• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dillo #23 down. Did my nightly look around with the hand held thermal and spotted one by the goat pen. About every other night they'd been digging in the yard. Ran back in the house to get the thermal equipped rifle. By the time I got outside, the dillo was in the yard. It heard me and ran off. A couple of minutes later one of my goats went on alert, looking into the woods. It was the dillo making a circle and coming back. Popped him with a suppressed subsonic frangible bullet. It ran further into the woods, but this time I could see the blood coming out. Walked into the woods about 30 feet and spotted the dead dillo with the thermal. Confirmed kill.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Did you put in a call to Stanley ?? He's got a recipe he calls "Toastie Toes". He sez it keeps up his testosterone levels for all them widows that hang out at that huge Bingo Parlor over in Fairhope. --- SAWMAN

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dillo #23 down. Did my nightly look around with the hand held thermal and spotted one by the goat pen. About every other night they'd been digging in the yard. Ran back in the house to get the thermal equipped rifle. By the time I got outside, the dillo was in the yard. It heard me and ran off. A couple of minutes later one of my goats went on alert, looking into the woods. It was the dillo making a circle and coming back. Popped him with a suppressed subsonic frangible bullet. It ran further into the woods, but this time I could see the blood coming out. Walked into the woods about 30 feet and spotted the dead dillo with the thermal. Confirmed kill.

Cant hide money

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Thank God for thermal and Goats. Good use of the equipment there Mr. Daezee!
    As for me, I just use the supernatural powers that SAWMAN teaches in his night vision class.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Yep, the goats have helped a few times. If they stop, stand still, and look in one direction, they've "alerted" to something. Look in the direction they are facing and maybe you can see what has got their attention if it's not hidden by plants. They seem to have pretty good night vision, and can swivel their ears to detect sounds like deer and horses do. They've detected deer, coyotes, and armadillos for me. If they see an armadillo, they pay no attention as it is not a threat, but if they hear one without seeing it, they will alert. They are even in tune to the different barks of our dogs, paying no attention if the dogs are just chasing or playing with each other.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mother nature is amazing.
    I had a coyote bait out in the middle of a large hay field up in in Maine. In the late afternoon if a coyote would come out onto the edge of the field,as much as 400yds out,the ravens would all stop eating and look in the exact direction where the coyote was. Remember also,the ravens eyes were only about 12-16 inches above ground level.
    At night,with no moon,looking thru thermal,we see animals alert on other animals from hundreds of yards away. Can they see them,smell them,hear them ?? Can animals tell the difference between other animals given these conditions ?? --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I often take the goats to 3 neighbor's properties for eating (natural food is much better for their system than processed goat chow). Many times I've seen the crows in trees cawing within .22 range at the goats or me, probably me. So I decide to take a .22 rifle with me...crows did not come near, but leave and land in trees much further away.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    24th dillo killed. FLIR thermal, 10.5" 300 Blackout upper w/USGI frangible bullet and suppressor. Shot at another one, but it ran off into the woods.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I do not eat them. Wearing gloves, I carry them to a far corner of the propery out in the open for the vultures to dispose of them. I tamp down where they have dug up the yard.

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do not eat them. Wearing gloves, I carry them to a far corner of the propery out in the open for the vultures to dispose of them. I tamp down where they have dug up the yard.

Hang em on a stake to HEED AS A WARNING OF THEIR KIND!!! hahaha

We use to shoot/catch em when I was younger and my buddies ate em...I never could. They do have good looking back legs full of meat!!! The disease they carry is leoparcy but ifin they are cooked, no worries. More worries hauling em off and not washing your hands....Keep killing!!!! I know when I take the dogs out at night, I go on a hunt or 2!!! I don't have fancy dancy stuff like you got!!! You got a set up!!!

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I often take the goats to 3 neighbor's properties for eating (natural food is much better for their system than processed goat chow). Many times I've seen the crows in trees cawing within .22 range at the goats or me, probably me. So I decide to take a .22 rifle with me...crows did not come near, but leave and land in trees much further away.

Those birds are very smart. There is a video somewhere of a crow or raven left in a room with a milk bottle and a piece of meat inside it, and just a piece of wire on the table. The bird tried to get to no avail , then tried with the wire still unsuccessful. Then fashioned a hook on the end with his beak and got the meat out of the bottle. Simply amazing.

Top Bottom