• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Last I heard not in '17 and because '18 is an election year probably not then either. Some in the ATF want to take suppressors off the NFA so that may happen quicker than legislation unless someone powerful gets behind it.

sjustice64

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've spoken with the head lobbyist for the asa, NRA and silencerco and he is saying 2-3 years to passage best case scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    GREAT NEWS!!

HEARING PROTECTION ACT LANGUAGE INCORPORATED INTO COMPREHENSIVE SPORTSMENS PACKAGE
    Written by ASA on June 12, 2017 - Comments

asa-header-logo

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The House Committee on Natural Resources has scheduled a hearing for the morning of June 14, in which the Federal Lands Subcommittee will hear a discussion draft of the Sportsmen’s Heritage and Recreational Enhancement (SHARE) Act. The SHARE Act, which is being championed in a bipartisan manner by Congressional Sportsmen’s Caucus (CSC) Co-Chairs Representative Jeff Duncan (R-SC), and Representative Gene Green (D-TX), is a comprehensive package that covers a wide range of hunting, fishing, and outdoor related issues. Included in the legislation is Title XVII, a strengthened version of the Hearing Protection Act.

Since the re-introduction of the Hearing Protection Act by Rep. Duncan and Senator Mike Crapo (R-ID) in January (H.R. 367, S. 59) the American Suppressor Association (ASA) has met with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) on multiple occasions to discuss technical amendments to the language. As a result, we were able to create several technical amendments that were incorporated into the current draft of the SHARE Act. These include:

Sec. 1702: Removing suppressors from the National Firearms Act, subjecting them to the same instant NICS background check as long guns, and issuing a refundable tax credit to anyone who has purchased a suppressor since the HPA’s original date of introduction
    Sec. 1703: Ensuring that suppressors will remain legal in all 42 states where they are currently legal, after suppressors are removed from the National Firearms Act
    Sec. 1704: Preempting states from levying taxes or registration requirements on suppressors. However, this will not make suppressors legal in any state where state law currently prohibits them.
    Sec. 1705: Granting the ATF 365 days to destroy all suppressor related records from the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR)
    Sec. 1706: Developing a “keystone part” definition, and requiring that such keystone part is serialized on every suppressor. This will ensure that individual suppressor parts, like pistons and endcaps, will not require serialization.
    Sec. 1707: Imposing a 10% Pittman-Robertson excise tax on the manufacture of each new suppressor, a tax that is currently imposed on all Title I firearms

“The inclusion of the Hearing Protection Act in the sportsmen’s package highlights the commitment of the Sportsmen’s Caucus to make the hunting and recreational shooting experiences safer and more enjoyable for all,” said Knox Williams, President and Executive Director of the American Suppressor Association. “We know for a fact that exposure to noise from recreational firearms is one of the leading causes of hearing loss, which is why the CDC, NIOSH, and the National Hearing Conservation Association (NHCA) have all recommended using suppressors as a tool to mitigate the danger. We look forward to working with the Sportsmen’s Caucus to make this legislation a reality.”

Suppressors have been federally regulated since the passage of the National Firearms Act of 1934. Currently, prospective buyers must live in one of the 42 states where they are legal, must send in an application including fingerprints and passport photos to the ATF, pay a $200 transfer tax, and wait for an indeterminate amount of time for the ATF to process the application. As of June, 2017, wait times are in excess of 10 months. In stark contrast, many countries in Europe place no regulations on their purchase, possession, or use. This legislation will remove suppressors from the onerous requirements of the NFA, and instead require purchasers to pass an instant NICS check, the same background check that is used during the sale of long guns. In doing so, law-abiding citizens will remain free to purchase suppressors, while prohibited persons will continue to be barred from purchasing or possessing these accessories.

To voice your support for the Hearing Protection Act, visit www.HearingProtectionAct.com.

ABOUT THE AMERICAN SUPPRESSOR ASSOCIATION The American Suppressor Association (ASA) is the unified voice of the suppressor industry. Our mission is to unite and advocate for the common interests of the suppressor community. To accomplish our mission, our principal initiatives focus on state lobbying, federal lobbying, public education, and industry outreach.

For more information on how you can join the ASA, and help protect and expand your right to own and use suppressors, please visit www.AmericanSuppressorAssociation.com.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All the bills I have seen require that back to a certain date

Sec. 1702: Removing suppressors from the National Firearms Act, subjecting them to the same instant NICS background check as long guns, and issuing a refundable tax credit to anyone who has purchased a suppressor since the HPA’s original date of introduction?

Think I read it would go back 2 years?? for the refund??

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I don't know the date, all I care about is it passing and me getting a selection of suppressors. This seems to be the latest and best way to get it done this year.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Right, until they all sell out. Everywhere...

Just buy what you want and don't worry about $200 you'd be getting back anyway, if and when it does. Big IF...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have a couple of sources that are machinist making as many as they can as far as they can and be legal, not marketing till something passes. They say in their business there are hundreds doing that right now in preparation all over the country. All they did was take the most common ones and clone them. There will be a supply shortage for a while till these guys finish their builds and start selling their stocks.. We shall see

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dan they are talking about what the market will bear of course but unbranded they are thinking initially 1/2 of what you can buy now. About $100-150 to build. I am trying to get one to let me help in funding his start up, help out a bit just to get my foot in the door. Talk to any metal workers/machinist you know, in regular business now and see if they are interested. Initially they will sell every one they can make for at least 5 years...just have to build right and then they can get into more design/custom but the basic units at first to build the business. Trying to catch the next big thing

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I could see that, but it's a gamble.
    It'll be tough getting into business when every bubba in America with a CNC machine will be diving in as well, and if regulated and serialized like any firearm, bubba will need a license. Applications will be deeply stacked.

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I can't imagine going into a business where household items like oil cans and flashlights are your competition, and all that for a 75% margin, assuming there's no distribution involved.

For such a long game like this, you need more meat to make it worthwhile.
    Just grab you a 30 cal can with the $200 incentives that are going on that negate the tax stamp and buy you the accessories you'll need. You won't regret it, even if it does pass. JMO.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    yeah these are not solvent traps or oil cans, they are the real deal BUT you are right lots of competition that is why a small investment covered by inventory will get me what I want and him a good start. Really more of a guide to get him licensed, legal, diagrams and specs of cans,where to advertise and sell his units. Gets off to a goos start up and running smoothly.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Right, but a solvent trap adaptor, as well as handy types with YouTube and flashlights, and other cnc guys are ALL competition.
    I think once the fruit is no longer forbidden and the average shooter gets it out of his system by running one of the cheap alternatives, suppressor use on handguns will decline some, because lets face it, (except for a few VERY well made models) they're clumsy, stupid and you (usually) can't see your sights, until manufacturers bring more stuff like Maxim 9 to the market, which bubba machinist and curious YouTube watcher can't compete with.

So that leaves rifles, in which case, it better be well made to run 556 and such, but you still have the other problems.

I just don't see it, and for that reason, I'm out.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    All I want are 10 suppressors, I buy the materials and he makes them for my help...not much expense just a bit of expertise he may not have.

Top Bottom