• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was a member there years ago and enjoyed it very much. Bought my first AR from one of the RO there (think his name was Josh, good kid from what i remember) What are they changing about the place?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    They changed the status with the IRS. The porch made it sound like semantics and that it ends up giving the range more routes to earn money without paying the taxes on that income. With the change though, the range has less power to deny membership to someone. That's how I took it and that's assuming I understood it correctly based on what their "hired gun"(his words not mine) put out.

I don't the the transition to the me tax status is necessarily a bad idea but there's lots of questions about why and how it was done.

The boards demeanor at the meeting didn't help their cause with the audience either.

pcolagunner

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    They changed the status with the IRS. The porch made it sound like semantics and that it ends up giving the range more routes to earn money without paying the taxes on that income. With the change though, the range has less power to deny membership to someone. That's how I took it and that's assuming I understood it correctly based on what their "hired gun"(his words not mine) put out.

I don't the the transition to the me tax status is necessarily a bad idea but there's lots of questions about why and how it was done.

The boards demeanor at the meeting didn't help their cause with the audience either.

It didn't make since to me regarding the change to pay less taxes when by their own numbers the club was only paying $1000 a year in taxes. I hardly think that demands a change. Also, the part about needing to earn more money for the club for improvements didn't make since when also by their own numbers there is $140,000 in the bank not including a 4 month reserved cushion. A lot could be done to improve the range by only using a fraction of that.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I was thinking the same thing. If I heard them right it cost $23k to replace the cover and tables on range 5...I'm in the wrong business.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It didn't make since to me regarding the change to pay less taxes when by their own numbers the club was only paying $1000 a year in taxes. I hardly think that demands a change. Also, the part about needing to earn more money for the club for improvements didn't make since when also by their own numbers there is $140,000 in the bank not including a 4 month reserved cushion. A lot could be done to improve the range by only using a fraction of that.

I'm fine with the status quo at the range. I understand we need members to pay for stuff but I don't want it to turn into the Santa Rosa public range either. The current tax burden doesn't seem to require any change but if filing differently gives the range more freedom to make untaxed income AND it doesn't affect the operation or the range, I don't think it's a bad idea.

My concern was how that change was handled, what plans does the board have to make more money that would make the new status beneficial, what those plans mean for the range overall, and why they aren't spending the non contingency funds that we've already got.

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm fine with the status quo at the range. I understand we need members to pay for stuff but I don't want it to turn into the Santa Rosa public range either. The current tax burden doesn't seem to require any change but if filing differently gives the range more freedom to make untaxed income AND it doesn't affect the operation or the range, I don't think it's a bad idea.

My concern was how that change was handled, what plans does the board have to make more money that would make the new status beneficial, what those plans mean for the range overall, and why they aren't spending the non contingency funds that we've already got.

I am completely with you guys. They hired a "gun" that cost the club $2400 a year to prepare a petition ( that cost $800) to save the club $1000 a year in taxes. New bathrooms , range 1 redone range 4 redone lots of site work on range 5 ( WAIT THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SHOOTING SPORTS, AND IT WAS COMPLETELY SHELVED TO REDO RANGE 4 ?????) plans change. and the club still has 200k in the bank. does not add up!

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I really hope everyone understands that she runs, or did run with her ex-husband, a ccw training business.

Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A simple change of revenue recognition can eliminate the 15% rule and we could run it as a C7 again with the ability to turn people away if they don't fit the mold. The reason we were a 100% NRA range in the past was to have an instant background check. If they were not members we could sign them up and the NRA runs a criminal background before issuing a NRA member number.

I have been a member at several different ranges and most of them would not let you join without being sponsored by a member and accepted by the new member committee. Basically you had to prove you could handle weapons safely and understand the meaning of a Hot and Cold range.

A monthly newsletter would have eliminated the problem we witnessed last night. But all you here is attend the board meetings but they will not let you ask questions without being on the agenda. I have never see a Board run that way.

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I found the 15 % and the statement that we are somehow "discriminatory" as a c7 to be nothing more than Smoke and mirrors. ( I have personally shot with people from ALL walks of life @ERGC) Discrimination ????? really?????? ( IMO ) to hide an "agenda" the general membership is not privy to. The member was correct to point out the "fee" for a "guest" ( what they claimed was putting our tax exempt status in jeopardy, is NOT CORRECTLY being associated to and collected from the MEMBER. And it is a simple process to include IDPA "Guests" as "limited" members. I am quite sure the lead recovery was included in the $30,000 number that was quoted. That also could be argued as "member" contributed. All of that was dismissed with a dramatic wave of the hand as "semantics" by the CPA.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    wow

the drama....

must be some women involved somehow...
    that's sexist I suppose...call me a caveman.

HughJoergan

Wiener Connoisseur
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I really hope everyone understands that she runs, or did run with her ex-husband, a ccw training business.

Maybe the reason he's an ex is that he got tired of her dicking with the business......

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    They aren't teaching together anymore according to his website.
    Yeah that's what I figured. The way she handled herself and the structure of the meeting was bitter at best. I really enjoy shooting at ERGC, I like the ROs and the other members, but if this goes any farther south I may end up at CORE.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah that's what I figured. The way she handled herself and the structure of the meeting was bitter at best. I really enjoy shooting at ERGC, I like the ROs and the other members, but if this goes any farther south I may end up at CORE.

I've been at CORE since it first opened as L&M, I love it. Matty told me yesterday at work they just closed the membership rolls for a while and are going to a waiting list. They are trying to keep the membership at 350.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I've been at CORE since it first opened as L&M, I love it. Matty told me yesterday at work they just closed the membership rolls for a while and are going to a waiting list. They are trying to keep the membership at 350.
    Ah, even better. I may just get on the list anyway. I really enjoy shooting out there and the versatility of the range is awesome.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ah, even better. I may just get on the list anyway. I really enjoy shooting out there and the versatility of the range is awesome.

Yep, it's hard to beat. It's easy to train without a lot of interference and unwanted "help".

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    On a lighter note.... 200 people did pledge allegiance to my hat

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom