• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joebob2

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just when I thought I was done buying guns for a while, someone posted a video of the guys out west shooting precision .22 rifles. Looks like a ton of fun. Now I want one.

Can't afford an Anshutz or the like, but would like to get a bolt action for the accuracy. I've been eyeing the CZ 455 series rifles, as well as the Savage Mark IIs, but can't decide which model would be best. Probably will eventually put a scope on it, but shooting with iron sights would be a good training tool. Really liking the CZ 455 training rifle. Does anyone have one that can give your opinion? Is there anything getting in that price range?

Capt. Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Don't count out a good 10/22. Lots of aftermarket upgrades to tacticool it out. Old Rem 40x if you can find one, but I do love my Annie!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My 30 year old Ruger 10/22,with a few mods,will shoot 1/2 - 3/4" groups at 50yds.
    NOT Win52 or Kimber84 accuracy . . . but good.
    If you want to obtain any degree of accuracy with a 22LR rifle you MUST have a good trigger. Another important factor is your ammo. IMO,a 22LR is the most ammo sensative chambering that there is. Unless you use the expensive Eley types of ammo (which I refuse to do) you must sort the ammo by headspace. I have a small gauge for doing just that. You would be surprised the difference in headspace from ammo to ammo and even from lot to lot. My most accurate loads are the Remington blue box but sorted by headspace.
    Don't forget to budget for a scope also. My gun has a 3-9X40 Leupold with fine crosshair. --- SAWMAN

Joebob2

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's what I've been reading. People say guns of the same model may not like the same type of ammo. The trigger on the CZ is supposedly very good and adjustable. Do you have a pic of that headspace gauge, or a link where I could look at one?

I know the 10/22 is a fine gun, and almost bought one a while back, but I'd like to get something that I don't have to throw a lot of upgrades into. And while I would love a Leupold, I will have to settle for something less expensive.

This is going to be a play toy since there aren't any .22 matches around here. I want something nice, but not break the bank.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not knocking the .22 or .22 mag, both are accurate enough, and I didn't see the video you spoke of. But have you considered the 17 HMR? It outright outperforms the 22lr and outperforms the 22 mag in velocity, trajectory (shoots flatter) and accuracy. But being a lighter bullet in grains, it drifts more so than a .22 in a crosswind, and doesn't carry the higher SD of the heavier 30g - 40g .22 round. But if you want accuracy, the .22 can't beat the .17 HMR. And it's just as fun to shoot, if not more fun. Higher cost in ammo is a little bit of a pain in the arse, but it is a boat-tail bullet opposed to the .22 bullet.

Joebob2

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The .17 HMR would be fun, but I kind of want to keep my ammo caliber variety to a minumum. Just easier logistics lol. All my pistols are 9mm except 1 .22 revolver, and my wife's rifle is .22. One selling point I used to get her to approve the purchase was that we could compete against each other. She shoots a little Mossberg 702 and does very well with it, but I don't want to cheat too much!

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Not sure what your budget is, Tactical solutions X-ring, or anything made by Kidd or Volquartzen.... all out of the box tac drivers based off the 10/22 platform

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you can find a early Marlin 880SQ, you hit paydirt. Mine is in the never sell category. Mounted a old 10X Weaver on it. There was one that hit GCGF Sale Board awhile ago. Wish the buyer would post a review of how it shot. This gun flys under the radar at in the second hand market because its viewed as just a marlin bolt .22 whem the majority of people want semi autos. Once its understood the price goes up! I wouldn't sell mine @ $1K.

How it came to be:
    http://www.marlinforum.com/You-got-...he-tale-of-the-Marlin-880SQ-Marlin-Forum.html

The Marlin 880/ammo tests (different stock) 300/500 yards:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jd5QYWjuCVM

Joebob2

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure what your budget is, Tactical solutions X-ring, or anything made by Kidd or Volquartzen.... all out of the box tac drivers based off the 10/22 platform

