• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have received a few emails about the upcoming board elections for ERGC. Within those emails there's some other information about some potential changes for the range.
    I bring this topic up to see if any members have received the same information or maybe some more/different insight.
    This isn't about the future of one shooting lane but the vision of the range as a whole.

Thanks, JW

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm getting those same emails.
    Seems to be a move to change our IRS status.
    Strong feelings opposed to this change.

Next meeting is second thursday in April @ 6pm.
    Pace fire station behind Pace High School.

Try to come! :thumb:

Armyvet35N

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I honestly don't think we should take "advanced" tax advice from a CPA.

Maybe leave this for arbitration with a tax lawyer, or even an IRS Enrolled Agent (full-time tax practioner).

Just don't see anything wrong with the system they have now. I have a short tolerance for "good idea fairies".

just my .02

Last edited:

Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not to sure about the CPA they hired. There are no other ranges around organized as a C4. The NRA has a C4 organization for their government lobbying. The current Treasurer wants to try and get away without paying any taxes but he is putting the future of the club in danger by lying on the IRS application. There is a saying in the Finance and Accounting world Pigs get fat and Hogs get slaughtered. Looks like someone has been at trough too long.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'm not really sure how to take this information either. I'm getting conflicting emails about what are facts and what is slander. I'll add to what Gas Port said, seems like some changes need to be made. I'm ignorant to a lot of the inner workings of the range but if the board is going a different direction than what the members want, well...

Armyvet35N

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was explained to me .....our current status is in agreement with the NRA Underwriting the insurance for the club. I am told our current insurance status ALLOWS draw from holster. This change will end draw from holster shooting sports at ergc. The reason other close by clubs/ranges do not allow draw from holster is the insurance they carry WON'T Allow it. No draw from holster......no shooting sports. That is really all I need to know. #2 I also am to understand, we ( MEMBERS) were to be informed and agree to this kind of change, Pryor to any application being submitted. If in fact, the board did not follow protocols and went around the membership........that is good enough for me. They got to go.....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I was told the same thing by a RO the other day, then received an email stating the opposite.
    If this decision is made for ERGC I will not be renewing my membership nor promoting the range as I have in the past. I hope this will all be "old conversation" in a couple months and things will continue on as normal.

RussSurfs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I have been shooting IDPA there for a couple of years. My membership was up in February and I have been trying to decide if I should renew because it is so far from my house I really only go for the matches. I never received any emails while I was a member. Is there any way to get someone from the board to weigh in and give us an update on these concerns? This might be more accurate than our thoughts and opinions. If that is not an option, should we make a showing at the upcoming April meeting to share our concerns? I don't personally know anyone on the board or have any experience with them so I look to some of you to find out if these are good options.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    We'll see. If I don't like the changes, I'm out.
    I always thought bringing my own target stands was stupid anyway.

Last edited:

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lets not all run away yet. The club is going to make sure that we can continue to draw from the holster and have the shooting disciplines. The elections are April 6th- pay attention and vote as you see best.

Russ you cannot leave the club. We are required to have a certain number of left handed shooters and if you leave then we will be one too few, so sign back up or we will find you. :)

Dan, our basketball team needs you so you cannot leave either.

SpitFire

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you don't like the current leadership, vote them all out. I believe someone will be at the match tomorrow who likes the shooting sports/et al and wants your vote! I am no longer a member there but do follow what is going on. For me, it's just too far a drive to make it worthwhile.

RussSurfs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I am not an accountant but in reading the IRS description of both of the designations on their website, it is pretty clear that the 501c7 is the correct designation for the purposes of the range and the club. I'm not sure what advantage being a 501c4 would have, but it would definitely be a stretch of the definition.

helo_hunter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I became the ERML Sportsman Foundation (501c3 organization) President last month and so am involved in this process.
    Escambia River Muzzle Loaders was set up with a 501c7 that oversees day to day operations. Later, a 501c3 was established to accept the land ownership from Escambia Country. The club does business as the Escambia River Gun Club.
    Last year, the 501c7 decided to become a 501c4 because, as stated by the club treasurer, that would avoid a tax issue. A 501c7 cannot have more than 15% of its income from non-member fees. The application was sent in with numerous mistakes in its statements but was the application granted by the IRS. Per the ERGC president, the club is now a 501c4.
    There are a number of concerns with this action - why was it not put to a vote by the membership? Why was the application sent in with mistakes? And the list goes on. Lots of emails have gone back and forth between the boards and between members and the 501c4.
    I have requested a meeting of the two boards, open to the membership, to discuss the club, the 501c4 and the upcoming election.
    As soon as a date and location is set, the Club will announce that information and I will pass it on here in the forum.

Jeff Clites
    President ERML Sportsman Foundation

helo_hunter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The 501c3 has not changed and is still active.

Top Bottom