here, even the one we had a 96% coverage only made weird shadows and a slightly yellowish sky. The further north you go the better the experience.

I've heard you can see the shadow approaching and once the sun is covered the temp drops significantly. While it's dark around you, you can see light around the entire horizon, like a 360 degree sunset.

The EAAA has been invited to set up at a farm in Hopkinsville, KY with another club local to KY. Anybody wanting to tag along with RC and I you're welcome, but you'll need to join the club to be invited to the farm.

We're also having another public stargaze at Ft Pickens Battery Worth Aug 11. Dr Wooten will have more info on the eclipse then, everybody's welcome to come to this stargaze, regular park fees apply, EAAA members get in free.

Rick

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Going up to WNC for the event. Actually blending two purposes; to explore the area for possible retirement, and to catch the eclipse.

Made reservations last month and will haul all our food and water as the cabin has a kitchen. Crowding is supposed to be horrible, they expect up to 7.4 MILLION to flood the path. I will gas up before I get into the area, and top tank on arrival to ensure we can motor at will.

EDIT: NOAA has a weather forecast site set up for the eclipse so you can check your are 7 days before for a better idea on weather....at least as good as weather guessing can be:
    http://www.weather.gov/cys/eclipse

Last edited:
    Top Bottom