• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm considering getting a couple goats. I have no experience with them other than at my relatives farms when I was little. I have about 3/4 acre that is full of brush so they should be well fed. What are some things that I should consider and where does a person buy a goat? I'm leaning towards pygmy goats but not sure. Im not planning on eating or milking them. Not initially anyway. Will they piss off neighbors? Do they need as much attention as a dog or can they be left alone to there own devices for extended periods of time if they are fenced in and have plenty of food water and shelter?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My wife has had goats for the last 13+ years. They're Pygmy and ? she's had as many as 25 but now has only 2 after getting tired of dealing with complications after the females gave birth. The can be left alone for long periods as long as fresh water is available but they need to be wormed monthly. She had 3 but 1 of them ate something poisonous. The wife thought it was nightshade
    She was a city girl and is attached to the ones she has left if I had my way they would be at the next auction but got to keep momma happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you for the info. I didnt know about monthly worming and complications with breeding/birthing.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Where, roughly, do you live? I am in north Santa Rosa County. Not an expert, but I have had goats since 2008. If close enough, come for a visit and we can talk goats. I walk with mine to 3 neighbors' properties for weed control and take a book to read while they browse.

Are there coyotes or feral dogs where your property is? My neighbors do not mind them and will give them some brush and vines for eating and come visit them. Neighbors know not to give them any ornamental plants, just natural stuff.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im in Walton County. It would be worth the drive for me to get educated on them. My schedule is pretty full right now but if it its okay with you, I could shoot you a pm when I get a handle on things and am ready to move forward with this endeavor. I havent heard of or seen feral dogs or coyotes around the the property.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Not to forget they eat well too, BBQ'ing is best. I've ate lots of them and of different breeds. To me, they rank right up there with deer in meat taste and meat quality. But if you're not into eating your pets, they re-sell easy and most are high dollar these days. So it's kinda hard to lose your money in them, as far as re-sell. Pygmies eat anything, briers and all. Most goats will too, but I have had several different breeds that wouldn't touch briers. g/l

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ive read that pygmies are good to eat and decent at producing milk as well. Kind of a good starter goat from what I've read so far.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The ones we've had love to eat Mimosa trees and killed most of the ones in my back field that we're a thicket choking out the piines. Once they had eaten all the leaves they started on the bark

BigDaddy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We had goats on too small of a lot, they were allowed around my barn and house and were very destructive. They were half/fainting goats. Keep in mind to fence them off in the are you want controlled and install gates

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Im in Walton County. It would be worth the drive for me to get educated on them. My schedule is pretty full right now but if it its okay with you, I could shoot you a pm when I get a handle on things and am ready to move forward with this endeavor. I havent heard of or seen feral dogs or coyotes around the the property.

PM when you can come over. Coyotes and dogs are death for goats. They need protection from them. If you have kids they can come feed treats to the goats. I have 12. I will have 2 more this year as I am taking in 2 older goats from a dear friend who has stage 4 cancer.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    upwards of $80 and more, depending on age and breed. The Boer goats are most expensive.

$25 is great price, but I'd be leery of it.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    They have sold for between $20 to $50 at the livestock auction depending on the goat and the market
    But that was at least 5 years or more

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Parasites (worms), dogs, coyote, birthing complications, billy smell - these are the main reasons I went to sheep when I raised them for the meat market. You will save money in the long run buying from an individual that raises these animals with proper practices, instead of auctions. Any time you bring a new animal into your herd, new health problems will occur with your established animals. If you buy all your animals from one producer, and maintain your worming schedule, you should be OK. Buy a good shovel though - sheep and goats are born looking fo a place to die.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    FYI, when your Billy starts pissing in his face and licking the piss off his face, time to get shut of him. Either BBQ or sell him. He'll turn mean after he starts this behavior and start ramming anyone nearby every chance he gets. I had one that did this. I kept a 55 gallon drum lid handy for a shield to block him when he was around. Anytime he saw anyone, he'd stand on his back legs and when his front legs hit the ground he was at full ramming speed until he hit you, and would continue ramming you. Funny I know, but they can be very dangerous if small children are around. No need in asking, I BBQ'd that one. And no, it wasn't a pygmy goat. Not sure of the breed, but was a big one.

Top Bottom