• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Personally I don't have any interest in a garage made suppressor. Let's be honest. These are going on firearms. A can out of spec has the potential to injure or kill you if something terrible goes wrong. I'll continue to buy from reputable manufacturers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Personally I don't have any interest in a garage made suppressor. Let's be honest. These are going on firearms. A can out of spec has the potential to injure or kill you if something terrible goes wrong. I'll continue to buy from reputable manufacturers.
    Meh! They're only flesh wounds. Plus, I don't want to give the federals $200, and be on their radar. They'll know where I live!!! They'll come and take my guns! So no, I'll just hang out and daydream of the day when me and my buddies can make suppressors out of paper clips, old chewing gum, and belly button lint.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hey a machinist made suppressor is hardly a home made unit, who do you think make a lot of these commercial units not? Just making it easier for any pro to get into the game is all. It is really very simple to make a suppressor for $150 that you now buy for $700, there is a huge markup due to the ATF and the regulations, it is not rocket science.

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It will be interesting for sure. I suspect some of the retailers will not be excited for this to pass if it drives the prices and margins down. Today they make more $$ on a high end suppressor sale than they do a firearm. I want - not need - a couple more so I can wait to see if it passes to buy - $200 is $200 a NIC check is so much better than even the former trust process. It is silly that they are controlled to begin with - too much Hollywood I guess. With the exception of .22 subs the idea that they silence a firearm is silly - ear safe - yes - silence - no. Borrowing from JJ - my .02C...

2ndAmendmentShooting

Master
    Local Dealer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Party pooper..

not a party pooper, just a realist. Until repubs have the hard majority (61), absolutely nothing will get accomplished in 3.5 years. God forbid we lose the mid terms and the next presidential election.

What is more realistic is when the Obama appointed BATFE director steps down in a couple months due to mandatory retirement, and when Turk is appointed director, that he reverses 41F.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think if a person can:

A. Build a 80% lower and drill the holes in the correct place and correct size.
    B. Cut threads internal/external.
    C. Weld (if design requirement).
    D. Understands the dynamics of pressure/velocity.

They could do the same with a suppressor build. Just like reloading, you can screw the pooch if you do a half ass job. Not "so easy a caveman can do it" but Its not rocket science, design and results will vary. Can a shade tree builder get the same db reduction as those companies with large engineering staff? We may find out.

If the Bill passes, 80% suppressor kits will surely hit the market too.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    So what happens when bubba screws on a glorified flashlight 80% kit at the end of a 7" 556. LOL
    Yeah, I think I'll stick with welded titanium, thanks. Haha

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    not a party pooper, just a realist. Until repubs have the hard majority (61), absolutely nothing will get accomplished in 3.5 years. God forbid we lose the mid terms and the next presidential election.

What is more realistic is when the Obama appointed BATFE director steps down in a couple months due to mandatory retirement, and when Turk is appointed director, that he reverses 41F.

Tons are being done with 51 votes more than the last 2 POTUS after 5 mos, only the retailers are worried it will pass, everyone else is onboard.

TURTLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So what about home made suppresors? How would that work with the background check?

2ndAmendmentShooting

Master
    Local Dealer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tons are being done with 51 votes more than the last 2 POTUS after 5 mos, only the retailers are worried it will pass, everyone else is onboard.

All the retailers I speak to hope it passes. We all hope it passes. Everyone is on board. The reality is that the POTUS, House and Senate have much more important issues to resolve at this time, and these two bills are insignificant in contrast to current events and issues. I have spoken with many people on the top of this issue, including CEO's and owners of 4 silencer companies, the owner of the largest silencer distributor in the US, the top lobbyist that is #1 on pushing HPA and all of them have echoed the same sentiments as my last message.

As for the quality and mass of manufacturers...there will always be a low and high end market, but you have pros and cons with each one. Passing of the HPA will not change this. The firearm industry still has $150 Hi Points and $3000 Dan Wesson's. The biggest issue with the lower end market with silencers with the tax stamp is people don't want to waste the $200 tax on a crap can. We are seeing this especially with Rebel and Black Aces Tactical. I have personally handled and shot both the Rebel 5.56 and 22 can and they are crap produced. We have already sent back all 3 cans on transfer due to manufacturing defects that led to baffle strikes. You know how many of the hundreds and hundreds of Dead Air and SilencerCo cans we have sent back for the same issues - Zilch. Maybe IF the tax stamp is eliminated, it would be worth it to take a chance on a $199 silencer.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Meh! They're only flesh wounds. Plus, I don't want to give the federals $200, and be on their radar. They'll know where I live!!! They'll come and take my guns! So no, I'll just hang out and daydream of the day when me and my buddies can make suppressors out of paper clips, old chewing gum, and belly button lint. 嵐

you forgot the most important parts, a 2oz plastic Dixie cup and 4 cotton balls soaked in bacon grease...

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    you forgot the most important parts, a 2oz plastic Dixie cup and 4 cotton balls soaked in bacon grease...
    That's way too safe, and it wouldn't let Darwin do his work. Lol
    I'm just not particularly fond of sh!t exploding that close to me. But that's just me.

Top Bottom