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Well, my budget isn't That much lol. Trying to keep the rifle cost under $400. Another $200 max for a scope. I don't expect it win any national championships but do want something decent.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    The CZ's are very nice and within your budget, I have had a couple and they shoot and look good, and pair well with one of the cheaper nikon scopes (walmart or ebay about 150.00

rob85k5

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Very much a savage fan. My Mark II TR-SR has produced nice groups out of the box with a heavy Boyds stock, from the factory. My Savage 93R17 BVSS shoots a little bit tighter.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO . . . . for precission target,stick with 22LR.
    This is the headspace gauge that I have used for the last 25 years or so. It is a well made instrument and you can easily sort your ammo by headspace alone. Drop a round in,slide the bar down until it stops,put in piles that correspond to the number on the bar. Try the different numbered piles of ammo at the range. I usually shoot 5-10 rds.
    I have found that different numbered ammo shoot up to 3 inches different. Even in the same lot. This gauge is measuring rim thickness (headspace) only.
    There is a bottom adjustment so you can set this gauge for long rifle,long,or short ammo. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 20170505_155426.jpg
      20170505_155426.jpg
      507.6 KB · Views: 195

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IMO . . . . for precission target,stick with 22LR.
    This is the headspace gauge that I have used for the last 25 years or so. It is a well made instrument and you can easily sort your ammo by headspace alone. Drop a round in,slide the bar down until it stops,put in piles that correspond to the number on the bar. Try the different numbered piles of ammo at the range. I usually shoot 5-10 rds.
    I have found that different numbered ammo shoot up to 3 inches different. Even in the same lot. This gauge is measuring rim thickness (headspace) only.
    There is a bottom adjustment so you can set this gauge for long rifle,long,or short ammo. --- SAWMAN

Still being made.
    http://www.neiljones.com/html/rimfire_gauge.html

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO . . . the "problem" with the Ruger 10/22's is: You have to put tooooo much money into them to get them to shoot better than good or real good. To get them up to the precission target (BR-50) level.
    Fact - -> No matches are ever won with anything besides a bolt gun. And there are only about 6-8 bolt guns thst are worthy. I have watched several of the matches that we have at our club. Those guys are just as comitted to accuracy as any professional benchrest shooter or 1000yd shooter.
    I believe that if you want to step into the 22LR precission target game,you first need to figure out what your accuracy "end result" will be. REMEMBERING . . . . having fun shooting will be just as important as all the rest. --- SAWMAN

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got excellent accuracy out of a Kimber model 82 government. Should be able to scare one up for around $400.

Rick

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    22 rifles that'll usually shoot .25 " @ 50 yds are :
    Rem 40X
    Win 52 Non Jap
    Sako P-94 , P - 78 , P - 72
    Mauser 201
    Cooper 36 or 57
    Anschutz 54 action
    Rem 541's
    shoot .3 to .4"
    CZ 452 - 455
    Rem 541 T
    Rem 581
    Win 52 Jap rero
    Kimber 82 or Hunter
    CZ is probably your best bet in your budget range . The CZ 453 IMHO has the best trigger which helps with accuracy . 22lr ammo is really the key . Difference in lot to lot varies even in high grade match ammo . As Sawman stated sort by headspace will improve your results . If you find a lot that shoots real good buy as much of that lot as you can .

Joebob2

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the info. I think I've pretty much decided on the CZ 455 training rifle. Those first ones you listed are definitely out of my price range. Also looking at scopes. The Mueller 4-14x40 seems to get good reviews and is inexpensive. I think the biggest problem with the 455 training rifle and scopes is that the rear sight gets in the way unless you use really high rings or remove it altogether.

As for triggers, there are upgrades for the 455 that are really cheap and will get the pull under a pound. After spending over $300 on the trigger for my CZ SP-01, $18 for upgrade sounds like a steal!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO - - -> Unless you have a "one hole" gun that you feel could be even better,for "normal" competition,somewher between 1 and 2 pounds is acceptable. BUT . . . it has to be completely free of creep and have zero overtravel. Having those last two will somewhat negate the fact that your trigger has a super light letoff.
    Scope - - -> For precission target,consider a scope with extremely fine crosshairs. And a scope with AO,setable for 50yds,or a scope that is parallax free @ 50yds. --- SAWMAN

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a ruger 10/22 target model with aftermarket trigger that will eat the center out of any target at 100yds. about $500 invested.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    PHENOMENAL !!!
    But wait . . . . define "target". --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom