• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is no appreciable weight difference between the 500 and the 590; the 590A1 is the model with the heavy barrel which is slightly heavier than both the 500 and 590. The upgrades the 590A1 receives are the metal trigger housing, heavy wall barrel, and metal safety button. The receivers are all the same other than finish, I have two 14" 590 frontends on 500 receivers and one 590A1 frontend on a 590 receiver.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Soooooo . . . is the gun that I have a 590 or 590A1 ?? --- SAWMAN

It's a hybrid, it uses a 590 marked receiver with a heavy wall barrel. That is also one of the problems with Mossberg, as much as I love them, they are inconsistent on their offerings. Next year it may have a standard weight barrel. Personally, I've never noticed much difference between their heavy and standard barrels except in the 20" versions.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    So even though my gun came from the factory with a pistol grip and was transfered as a pgo. I still cannot cut the barrel to 14" if I use the raptor grip only. That would make it over 26" and its never had a buttstock on it

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Guys here could probably explain it better . . however . . IMO you can never chop a bbl to <18" unless you do the ATF paperwork. This,no matter the grip added or the guns OAL.

Going to Pensacola Rifle & Pistol Club tomorrow. -- SAWMAN

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So even though my gun came from the factory with a pistol grip and was transfered as a pgo. I still cannot cut the barrel to 14" if I use the raptor grip only. That would make it over 26" and its never had a buttstock on it

An 18" PGO you can chop provided you keep the OAL greater than 26". It's no different than what we were doing before the factory Shockwave guns became available. It's also why Shockwave came out with the hardware to do it.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Non-Expert opinion:

The BATFE published FFL Newsletter of Nov 2009 refers to "certain comercially manufactured firearms do not fall into the GCA category of SHOTGUN even though they fire a shotgun shell....PGO.. no sholder stock..... further: it is a firearm other then a rifle or shotgun requiring buyers to be 21YO, and how to list PGOs on the 4473.

Just because in its origional factory condition and classified as a FIREARM does not mean YOU can "MAKE" (per BATFE definition) it into a mossy/Rem Shorty Firearm clone. Logically (not that the ATF uses any) a firearm could not be a SBS unless you put a shoulder stock on it and and barrel and/or AOL were below minimums. There is another category called Destructive Devices and there was a lot of back and forth with ATF if they were going to put PGOs in that category "after the fact"' with them in production and sold to the public. It fizzled with no ATF action on commercial production PGO Firearms. There may well be liability "MAKING" a clone Shorty from your Firearm's origional configuration

The best recommendation I can give is to send a letter to the BATFE Technical Branch with a very detailed plan of what you have, what you want to do and the specifications of what you want to ent up with. This will get you a written response to keep in your files. Saying Agent Brown told you over the phone it was okay may lead to high lawyer bills.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Went to the range this AM with my 14" Mossberg. Took quite a few different shells to try out. Wanted to start with the 2.75" shells so my chamber would be somewhat clean when I switched to the 1.75" Aguila Mini Shells.
    Shot : 35 Winchester Light Target. Low recoil and perfect feed and eject.
    5 Federal "00" Buck Tactical/Police load. Quite a bit more recoil,yet manageable.
    10 S&B #4 Buck. Also more recoil,yet manageable.
    8 Various different loads that I had in "a few extra" container. All 2.75". Some high brass,some low.
    Then inserted my Op Sol and shot several Aguila mini slugs. These were somewhat hard to cycle into the chamber and hard to start extraction. Switched to the Aguila mini shells #7.5 shot that Bruce gave me. These cycled effortlessly and extracted/ejected in the same way. They shot perfect.
    With the Aguila slugs and #7.5 shot the recoil was a pleasant surprise. As most will,I found a tradeoff between faster shots with the mini's,and a heavier shot charge at a faster velocity. I will wait for the Aguila buckshot to become available again.
    Until then,I will be satisfied with my 10 shot (that's right gentlemen,my gun is now 9+1) Shockwave. If anyone wants to have their gun converted to a 10 shot mini shell gun let me know. (only $100.00)
    Pics are of the Op Sol installed and not installed. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 20170718_100559.jpg
      20170718_100559.jpg
      746.1 KB · Views: 234
    • 20170718_100626.jpg
      20170718_100626.jpg
      656.9 KB · Views: 226

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Got another box of Aguila #7.5 shot Mini Shells from a forum member that discovered them hideing behind something that he hardly ever uses.
    Took his time to meet me so that I could take posession of them little devils. ( Free To Me)
    We have some really great forum members here and I am really proud to be associated with some of you guys. Thank you sir.
    Just for the kindness shown,i'm gonna have Jerry and Denny come over and do some general yard work for you. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I saw this post and got excited about shotguns again. So what is the final verdict...is this a great home defense shotgun?

I looked at some of the shotguns in the armory where I work and fell in love with the Remington 870 SBS 12 inch models with a pistol grip, parkerized and holo sight. Of course I don't think an SBS would be practical for me in the long run. My only shotgun is a handmedown 16 gauge from the 1960s. Served me well when I was growing up, but maybe I should man up in the home defense department. Sawman's new machine looks like it might be the next best thing?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    "Home defense gun" . . . ??
    My opinion is YES. But here are some goods and bads about this gun,and shotguns in general.
    In a home setting,ESPECIALLY with other family members in the house(or pets)there could be an over penetration problem. Especially with any high power load with shot bigger than #7.5 shot. Also with steel(or other than lead)shot. Possibly even with hard lead shot such as the Lawrence brand of Magnum shot. Please remember that your shot load comes out and travels downrange in a rather long "string". Not in one giant blob. It is similar to hitting a wall with a burst of machine gun fire. The shot string hits the wall over and over again. In almost the same place. This is typically why even bird shot will penetrate sheet rock and wooden walls,better than most people think.
    In our 2020sq ft house it is only my wife and I. It is a house that has a big master bed and bath on one end,and the rest at the opposite end. This,divided by a rather large living room with large couches and chairs. I have practiced clearing this house and it is rather easy. This shotgun is perfect for MY needs. Yours . . ? . . you have to be the judge,given your circumstances.
    This little shotgun is super easy to handle and shoot. If it is tucked to your side it is not quite as "accurate. Held slightly away from your body,square to your hips and shoulders,it is as accurate as any other scatter gun.
    For most,shooting the light to medium recoiling loads,this gun will be easy to master. I shot several of my 3" #2shot goose loads,and even a couple 3" "000" buck loads thru my gun. It is harder to hang on to and I had to repo my hand for the next shot. IMO these would be a bad choice for a SD/HD load.
    The other concern for some would be the shotguns capacity. It holds 5+1 of the 2.75" shells. But my gun will hold 9+1 of the Aguila Mini Shells. I have shot the #7.5 shot load thru my gun but haven't been able to locate any of their buckshot loadings. Remember also that the Mossberg version of these shortys is IMO waaaaay faster to load than the Remington version. I have been practiceing with holding 3 of the mini shell loads in my left hand and loading them after firing 3 or 4 of the mags load. With a little practice on just how to orient the shells in your hand,a three shot reload becomes fairly fast.
    All in all I would say that this gun is a great weapon for SD in a home or in a vechicle(given certain conditions). In my Tundra it is super easy to lay across the front seat with a towel draped over it. For me it is the easiest with the muzzle pointed at the radio.
    I would say that before you rule these guns in or out . . . go into your LGS and handle one. You just might get rid of that 18" pistol grip for one of these. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Lemme know if you want to shoot my gun . . . . understanding you are some distance from me.
    Any other info needed,just ask. I have seen them for $369 with free shipping also.
    This is a pic of the small "holster" that I have altered somewhat to fit my gun. Just enough of it sticks out,to grab. It also has a sling so you can wear it across your back . . . or front. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 20170731_100015.jpg
      20170731_100015.jpg
      674.1 KB · Views: 320

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Good idea < - - -> Bad idea ??
    A must have upgrade to their existing gun ??? Cannot upgrade the existing gun . . . must buy a new gun ???
    All the goods - - -> Much easier to insert another mag than each shell individually. Will hold one more shell over the existing gun (WOW !)
    All the "bads" or in the least so what's,or not a big deal's - - ->
    * Cost of the initial gun. With the equipment added to the gun,and the extra cost of the mag . . . guessing . . . another $75-$100 over the price of their origional offering.
    * Cost of the mag. Every buyer would have to get an extra mag. To either have extra firepower or a choice of a different load. Guessing . . mags will be at least $40-$70.
    * Ammo capacity. Initially only one more shot over the origional guns capacity. Soooo . . is that huge,long mag hanging down really worth it ?? I like to roll my gun about 20 degrees to the left when I fire it. This would be somewhat harder to do with the lowered mag and ammo. My Mossberg will hold 5+1 of the 2.75" or 3" shells. It will also hold 9+1 of the Aguila Mini Shells. IMO . . . somewhere in the fireing of 10rds there should be a call to go to shelter long enough to top off the mag tube on my gun.
    * Paid for but not used. What about the existing mag tube,spring,follower ?? It will not be used,why is it still there. Why will I have to pay for it ?? Maybe take all that stuff away and simply plug the front of the guns receiver ??
    * Carryability. For ease of carry and the center of gravity,I carry my gun with my hand directly under the loading port. Looking at the pic of the new Rem's,I cannot imagine how to carry this gun.
    I initially chose the Mossberg over the Remington for two good (to me) reasons. The position of the safety,and ease of loading,especially with gloves on. Nothing to push and hold down. Simply drop a shell into the loading port and push it in the mag.
    I see the new Rem's with extended mag making a good SBS for certain individuals. Just not for me.
    After owning and shooting my Mossberg Shockwave for some time now,I still highly reccomend this gun depending on your application for a shotgun. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sawman, I like your holster. Is there a brand name on it? A Mossberg Shockwave 20 gauge is being held for me at a local shop...will pick it up next week when I have more time.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nothing at all on it Bruce. Got it at the Hadji show that we went to together.
    Will recognize the guy and his wife if I see him again.
    There are two different sizes that look almost the same EXCEPT for OAL. The longer of the two is waaaaay too long. Remember,your gun will be only 26 inches and you want enough of the grip sticking out for a quick,one handed,grab and pull.
    Mine goes in and comes out easily. I added some "extra's" to the outside of mine. 13 extra rds. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom