Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast
    I saw this post and got excited about shotguns again. So what is the final verdict...is this a great home defense shotgun?

I looked at some of the shotguns in the armory where I work and fell in love with the Remington 870 SBS 12 inch models with a pistol grip, parkerized and holo sight. Of course I don't think an SBS would be practical for me in the long run. My only shotgun is a handmedown 16 gauge from the 1960s. Served me well when I was growing up, but maybe I should man up in the home defense department. Sawman's new machine looks like it might be the next best thing?

"Home defense gun" . . . ??
    My opinion is YES. But here are some goods and bads about this gun,and shotguns in general.
    In a home setting,ESPECIALLY with other family members in the house(or pets)there could be an over penetration problem. Especially with any high power load with shot bigger than #7.5 shot. Also with steel(or other than lead)shot. Possibly even with hard lead shot such as the Lawrence brand of Magnum shot. Please remember that your shot load comes out and travels downrange in a rather long "string". Not in one giant blob. It is similar to hitting a wall with a burst of machine gun fire. The shot string hits the wall over and over again. In almost the same place. This is typically why even bird shot will penetrate sheet rock and wooden walls,better than most people think.
    In our 2020sq ft house it is only my wife and I. It is a house that has a big master bed and bath on one end,and the rest at the opposite end. This,divided by a rather large living room with large couches and chairs. I have practiced clearing this house and it is rather easy. This shotgun is perfect for MY needs. Yours . . ? . . you have to be the judge,given your circumstances.
    This little shotgun is super easy to handle and shoot. If it is tucked to your side it is not quite as "accurate. Held slightly away from your body,square to your hips and shoulders,it is as accurate as any other scatter gun.
    For most,shooting the light to medium recoiling loads,this gun will be easy to master. I shot several of my 3" #2shot goose loads,and even a couple 3" "000" buck loads thru my gun. It is harder to hang on to and I had to repo my hand for the next shot. IMO these would be a bad choice for a SD/HD load.
    The other concern for some would be the shotguns capacity. It holds 5+1 of the 2.75" shells. But my gun will hold 9+1 of the Aguila Mini Shells. I have shot the #7.5 shot load thru my gun but haven't been able to locate any of their buckshot loadings. Remember also that the Mossberg version of these shortys is IMO waaaaay faster to load than the Remington version. I have been practiceing with holding 3 of the mini shell loads in my left hand and loading them after firing 3 or 4 of the mags load. With a little practice on just how to orient the shells in your hand,a three shot reload becomes fairly fast.
    All in all I would say that this gun is a great weapon for SD in a home or in a vechicle(given certain conditions). In my Tundra it is super easy to lay across the front seat with a towel draped over it. For me it is the easiest with the muzzle pointed at the radio.
    I would say that before you rule these guns in or out . . . go into your LGS and handle one. You just might get rid of that 18" pistol grip for one of these. --- SAWMAN
    "Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A (MK-23 / XM-207)

Thanks SAWMAN...Great insight! And my house set up is similar to yours. I'll go check one out.

Lemme know if you want to shoot my gun . . . . understanding you are some distance from me.
    Any other info needed,just ask. I have seen them for $369 with free shipping also.
    This is a pic of the small "holster" that I have altered somewhat to fit my gun. Just enough of it sticks out,to grab. It also has a sling so you can wear it across your back . . . or front. --- SAWMAN
    Attached Images Attached Images  

5. Likes SAWMAN's Post:

Remington to reveal a Mag. fed 870 pump 12 gauge tonight;

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-fed-shotguns/

John 15:13 "Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

You live and learn or you don't live long....

They copy a black aces shotgun?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8. Likes John B.'s Post:

FLT

Good idea < - - -> Bad idea ??
    A must have upgrade to their existing gun ??? Cannot upgrade the existing gun . . . must buy a new gun ???
    All the goods - - -> Much easier to insert another mag than each shell individually. Will hold one more shell over the existing gun (WOW !)
    All the "bads" or in the least so what's,or not a big deal's - - ->
    * Cost of the initial gun. With the equipment added to the gun,and the extra cost of the mag . . . guessing . . . another $75-$100 over the price of their origional offering.
    * Cost of the mag. Every buyer would have to get an extra mag. To either have extra firepower or a choice of a different load. Guessing . . mags will be at least $40-$70.
    * Ammo capacity. Initially only one more shot over the origional guns capacity. Soooo . . is that huge,long mag hanging down really worth it ?? I like to roll my gun about 20 degrees to the left when I fire it. This would be somewhat harder to do with the lowered mag and ammo. My Mossberg will hold 5+1 of the 2.75" or 3" shells. It will also hold 9+1 of the Aguila Mini Shells. IMO . . . somewhere in the fireing of 10rds there should be a call to go to shelter long enough to top off the mag tube on my gun.
    * Paid for but not used. What about the existing mag tube,spring,follower ?? It will not be used,why is it still there. Why will I have to pay for it ?? Maybe take all that stuff away and simply plug the front of the guns receiver ??
    * Carryability. For ease of carry and the center of gravity,I carry my gun with my hand directly under the loading port. Looking at the pic of the new Rem's,I cannot imagine how to carry this gun.
    I initially chose the Mossberg over the Remington for two good (to me) reasons. The position of the safety,and ease of loading,especially with gloves on. Nothing to push and hold down. Simply drop a shell into the loading port and push it in the mag.
    I see the new Rem's with extended mag making a good SBS for certain individuals. Just not for me.
    After owning and shooting my Mossberg Shockwave for some time now,I still highly reccomend this gun depending on your application for a shotgun. --- SAWMAN

10. Likes SAWMAN's Post:

Sawman, I like your holster. Is there a brand name on it? A Mossberg Shockwave 20 gauge is being held for me at a local shop...will pick it up next week when I have more time.

Talk to saw man about that 20 gauge, he lined me out on it, good information from him, fyi

Nothing at all on it Bruce. Got it at the Hadji show that we went to together.
    Will recognize the guy and his wife if I see him again.
    There are two different sizes that look almost the same EXCEPT for OAL. The longer of the two is waaaaay too long. Remember,your gun will be only 26 inches and you want enough of the grip sticking out for a quick,one handed,grab and pull.
    Mine goes in and comes out easily. I added some "extra's" to the outside of mine. 13 extra rds. --- SAWMAN