• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    :eek: a Rat ...
    This past Saturday morning around 0915hrs, a friend asked me to help him out with killing some rats around his barn area. No problem, I'm in. I grabbed my trusty .22 pistol and within a few minutes I got 9 rats. The rest scrambled off into ground holes and were gone. I went back that night around 2000hrs with my son, armed with .22's loaded with rat-shot. I got 3 with 1-shot and within 20 minutes, we got 29 rats. I went again last night at about 2030hrs, and when I opened the barn door, there had to been 50+ rats running everywhere. I spent 27 rounds of .22 rat-shot within 3 minutes (9-shot revolver). Only dropped 2 rats, but hit a good 98+% of them, as hair was flying and floating thru the air. Rats limping and hitting their ground holes for cover. I went to the next building, and again, rats everywhere. I shot another 18 rounds there, killing 3 with 1-shot again. I shot 1 rat 5 times, muzzle within 6-12", and it still hobbled off. I think this bunch were super rats or something, as stopping them proved to be difficult. The action was over within 15 minutes. Gonna start hitting them every night until I get them knocked down. My friend says before my kills, they've killed a little over 100 this past week. Gotta get more rat-shot today. Thinking of maybe using the .38 cal rat-shot on them tonight, maybe that'll stop them. Hunting or just shooting, it's fast and over quickly, but it's fun.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    .22 CB would work at your close ranges with very little noise or 22 shorts next increase in power if you have a gun for them. These may also increase your shooting time. That snake shot will get spendy with the number of rats your dealing with. A good scoped pellet rifle runs cheaper rat to round cost. You can also increase shooting time by running a loud continuous background noise (boom box, best to let it run 24/7 so they get use to it) which will "blend" your shot noise instead of shots, silence, shots.

Happy hunting!

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Start loading 38 shot shell it is easy and a lot cheaper to do. Just my 5 cents Look up shooting rats with pellet rifle and night scope on U-tube. jjj

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dammit, they're smart, they must have figured out 2000hrs is a bad time for them. lol... Gonna give it a rest for a few nights, as I only seen about 25 tonight. Got 4, hit 15 others for sure.
    Can't use anything larger than .22 rat-shot because of the animals within the immediate area, so no round-heads, .38 or .45 rat-shot at all, not to mention it'd blow holes thru the walls and possibly hit the animals or something else important. As far as using a pellet gun, that would be great, except they are inside 2 separate 12'x12' buildings, not outside, plus by the time you pump one up, 90% would be gone. I shot 27 times inside of 3 minutes last night, and before I could load 9 more rounds, they were gone in that building. That's how quick the action is. But maybe a Co2 pellet gun would work?
    I was thinking of putting some peanut-butter in a 6' long, 6" diameter pipe with a wire screen funnel on both ends, fashioned so they can enter but can't get out. Then take it outside and blast a #8 12ga round thru it. That ought to terminate them with 1 round. :evil:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    have you tried nailing bottle caps up where pets cannot get them, and putting antifreeze in them?

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yes, they have been poisoned and we used Ramik (the green nugget stuff that looks like dog food), and a week later the cake stuff was introduced. Both of which hasn't seemed to slow them down yet. I'm sure the poison's are killing them, but there's so many of them, and No telling how large their ground nest tunnels are?
    They were eating it (poisons), but it seems they wise up fast not to eat it because newly placed nuggets are untouched, and the new cakes only have a few gnaw marks on them, where the 1st ones were 1/2 - 3/4 eaten.
    Laced bottle caps sounds like an idea, but wouldn't be feasible nor anything larger than .22 rat-shot because of the horses, pigeons, quail and sensitive equipment beyond the walls. As it is now, it's shooting practice, and it's fun, just glad this infestation isn't at my house.

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Yes, they have been poisoned and we used Ramik (the green nugget stuff that looks like dog food), and a week later the cake stuff was introduced. Both of which hasn't seemed to slow them down yet. I'm sure the poison's are killing them, but there's so many of them, and No telling how large their ground nest tunnels are?
    They were eating it (poisons), but it seems they wise up fast not to eat it because newly placed nuggets are untouched, and the new cakes only have a few gnaw marks on them, where the 1st ones were 1/2 - 3/4 eaten.
    Laced bottle caps sounds like an idea, but wouldn't be feasible nor anything larger than .22 rat-shot because of the horses, pigeons, quail and sensitive equipment beyond the walls. As it is now, it's shooting practice, and it's fun, just glad this infestation isn't at my house.

no kidding, sounds like a mess...ratshot is pricey...

MOAB?

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Wow. is this normal in barns ? I've never heard of so many rats. I'm assuming he stores corn or something in there ?
    He needs a couple of barn cats. They will take care of the problem.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Wow. is this normal in barns ? I've never heard of so many rats. I'm assuming he stores corn or something in there ?

half a dozen rat snakes would help...need to be careful, bet the rattlers know about them too, and they hunt at night

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I knocked on the Link but it won't let me in. Lol

PulseTV

Visit: Past Deals • New Stuff • Clearance • Catalog • Help? Contact Us • Unsubscribe

Deal Connection

No need pulling your hair out trying to get rid of gopherr, moles and other rodents, grab this easy to use solution at the lowest price ever! Solar Powered Rodent, Gopher and Mole Repeller

List Price: $24.99
    DEAL PRICE: $9.99 (60 %Off)
    Get two for $17.98 (64 %Off)
    Visit Here for Today's Deal

Problem with the button above?
    Try Visiting Here

Have a rodent problem? Whether it be moles, gophers, shrews, voles or other small burrowing rodents, they can really mess up a nice yard.

This solar-powered mole and gopher repeller repels unwanted burrowing rodents with the strongest and least expensive power available - the sun! It's solar-powered and maintenance-free; you just stake it into the ground, turn it on, and that's it.

You won't need to change batteries or plug in this environmentally-friendly device. Best of all, it eliminates the use of poisons and traps that could harm pets and children. Since one full charge yields up to 4 days of trouble-free power, the unit is capable of operating without interruption even in unfavorable weather. The solar panel is embedded in a watertight ABS plastic housing, with only a single switch inside to turn it on. This really is hassle-free.

How does it work? It produces a sonic pulse at 400Hz every 30 seconds. Pets won't be affected, but rodents will find the noise irritating and eventually move elsewhere. It's got a wide range of coverage with 7500 sq. feet, but you'll probably want

one for the front and back yard! You'll hardly notice it staked in the ground, and it even touts a 'mow-over' design.

One of these is great, but did you know you save extra bucks when ordering additional units?

Features:
    - Solar powered, hassle-free
    - Covers up to 7,500 Sq. Feet
    - Lasts up to 4 days on one charge
    - Frequency: 400Hz every 30 seconds
    - Safe around children and pets
    - Water resistant ABS plastic housing
    - Attractive design blends with landscape
    - Rodents are chased away unharmed
    - Repels moles, gophers, voles, shrews, and other burrowing rodents

Protect your lawn from rodents with the Mole and Gopher Repeller! Now just $9.99, or
    save $2.00 more when you get two for $17.98

Thanks and be Well,
    Anisa & Team

To continue receiving emails, add deal@gophercentral.com to your address book

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

In some barns, yes. No corn stored here, But they have it better, a buffet of pigeon and quail feed.

As far as Cats. I'm a Cat Hater. I feel If I have to keep my Dog in my yard, then they should Have to Keep their Cat in their yard. So, in short, I'll shoot them along with the rats. Makes no difference to me, Cats or Rats.

Have a rodent problem? Whether it be moles, gophers, shrews, voles or other small burrowing rodents, they can really mess up a nice yard.
    This solar-powered mole and gopher repeller.........

Not sure if it'd work on rats? But the Easiest way to rid your yard of moles is to kill/poison their food source, which mainly consist of mole crickets, grubs and worms. Eliminate these, and the moles will leave and search of food in your neighbors yard. That granular stuff they sell works fine.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Okay, after last posting, the rats ate all the poisons put out. Big Green bars, box poison, those green nuggets (looks like dog food nuggets except it's green), etc. That slowed and knocked them down, but they're back. Admittedly, not as numerous as first postings, but still quite a lot.
    I went a bit ago, about 9pm and I got 11 big'uns, and 1 baby with eyes still closed. It was blindly crawling around the quail pen floor? Yes, I shot it too. Heartless I know. I hit maybe 15 all together, another 15 or so more got away as they were scrambling and diving into holes when I opened the door.
    I picked up 2 quail eggs off the floor. Don't know if they're fertile or not, but I'd assume they are. So if anyone incubates eggs, I'll give you these 2 and start picking them up each time I go rat killing there if you want, just let me know.

substratum

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What are the rats feeding on?

Top Bottom