• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Did one last range trip for seating depth because the last time I went .020" and also .040" off the lands looked promising. So this time decided to .020", .025", .030", .035", and .040" with five shot groups and it looks like .020" is the promising load. The 5th shot i pulled the dang thing. But measuring the four shot group center to center measure .371". Now time to play around with powder charge. Of course if I don't find anything else I'll revert back to this load. I'm assuming the 45.8 grains has the load pushing 2650-2700fps but won't know until I shoot it through the chrono.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
      Capture.PNG
      305.6 KB · Views: 145

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What cal are you shooting? 308, 6.5, Lapua?

I'm running a .260 below are the specs for the load if you are curious.

Brass: Lapua
    Powder:H4831SC
    Projectile:140gr Hornady ELDM
    Primer: Winchester WLR
    Brass length: 2.025"
    OAL mesured to OGIVE: 2.270"

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Your process is exactly the opposite of mine -- I find the load first using the OCW method, then adjust seating depth to tweak. I'll be interested to see if you have to go back and adjust your seating based on load.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Another thought - - -> will your mag accept loaded rds that are long enough to engrave INTO the lands when bolt is turned in ?? I'm talkin' only about .01-.02" long. (Watch for pressure signs.)
    Have you checked bullet runout ?? When your groups start to tighten up these are always two of the things that I check. This usually will not make a difference when your groups are .500"-.600". But when in the .300"-.400" range,they surely could. --- SAWMAN

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Your process is exactly the opposite of mine -- I find the load first using the OCW method, then adjust seating depth to tweak. I'll be interested to see if you have to go back and adjust your seating based on load.
    I might need to tweak it a little when I work out to 300 yards and see how they print. But if I can find anything 1/2 inch or less center to center pushing the 140 about 2750 I will be happy. I generally try to find the rifles preference on bullet jump before experimenting with OCW. But I have done it the other way. I guess multiple ways to skinning a cat. i'll deffinetly keep you informed.
    Another thought - - -> will your mag accept loaded rds that are long enough to engrave INTO the lands when bolt is turned in ?? I'm talkin' only about .01-.02" long. (Watch for pressure signs.)
    Have you checked bullet runout ?? When your groups start to tighten up these are always two of the things that I check. This usually will not make a difference when your groups are .500"-.600". But when in the .300"-.400" range,they surely could. --- SAWMAN
    They are just a shy to long but nothing a dremel won't fix on the mag. This rifle will just be meant for shooting out to 1,000 yards. So single feeding won't bother me. But from pressure signs I have noticed anything yet and I haven't checked bullet run out.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have a NECO runout gauge if you want to bring some ammo over.
    Usually >.003" WILL effect accuracy. This,depending on the weapon. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    for what it`s worth. I had to go .005 off the lands, still shooting .33 groups. I recalled an obscure paragraph in a long range article about torque specs on stocks. loosened the screws ( were at 55 inch lbs and torqued @ 45 inch lbs groups went to same hole. 168 grain berger vld over varget.

Top Bottom