• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I was wondering how the recoil compared between the two calibers. I have a 16" carbine length 7.62 and it has a surprisingly strong recoil. I went hog hunting with some friends a few months ago and one guy had a 8.5" 300 suppressed with thermal and since then I have thought that maybe I should own a 300. I have kicked the idea around of building one as trunk/HD/some hunting/camping gun. I do not reload and I wont have a suppressor or thermal in the next several years if not longer. How is the 300 recoil with a 7-8.5" barrel un-suppressed shooting super sonic? I assume they run reliably? I have a couple 10.5" 5.56 pistols now so I would probably just start out with an upper. I am thinking go shorter than 10.5" for ease of concealing. I have been turned off by the price of ammo but since I have other caliber ARs to shoot I would likely only buy a couple hundred rounds. Do you think the 300 ammo will drop in price as it gain popularity or has it gotten about as low as it will.

Kelsmor

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was wondering how the recoil compared between the two calibers. I have a 16" carbine length 7.62 and it has a surprisingly strong recoil. I went hog hunting with some friends a few months ago and one guy had a 8.5" 300 suppressed with thermal and since then I have thought that maybe I should own a 300. I have kicked the idea around of building one as trunk/HD/some hunting/camping gun. I do not reload and I wont have a suppressor or thermal in the next several years if not longer. How is the 300 recoil with a 7-8.5" barrel un-suppressed shooting super sonic? I assume they run reliably? I have a couple 10.5" 5.56 pistols now so I would probably just start out with an upper. I am thinking go shorter than 10.5" for ease of concealing. I have been turned off by the price of ammo but since I have other caliber ARs to shoot I would likely only buy a couple hundred rounds. Do you think the 300 ammo will drop in price as it gain popularity or has it gotten about as low as it will.

Contact me kelmorison @gmail.com. Affordable price

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    7.62x39 AR has more recoil than the Blackout, but not a lot. Come out to my place and shoot an 8" Blackout and compare. Short bbl Blackouts are as reliable as longer bbl Blackouts.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Definitely less recoil.

I don't think ammo pricing will come down much more without a significant bump in people using 300blk rifles (think gov contracts, foreign military etc). It's become popular in the last few years but let's across the board are way down. Online pricing is very close, at or just below my dealer pricing on that ammo.

It offers lots of advantages but because of its relatively short legs I can't see it ever being adopted on a large scale.

I like mine and they're soft shooters.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Supers have decent legs, and they offer soft recoil as well. Using pistol powder and reduced capacity compared to 556. Much softer, and most importantly, more reliable than x39.
    I love mine.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just remember that 300 that you shot had a thermal on it that adds some weight and makes the felt recoil less than a lighter weight rifle.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    "Supers have decent legs . . . ". I would definately agree with this. This is how my two 300BLK chambered guns are used.
    Remember,you are starting a bullet out at about 800fps slower than a 308Win. My 16" bbl Ruger will launch a 110gr at 2400fps. So what I am concerned about is retained energy at the longer ranges. I can load figures into a ballistics program and have it spit out the data to click my scope up so that my POI vs POA is the same at 600yds.
    But my guns will never see a shot >300yds. Probably 200yds.
    Remember also that everything is relative. There is no such thing as a free lunch,free bullet drop,or free recoil reduction. The 300BLK is bought and used for different reasons. It will never be a 308Win,and the 6.8SPC will never be a 270Win.
    Check the ballistics of a .308",110gr,at 2400fps. IMO . . . Pretty impressive for the recoil impulse to the shoulder. Don't check out past 300yds. If you want those figures,go to the 308Win info. --- SAWMAN

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks everyone. If I get a 7"-9" 300 I would never look to shoot it much more than 100 yards on purpose. I have a 7mm-08 bolt gun and several AR " rifles" for longer range hunting. I guess I need to check the inside dia of my pistol handguards and maybe I can just get a barrel and a flash can. I think this really is a disease!

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have about every combo you guy's are talking about and IMO, the short barrel AR in 7.62x39 with subsonic rounds has been reliable, cheap to shoot, and as far as recoil, I can't really tell the difference. But like everything else , we all have our thoughts.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My 8.3" side charger feels like a mouse fart with supers. Very manageable recoil.
    8d0f0b8a4da5cfd271bd0d3a4380b37e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Teach me about 300 barrels. Like I said before I would like to keep it short as possible. Difference in 7.5 & 8.5 besides the obvious? What about twist rates? Also any reason to avoid the contoured barrel? I will not be doing mag dumps and precision shooting.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    From all my research, there is a point where a barrel can be too short due to limited dwell time of the projectile. Anything shorter than 8" is not ideal (opinions vary) 1:8 twist seems to be what most everyone goes with. I'm sure there's plenty of guys on here more knowledgeable than me that can chime in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I like the fastest twist offered for hunting. But remember,generally,faster the twist rate,more pressure buildup. If the twist rates between guns is just one turn per inch,nothing to worry about,however three or so will change the dwell times and you "could" need a adjustable gas block.
    If you are considering bbl length,take into consideration the length of your muzzle device. Also with an extremely short bbl,how it's designed. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Teach me about 300 barrels. Like I said before I would like to keep it short as possible. Difference in 7.5 & 8.5 besides the obvious? What about twist rates? Also any reason to avoid the contoured barrel? I will not be doing mag dumps and precision shooting.

The rule of thumb per Gemtech is whatever the twist rate, have the bbl at least that long. 1 in 7 = 7" bbl at the shortest; 1 in 8 = 8" bbl at the shortest. Of course Gemtech's concern is preventing the bullet from hitting the suppressor baffles and damaging the suppressor, which you don't have.

I have Blackout bbls in 1 in 6, 1 in 7, and 1 in 8. I see no difference between them, so I feel the twist rate is nothing to worry about if you have 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 and don't shoot over 220gr. I've shot bullets from 108 to 220 grain. I measure my Blackout bbls for wear, keeping track of rounds fired vs bbl steel, and bbl treatment (if any). Based upon what you have posted, get the bbl with the features YOU prefer and don't worry about bbl life...you won't shoot enough rounds through it to matter. But if obsessed with bbl wear like I am, plain 4140 steel wears the fastest, and chrome lined 41V50 (sometimes listed as CMV) wears the slowest, with 416R and nitrided treated steel in-between those two extremes. In rounded off numbers (to the nearest thousand) assuming a firing schedule of 5 shots and let bbl cool to ambient temp, based upon actual firing and measuring of throat erosion and that at 1" of throat erosion the accuracy will fall apart shortly thereafter:

Plain 4140 = 11,000 rounds of jacketed bullets
    416R = 13,000
    Nitrided 4140 = 14,000
    Chrome lined 4140 = 17,000
    Chrome lined 41V50 = 23,000

I realize that the Internet postings will have you believe that nitride/nitrite/WASP/melonite, whatever you want to call the same process, will make a bbl last longer than chrome lining, but my Blackout bbl measurements show that is not true so far. While I'm also measuring .223/5.56 bbl wear vs bbl material and treatment, I don't have enough data on that caliber bbl wear to post results, but the trend seems to be that .223/5.56 is wearing slower than the Blackout. 1" of throat wear was/is the US Military standard for a worn out bbl under 50 caliber and their .22 and .30 caliber wear gauges are based upon that fact. That has been my experience also for the bbls I've worn out...shortly after 1" of throat wear, the accuracy goes from inches at 100yd to feet at 100yd within 250-500 rounds more. Of course for a Precision/match shooter, they would consider the bbl worn out before then, as soon as they see the groups starting to enlarge. I'm not gonna pull the records and add up the shots for this post, but I've fired between 17,000 and 18,000 Blackout rounds.

Top Bottom